• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused and Confuddled!

Rockchick89

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some help maybe you have been in the same situation. Ive recently been to the doctor who mentioned gastric banding. I hadn't mentioned anything, although have thought about this for 10 years despite only being 22years of age. I was 18 stone at 10 and a size womens uk 28. I have always been big and only lost weight once through illegal slimming pills, but once i stopped taking these i gained some of the weight back, but I stayed at a size 16-18 throughout my teens weight at about 14/15stone.
When I hit 22 I started to gain weight- nothing changed in terms of eating habits, drinking job etc. So I worked hard to keep my weight down, but it crept up at a very fast pace, I decided to join the gym and get a personal trainer combined with low cal 1000-1300 cals a day. Man they work me hard! And in the 6 months of being pushed to tears, being sick and aching all the time, I was still gaining weight. Going from 14 n half stone to 18 stone in 6 months and staying being 17 stone 11lbs to 18st 4. (this is depends on how my fluid retention is.

I kept goin to the Dr's explaining how hard i was working and yet im gaining weight and inches. My Bmi went up from 35.5 to 40.2. My cholesterol went from 5.something to 11.9, my triglycerides went from 230's into the 800's and I had high blood pressure, fluid retention in my legs arms and hands (the chol and tri's over 4-7 weeks) My dr said she had never seen anything like it and gave me water tabs for my swollen legs. Nothing was taken further, I requested to see a new doctor and only now 8 weeks later I have been seen. (This has been ongoing now for near on 8 months.)

She has read through my notes and spoken with my p.trainer and read my food diary, to see how hard i have been working, she is referring me for for Gastric Band Surgery and I need to go back in two weeks. So what I'm basically asking is, how likely will it be that I may be accepted? And What happens from here?

Sorry for the rant, btw if anyone has had the same health problems have u had any answers? Its getting me down big time! x
Thanks for taking the time to read x

Last edited:
Hi Mazza thank you very much for your reply. I have had a look on there before and Im from Blackpool and says: 'Local criteria but further information awaited'

I didn't think to ask the Doctor the requirements it was such a sudden thing and I was running late for work (I was expecting the same quick 5 mins appointment, to get weighed and told to join a slimming club or to eat less).

I will have to see what happens over the next few weeks.

Again thanks :) & Congratulations your success x

Hi,
Have a good look around these forums, there's loads of good information and advice to be had.
As Mazza already said, waiting time and criteria can vary greatly from region to region!
Lots of luck to you
Em xxxxxx

Hi Evenstarr,
thanks for your reply, I have spent ages looking through peoples posts. Its a great read and found them really helpful :) hope your appointment went okay :)

Laura x

Hi Evenstarr,
thanks for your reply, I have spent ages looking through peoples posts. Its a great read and found them really helpful :) hope your appointment went okay :)

Laura x

Hi Laura,
Thanks, my appointment went great, they've agreed to my op and I'm now on the waiting list which is 2-3 months. Have you found anything out about waiting times etc in your area yet?
Em xxxx

Em, That is FAB news! I am soooo pleased for you! :D

No I haven't has any luck finding any info tbh. I am just goin to be patient and wait to see my doctor again and ask all the questions I should of in my last appointment, it was just so sudden. She has contacted me (via post) to inform me that I have to do weight management consisting of the usual exercise programs and a dietitian. This is what i'm currently paying someone at the gym to do! I cannot cancel with them until August (as per my contract).
Just glad to have the ball rolling :) hopefully I will get my answers at my next appointment in a couple of weeks.

Laura x

Back