• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Concerns over NHS referrals to weight loss programmes

I was listening to this on the radio this morning. Apparently 2500 people in Nottingham were prescribed a 12 weeks Slimming World course last year, I never got it though!

In theory it's a good idea, if you can stick to it. I think you need to be a certain type of person to be successful with eating plans alone. I, unfortunately, am not one of those people and have tried Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Rosemary Conley etc many times over the years and failed miserably!

If it works for some though, who cares if it's lining the pockets of a private firm, the health of those referred is more important than who gets the money at the end of it in my opinion.

Of course success also rests on whether the person attending can afford to pay the fees themself after the 12 weeks has ended.

H x

Having the band suggested to me and my GP by my arthritis consultant as a cheaper treatment than 2 new knees in the next few years I had to jump through the required hoops so my Gp had evidence to support my application for funding (they had stopped the Orlistat the consultant had prescribed me when I started regaining weight while taking them despite having lost over 4 stone on them). Having lost very little on weekly weighin with my GP they were on about me joining a slimming group and I moaned to the surgery nurse about the costs etc plus never having been to one I had the view it was a trained seal circus. She said she could arrange vouchers for me so I said fine I'll give it a try. The letter arrived I got the details of Slimming world and weight watchers and off I went to see what they were really like. My local Slimming world was to me the happy clappy type of club I dreaded, Weightwatchers well they have this mad woman as a leader who is just totally insane a non maintaining gold member who is fighting to get back to gold and the meeting is never predictable, you can guess which one I joined. In the mean time my finding application had gone in. I started at the beginning of December and after 12weeks I was offered another 12weeks of vouchers as I had lost weight, by now I had my funding and thought the more I lose now the better I will cope with the op and less risk to me. I saw the Consultant and got praised for losing some weight.

I now have my date within the 18weeks deadline they have they set. Next week I go for my pre-op and to meet the gasman and just over weeks later I should have my op. I have lost 26.5lb with weight watchers and achieved my 10% goal last week, I am proud to have done that without the op so when the weight falls off post op I know I can make it with the bypass to. I will continue to go to weightwatchers for the group support ( I never thought I would ever hear myself say that about a slimming club) the trackers for what I eat.

Last week when I was presented with my 10% keyring the leader asked me to talk about my journey to weightwatchers etc so I explained it all to the group and told them of the plan to have a bypass and what I understood it to involve and why I had chosen to have it done. Some were shocked but all were supportive no one said, "well you are losing weight are you still going to go ahead", they understood why without asking or stating that question. This week I will tell them all that I now have my date as I don't want them to feel I am cheating having the op and then big losses, when some are still struggling to lose even a limited amount of weight compared to me. We all have our hangups and I want to be honest and not accept praise that isn't entirely my own to accept. Yes I still have to eat with in the bypass restrictions and learn new ways to eat and live, it isn't an easy path I have chosen. One of our members has lost a huge amount of weight very quickly just on the pro-points diet and gets told off as he is losing it so fast his wife comes to and while she is losing, she is not losing it as fast as him. I need to be honest with them all so that they don't worry for me as they do for him nor make them feel they are not doing enough in their fight to lose weight. Despite my initial scepticism about slimming clubs this group has worked for me and given me some good tools and support to use once the bypass is done so I can make the most of that tool to.

After this week I will have to afford the weekly fees myself as I think to lots of vouchers is my lot and I would feel I was cheating taking a free place once I have had the bypass. But it gave me the chance to prove I can do the whole weight loss thing again to my self and take that positivity with me to the new challenge and a grup of people who share far more than their successes each week and give me tools to help myself and hopefully I have and can continue to give them support to.
For some it works for others it won't we have all been there so often in our journeys and we all take what help we are offered in the hope it works for good this time.

x x x

Last edited:
Its interesting. There are "extrinsic" and "intrinsic" issues when dieting. Extrinsic factors are things like knowing food groups and knowledge of how to manipulate your food groups to keep your energy intake low enough to lose weight. WW etc are very good at teaching you these things.
I think where they fail is with the intrinsic factors ie your head.... your motivations for eating and how to change eating behaviour. They certainly try....but when you have repeatedly 'failed' and yo-yo'ed with your weight your whole life like I have, then they don't work.
Its also a club I never really wanted to belong to either so I didn't really join in properly.

Isn't the point of any news on the Forum, keeping abreast with what is going on in the world. The point of any article is that some members may find the content riveting and others fall asleep reading it, but isn't that up to us to decide?

Last edited by a moderator:
Penelope as a weight watcher i have to say you have a fantastic attitude to weight loss and your surgery. Well done and all the very best to you on your journey xx

I kind of agree with you on that one. Let's face it - most of us will have tried WW/SW/Rosemary Conley and Uncle Tom Cobley and all but, if they had been the 'answer' and been a success, then we wouldn't have need of this site. We have gone the extra mile; bariatric surgery, in whatever form it takes, is not an easy option. It may be that in the months to come I find myself back at Slimming World and I would then question whether it had all been worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of agree with you on that one. Let's face it - most of us will have tried WW/SW/Rosemary Conley and Uncle Tom Cobley and all but, if they had been the 'answer' and been a success, then we wouldn't have need of this site. We have gone the extra mile; bariatric surgery, in whatever form it takes, is not an easy option. It may be that in the months to come I find myself back at Slimming World and I would then question whether it had all been worth it.

Since I have been posting on this Forum, I have learnt that many Post Oppers, some time down the line have gone back to Weight Watchers or Slimming World. It helps keep them disciplined and in the healthy eating mentality. Its not because surgery has failed them, its more that they dont want to fail the surgery.

Yes, Im back at WW at 21 months out of surgery - not because it has failed me... on the contrary I am pretty much at a healthy weight and maintaining. I joined because I could see bad habits becoming part of my every day routine, and I want to be accountable. Weighing in every week means Im afraid of gaining for fear of looking daft in front of the WW leader.

Since I have been posting on this Forum, I have learnt that many Post Oppers, some time down the line have gone back to Weight Watchers or Slimming World. It helps keep them disciplined and in the healthy eating mentality. Its not because surgery has failed them, its more that they dont want to fail the surgery.

I agree 110% with that comment Sydenham. I moaned at 5 months post op that i had stopped losing weight. I believed my bypass had failed me when i had in fact was failing my surgery. I rejoined weight watchers approx 6 weeks ago and have since lost 12lb, i wouldn't have done this i believe or if i had i wouldn't have been able to sustain it if i hadn't had my surgery. Because of my bypass and the size of my portions now i can stick within my allowance and i will get to goal....

What I'm saying is that because I have pinned so much on this surgery that, yes!, I will feel like a failure if I have to go back to Slimming World. I can understand that going back to these slimming clubs can strengthen and focus our good eating habits and all the good bits that we get/got from there but I guess I thought that that was a road I would never tread again.
Thank you for all your comments - and I do take them onboard.

x

What I'm saying is that because I have pinned so much on this surgery that, yes!, I will feel like a failure if I have to go back to Slimming World. I can understand that going back to these slimming clubs can strengthen and focus our good eating habits and all the good bits that we get/got from there but I guess I thought that that was a road I would never tread again.
Thank you for all your comments - and I do take them onboard.

x

Lynda we've all questioned ourselves when we've resorted to going back to slimming clubs. This time last year i'd have said to you ''i'll never darken the door of w/w or s/w again'', well it appears i was wrong. I sincerely hope you never have to go, but i don't consider myself a failure because i am there. I consider myself as someone who was not using their tool to it's full capacity and needed a bit of help to stay focused... x

Lynda we've all questioned ourselves when we've resorted to going back to slimming clubs. This time last year i'd have said to you ''i'll never darken the door of w/w or s/w again'', well it appears i was wrong. I sincerely hope you never have to go, but i don't consider myself a failure because i am there. I consider myself as someone who was not using their tool to it's full capacity and needed a bit of help to stay focused... x
Thanks, Julie (?),
I think my despondency stems from the fact that, at 2 weeks post-POSE, I've only lost about 6lbs and I see these posts from people losing a stone within 3 or 4 weeks, regardless of whichever procedure they've had. And I do get hungry. I guess it's fear more than anything else. This whole process can be scary and complicated - more so than I had thought it would be. If I'm following the 'rules' I want some results.
xx

Back