• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused about NSAIDS post-wls

IsabellaL

Hello,

while browsing the site I came across a thread that said nsaids had to be avoided post op. This is the first I knew of this and I'm a bit concerned as I suffer dreadfully from headaches, my doctor calls them continuous migraines as they can sometimes last for weeks at a time, although the norm is more like a couple of days. When I have these I just take generic store brand pain relievers which are a combined asprin/paracetamol/caffeine tablet. Over the years I have found these work best. As I'm on lansaprazole I'm aware that this protects my stomach to some extent from the asprin. Will I be unable to take these after my bypass?

I was taking ibrufen for my arthritis which I had to stop before my operation (bypass) last week you cannot take any anti inflammatory drug for the first 6 months and then not on a regular basis this is what i was told dont know if this helps you ??

I didn't realise that asprin was an anti-inflammatory, but from the list of nsaids given on the thread I read it is? Is that right? If it is right what do we take post op? What have you been advised? I'd love to think my headaches would miraculously stop post-op but that's not going to happen. I imagine you're in the same position? What will you take instead?

Yes asprin is an NSAID they can cause stomach bleeding. You need to aak your surgeon as I think some prople are advised they can take them for brief periods as long as they are on Omeprazole or other PPI to ptotect the stomach. First call is your surgeon.

It was me who bumped that other thread as I am using Voltarol gel externally, i.e. Nowhere near my tum.

Paracetamol should be fine but check.

The hospital pharmacy gave me codeine to take home which I have a problem with, at the minute I am taking paracetamol only and coping when I have healed I will go and see my own doctor to see what I can us. They gave me morphine in hospital as i told them i couldn't take codeine :)

Thanks for the info Chrissy. Honestly this site is a God send as I'd have had no idea otherwise and would probably been popping them like sweeties. I'm going to have to try and find something else that I can take otherwise I'll end up in bed for days at a time and that's no life. Paracetamol has no effect on my headaches at all. I'll have a word with both my surgeon and GP and hope they can come up with something.

The hospital pharmacy gave me codeine to take home which I have a problem with, at the minute I am taking paracetamol only and coping when I have healed I will go and see my own doctor to see what I can us. They gave me morphine in hospital as i told them i couldn't take codeine :)

My Mum has osteoarthritis but has also suffered from bleeding in her gullet so can't take a lot of medicines. She has some 30/70 codeine/paracetamol tablets that she can take for short periods as long as she also takes omneparsole, but she has not had wls. I hope your doctor can help you with pain relief. Hopefully as the weight comes off that will also help enormously. The only ways is down - but in a good way:D:D

Hi from a medical perspective...NSAID should always be taken on a full stomach so after a meal in order to avoid GI upset.

Therefore after a Band/bypass/sleeve you will advised not to take NSAID as you will not have a full stomach & thus suffer GI upset.

Also there would be an absorbtion issue.

Other option is paracetamol/codeine mix which shouldn't cause any GI problems.

Good luck

Thanks for that - at least there's an option out there then which is a huge relief. How you doing? Still on liquids? Hope it's going well :)

Thanks for that - at least there's an option out there then which is a huge relief. How you doing? Still on liquids? Hope it's going well :)

Still doing ok on liquids...varying the liquids so I don't get too bored.

Watched come dine with me & literally salivated at feel food!:D

Feeling fine post operatively & healing well...amazingly not starving but realise that's a placebo effect as I have no fill in my 10ml band.

Trying to get organised for purée stage with a nutri bullet & ice cube trays of purred meat n gravy,veggies & pots etc as I will be back at work by purée stage.

Just wondering what 1 ice cube of mash potato equates too in tsps:confused:

Will I manage a cube of mash, 1,of veg & 1 of meat or is that way too much:confused:

Yeah NSAIDS should be avoided completely post surgery. Even when taking a PPI. When I first had surgery they gave me codeine to take home which was sufficient in keeping me comfortable. Definitely discuss concerns with your surgeon about any long time medications that you need to take, some times alternatives can be found for you.

Still doing ok on liquids...varying the liquids so I don't get too bored.

Watched come dine with me & literally salivated at feel food!:D

Feeling fine post operatively & healing well...amazingly not starving but realise that's a placebo effect as I have no fill in my 10ml band.

Trying to get organised for purée stage with a nutri bullet & ice cube trays of purred meat n gravy,veggies & pots etc as I will be back at work by purée stage.

Just wondering what 1 ice cube of mash potato equates too in tsps:confused:

Will I manage a cube of mash, 1,of veg & 1 of meat or is that way too much:confused:

Sounds like you're doing well:) Funnily enough I was just looking at nutri bullets as I think I'm getting one too. Sorry can't help you on the cube of mash measurement. If it is a placebo effect (rather than post op swelling) that means you're not hungry long may it continue:D

Yeah NSAIDS should be avoided completely post surgery. Even when taking a PPI. When I first had surgery they gave me codeine to take home which was sufficient in keeping me comfortable. Definitely discuss concerns with your surgeon about any long time medications that you need to take, some times alternatives can be found for you.

I hope so, though I'm sure my Mum has said that codeine actually gives her a headache which is a bit worrying:confused:

Codeine can also cause constipation, a problem that many of us suffer from post-op, so should not be taken for too long.

Lynn x

Funny you should mention that as when I saw my consultant last week I mentioned that I do often have constipation and was a bit concerned about this post op. Then today I received a letter from him (with a copy sent to my GP) and under the heading diagnosis it said constipation! When I read this letter and looked at the ailments he put I thought myn goodness I'm falling to bits!
I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that wls, rather than just being the solution to weight and health problems which it very well might be, nevertheless comes with its own set of complications. And that's assuming all goes well and I don't end up with any stomach complications. It certainly is food for thought ( excuse the pun!)

Back