• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Confused

dawn08

Hi
Is there anyone out there that has been successful being referred for WLS just on the grounds of a high BMI and no co mordilities to the Nhs please ?

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Yes myself, for this you need to be 50 bmi then it becomes a first line treatment for the patient I believe. Otherwise according to the nice guidelines you need to do further weight management for 12-24 months with a bmi of 40 or more. Other than that you need 35 bmi or greater in the presence of other significant diseases.

Thank you G,G I'm nearly 45 bmi but touch wood at the moment I've nothing else other than depression related to my size x

Thank you G,G I'm nearly 45 bmi but touch wood at the moment I've nothing else other than depression related to my size x

Me either luckily, but I have recently been tested again for sleep apnoea by the hospital requested by the surgeon (awaiting results). However like I say you need to be 50 bmi plus for it to become a first line option. I'm sure with 45 bmi you can get still get the help you need but you may need to jump through 1 or 2 more hoops to get there.

Good Luck :)

I was no co-morbidities. Around here it's also over a BMI of 50 if no other health issues.

Good luck with your referral xx

Same here but the whole process still took nearly two years incl. lots of pestering for a surgery date. Probably doesn't help when your surgeon only works part- time.

Thanks everyone although I'm sure my bmi will be 50 before the ball starts rolling x

Me too over 50 here no co morbidities only back and joint pain, only had to do 6 months weight management then I was referred. Started feb 11 looking at by feb 13 for my op. All the. Best on your journey x

Bmi

I live in wales I had a bmi of 52 and some other problems and I was refused for funding so I went private hope it comes through for you

Thanks everyone it seems every area has different requirements and timescales x

Me either luckily, but I have recently been tested again for sleep apnoea by the hospital requested by the surgeon (awaiting results). However like I say you need to be 50 bmi plus for it to become a first line option. I'm sure with 45 bmi you can get still get the help you need but you may need to jump through 1 or 2 more hoops to get there.

Good Luck :)

Hi, I have sleep apnoea and for ages I battled after my band was removed, as soon as my sleep apnea was diagnosed n I have to sleep on a c pap machine, it automatically made me qualify for funding for surgery . So bad, but good :)
Fingers crossed then xx

I had BMI 68 and comorbs and was initially refused funding. Postcode lottery I'm afraid :(

Wow Yvessa. That's horrible!

It's not a big deal for me as my gp fought and won. But I was the last person in our area to get through.

Back