• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight-loss schemes help patients 'more than the NHS'

RoseA

BBC News - Weight-loss schemes help patients 'more than the NHS'

Quoted from BBC article...
"Dr Susan Jebb of the Medical Research Council found in a study that people in a WeightWatchers programme lost twice as much weight as those with GP care.WeightWatchers part-funded the study, but Dr Jebb stressed similar schemes would be as effective."

Hmmmm.... not the whole story, methinks !

How convenient for them to part fund the research!

Just read that myself and was coming here to post it but you beat me to it :D

Also, not sure whether it's been mentioned elsewhere yet but NHS funding is being handed back to GPs so PCTs will no longer exist. Whether that's a good or bad thing I guess will depend on individual GP's attitudes to WLS I guess.

I'm wondering how much weight each set of groups put on after they stopped attending?

I read this this-morning....not much conflict of interest with WW part funding the study, lol! However, I wonder exactly how much is to do with the fact that those attending these WW meetings etc are paying out of their own pocket for it, vs not having any sort of financial input if one attends a weight clinic at the local doctors? Personally, I know when I went to WW (& at the time I think I was paying around £4 per weekly session), there was no way I wasn't going to make an effort when I was paying out of my own money. Just a thought anyway.....

Hmmm Im with Julie on this, Id like to know how much has been put back on after the research period finished! X

Hmmm Im with Julie on this, Id like to know how much has been put back on after the research period finished! X

My thoughts exactly... they should do a follow up study looking at the same people a year on...!

Back