• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused.....

mazza141180

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi all, after originally deciding surgery was for me back in 2008 I have spent the last 2 years actively fighting to try and get it. My gp sent details off to pct who have finally agreed to it after declining multiple times and I have an appointment with Mr Khan tomorrow morning. Now I'm worried that this doesn't mean I'll get the surgery! What will this appointment involve? Any input would really be appreciated!

Thanks guys x

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow :) I am going private so I cannot comment on the appointment, but just wanted to say good luck :)

Hi all, after originally deciding surgery was for me back in 2008 I have spent the last 2 years actively fighting to try and get it. My gp sent details off to pct who have finally agreed to it after declining multiple times and I have an appointment with Mr Khan tomorrow morning. Now I'm worried that this doesn't mean I'll get the surgery! What will this appointment involve? Any input would really be appreciated!

Thanks guys x

good luck tomorrow, you might like to know as of the 1st of April all the PCT's have now become Clinical commisioning Groups or CCG's for short. This means that all bariatric surgery is now being considerd on the NICE guidelines:

"body mass index (BMI) of 40 kg/m2 or more or they have a BMI of between 35 kg/m2 and 40 kg/m2 and other significant disease (for example, diabetes, high blood pressure)"

this applies accross england as the CCG's funding is taken from a National wide pot of money and not local area funding as the PCT's did.

So depending what your situation was before the NHS changes to PCT's you may find getting funding for surgery a bit easier. it is deffinatly that way in my area. before April the PCT criteria was BMI of 50 or above with comorbitities which is quite strict but i know of areas that did only take BMI's of over 60.

they may get you to do some test to assess you for things like high blood pressure or sleep aponea, but this is only to make sure you will be fit when it comes to the day of surgery. I know if you do have sleep aponea, you have to have been using the masks for treatment for at least 6 months before they will under go the operation, could be simular for high blood pressure, but im not sure.

either way the fact you got referal is a good sign so far ;)

Thanks Mazza and Jaybo :)
I had to fit criteria to get this referral initially so ok in that respect. Just worried now that they won't put me forward for surgery as they will want me to go under the weight management clinic despite trying for many years to lose weight loads of different ways!!

I don't know the procedure for your area but wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow xx

Wow!! So I've been to the appointment and saw Ana, who has gone through my options with me and given me sooooo much info she was amazing!! I've also seen a dietician who advised me on losing some weight before my next appointments. I've got my next appointment with a psychiatrist and the doctors, have to book in to attend a group session that talks about pre op diet and also an appointment to see the doctors!

IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!!!!!

Wooooooooo!!!!! :)))))))

Wow!! So I've been to the appointment and saw Ana, who has gone through my options with me and given me sooooo much info she was amazing!! I've also seen a dietician who advised me on losing some weight before my next appointments. I've got my next appointment with a psychiatrist and the doctors, have to book in to attend a group session that talks about pre op diet and also an appointment to see the doctors!

IT'S REALLY HAPPENING!!!!!

Wooooooooo!!!!! :)))))))

That's fantastic news! I would be wooping too!!!! Is it definitely a psychiatrist or is it a psychologist for next appt?!!!!!! Good luck x

Hi vicky, since this post I've seen the psychologist and been given the go ahead for surgery (yay!) I then had my pre op and anaesthetist appointment through. Then I got blooming shingles just before my pre op :( they postponed for a week, then another and actually went finally today for my pre op!!!
Had my swabs done and then mentioned about my shingles (which are still really quite painful 3.5wks and counting) and then had multiple nurses looking at my back! Was sent away to go back to gp as shingles infected and apparently necrotic and told to contact them when it's cleared up.

So basically on strong antibiotics and waiting. :(

Still got shingles :( still infected! Have to wait till they are clear before I contact the team again to book my pre op and anaesthetist. Feels like I've been ill forever, always the same when you're looking forward to something happening!!

On the up side it's giving me an opportunity to try and sort my smoking. I'm on my second week of champix and can feel a difference already - not wanting one as often and not enjoying them as much when I do have them. I think more than anything it will be the actual habit that will be hard to break as opposed to the addiction

**feeling positive***

Still got shingles :( still infected! Have to wait till they are clear before I contact the team again to book my pre op and anaesthetist. Feels like I've been ill forever, always the same when you're looking forward to something happening!!

On the up side it's giving me an opportunity to try and sort my smoking. I'm on my second week of champix and can feel a difference already - not wanting one as often and not enjoying them as much when I do have them. I think more than anything it will be the actual habit that will be hard to break as opposed to the addiction

**feeling positive***

Hope the shingles infection clears up soon. You'll probably find its easier to stop smoking once you have a date. It gives you the incentive. I agree it's the habit that's harder to break than the addiction. However I went cold turkey on I got my date I think because my mind was preoccupied with the worry of the op it made it a little easier and I was terrified of dying Iknew that would help reduce my risk. Good luck with your journey x

Back