• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering Gastric bypass or band

nursejojo

Newbie considering band or bypass

Hello everyone
I'm very excited that I've finally decided to take control of my body rather than my body controlling me. I've been overweight since I left home at 18, basically once I started feeding myself. I need to lose approximately 60lbs.
I have just started looking into WLS after failing on numerous diets where my willpower has deteriorated. I'm unsure which is best for me at the moment and still need to research more. I am considering getting it done abroad in Belgium with Dr Chris De Bryune as I have discovered he is one of the best surgeons. Has anyone used him at all?
The follow up treatment is in London and the fills are approx £100 a go so although it is cheaper initially I'm unsure if it will be cost effective in the long run.
A few ???s for you;
How many fills do you need?
Do you need to continue having the fills once the restriction is achieved?
Although the bypass is invasive and costly, what follow up treatment is required?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post
Nursejojo :)

hi and welcome not sure on banding as im going to be bypass yes this is invasive and you will need to take vitamins and calcium supplements for life after best to research all your options and then approach your gp to see if you meet nhs criteria

Hi and welcome :)

I didn't want a bypass as I felt it too invasive, and to be honest didn't really look into the wrap/sleeve. I am a bander and have lost 11st with the help of the band, but your biggest asset is yourself as you are in control of what you pop in your mouth. I have had 8 fills to take me to 10.5mils in a 14mil band. After my first large fill 7mls, all other fills have been small. I am sure at a £100 a shot, I would have been tempted to ask for larger fills though, but that would have been the wrong thing. Often banders think the fills are the answer and want restriction sooner rather than later to get the band to do the work, but their minds haven't always caught up with the adjustments that need to be made to eating habits. I am not too tight tbh and choose to manage what I eat by calorie counting too although the band works its magic in the background to stop me eating the massive volumes I used to eat pre-band. Levels of restriction do change as you lose weight, and all banders are different so you may need ongoing fills, or not. Depends on what level of restriction works best for you and what your provider will allow you.

Do your research well, and best of luck .... Anything is achievable :D

I've had one of each :), they couldn't be more different from each other at opposite ends of the scale.

The band is lots of faffing until you get the magic spot, then it is indeed magic, but it's very restrictive in comparison with a bypass. Statistically bands do fail despite there being some out there that last longer than others. If you look at the Bariatric News literature surgeons expect to have a multi-fold increase in the number of band conversions. They aren't all band failures, many people fail their band by not following the rules.

WLS is the same whichever flavour you have. There are a list of rules on one hand, your lifestyle on the other hand, you have to find a common ground. If you follow this, you lose weight. It's not a magic tool that will do all the work for you, it's down to you and what you eat/drink.

I had problems with the port of my band, not the band itself. I've had most problems except a leak with the bypass. I'm still having issues 8 months out. I'd choose the bypass if I had my time again.

I lost 6 stone with my band and maintained with the bypass.

Personally I would only look at a sleeve or a bypass for a permanent lifelong solution. Plus you only pay once :D

I'm about to revise from band to bypass too. Very similar story as above. I wish I'd had the money and balls to bypass at the get go. Hindsight is a beautiful thing!

Hi, I'm a bander and 16 months post op. And you need considerable willpower with a band, it can be an ongoing thing while you work to get restriction from your band and this can take a various number of fills.

How many fills do you need?

The amount of fills will vary from person to person, I've had 12 and still do not have restriction, although I had a point of over restriction we are still working to find a level that works - as yet we haven't.

Do you need to continue having the fills once the restriction is achieved?

You may need a top up yes, but longer term banders find this isn't that often, I know someone who is approaching 7 years post band and hasn't had a fill since her 2 year post op care finished, it really does vary.

I have no bypass experience and I wasn't prepared to look at it, and although my band journey has been up and down it has changed my life. However it isn't an easy option, I can still eat what I want, in quantity I want and it is willpower that keeps me on track. Talk to people even go for free consultations if you can find them, as the choice will depend a lot on your eating habits.

I've lost approaching 11 stone and am still battling, it's not all plain sailing and can be hard work, average losses are 1-2lb a week and it's not a speedy answer. It's a great tool to losing weight, but a band isn't the answer most of that has to come from you :)

Hey,

I'm a newbie too! I’m in the same boat as you but with a BMI of 54, I have around 180lb to lose!! I agree it’s a confusing and massive decision to be making.

I was considering a band but I'm not sure I could afford the band refills. I looked at a bypass too, but felt too invasive for me.

After attending an information session, I think a Sleeve will be the way forwards for me. It’s seems to be in-between a band and bypass (my own opinion)

Seek advice from a surgeon and research to decide the best process for you (I’m sure you have).

Helen xx

Same for me. Waiting for by pass after illness forced band to be taken out.by pass all the way

Unless u have sleep apnoea? I didn't think I had it, but I did ! NHS funding :)

Just wanted to say hi - i am a pre op bander so i can't help with the bypass questions but im sure someone will answer them for you :)

I am an almost 2 year bander (no weight loss in the time), please seriously consider the sleeve.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have chosen sleeve all the way. I never was/have been interested in the bypass, (too scary) but I really wish I had chosen the sleeve.

I am an almost 2 year bander (no weight loss in the time), please seriously consider the sleeve.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have chosen sleeve all the way. I never was/have been interested in the bypass, (too scary) but I really wish I had chosen the sleeve.

I agree, band is outdated n full of problems for far too many ppl x

previous bander, now awaiting by pass or sleeve this year.

Until I saw this forum, I had no idea of the amount of issues with a band… Glad I have done further research on the Sleeve and I feel this is the way forwards. Thank you for sharing your experiences! xx

I am an almost 2 year bander (no weight loss in the time), please seriously consider the sleeve. If I knew then what I know now, I would have chosen sleeve all the way. I never was/have been interested in the bypass, (too scary) but I really wish I had chosen the sleeve.
why do you wish you'd chosen the sleeve?

Gonna have a look at plication too

I’ve looked into the Plication too, through my own online research, seems a very new procedure and not sure if the Bariatric Team near me preform this surgery. It seems similar to the Sleeve, but not as invasive. The only thing that scares me is the seemingly lack of knowledge/information about it.
Have you appealed the NHS and tried to get referred again?
I have looked into private, but too costly and I’m scared if something goes wrong, I won’t have the funds to correct privately and the NHS can refuse if they don’t perform the surgery initially.
I also found several private companies, seem to ‘push’/’force’ the banding procedure (guess as cheaper/easier for them and more money long term for fills) as I now know someone with my BMI isn’t really suited to a band – Glad I did my research and didn’t rush the process!
How have you found private companies? I feel too much hard sales and not enough care of the fact we are people with feelings and being morbidly obese is a disability in itself.
xx

Back