• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Letter for surgery? Confused

Xsammiesx

Hey all,

I am new to this forum I have applied for a gastric bypass I went to a few appointments but haven't yet had my 6 sessions... I received a letter last week please see below... I'm a little confused as it says they are sending me for the 6 pre op sessions then the last part threw me... Does this mean they won't allow me surgery? My first appointment I was given a "passport" and told if I had all my signatures and went to all 6 sessions and lost the 14lbs I will get surgery and then to receive this letter I'm so confused... Not sure if I'm reading it wrong someone help??

Thank you xx

"Sam has tried multiple weight loss plans in the past. Indulging some fairly extreme options and is ready to take control of her weight long term, therefore I am happy for her to attend the mandatory 6 sessiOn pre op group - please note this is an assessment for the suitability to enter the bariatric pathway, not specifically for suitability for surgery"

Rose2016

You need to ask your GP, however there's more to being approved for surgery than just needing to lose weight. You will be assessed by a multi disciplinary team of psychologists, dieticians and surgeons to make sure you are right and ready for surgery as it is a life changer. I think the letter is saying you are ready for that journey and the various assessments. It's a fairly normal route - we all had to get assessed and prove we could make the surgery a success so it's nothing scarey.

Trust me that you really do need this support and assessment.

Xsammiesx

Thank you, I have already had 4 very long appointments I met the consultant, Dietician and a psychologist and also had the group session to explain the different types of surgery they offer... So I'm just waiting on the 6 session letter I was just confused with the bit at the end if it was just standard letter that everyone receives... My first appointment was in July the dietician said I was a perfect candidate for the bypass and I am ready etc so all seemed promising so fingers crossed... I have done so many different diets in the past and I know it's not a quick fix etc it's just a tool to help me reach the end...

I'm not sure if I need to see the doctor after this letter or await the 6 session letter it didn't state I needed to follow it up?

Sorry silly questions I'm just new to all this xx

Rose2016

You are understandably confused at the process your PCT uses. Unfortunately everyone on the forum will tell you that their PCT has a different process and procedures. And it's true, they all do.
Instead of guessing why not talk with your GP or whoever sent the letter to explain that you have already had four sessions and want to be clear in next steps and timescales. They won't mind at all and I am sure they would prefer you ask than be concerned about it.
I got lost a few times in my PCT and my experience says phone and ask.