• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Considering Gastric Sleeve!

Summer1992

Hi there!

I'm a long time lurker on this forum and I thought that I'd finally sign up.
I'm considering getting the sleeve, so reading the posts on this forum have been beyond inspiring and helpful.

I'm only in my 20s and yet I've had a long unhealthy relationship with food, and after trying everything else under the sun, I feel like this is my only option left. I feel like my life should be beginning and I'm tired of feeling trapped by food and my weight.

I'm from London originally but I'm based in Paris at the moment, so I'm not sure where to get my surgery done. I'm not even sure about whether I'd be able to pay for it, and I don't want to wait for years on the NHS. Has anyone paid for it, and if so did they do it on a monthly basis? How long have people waited on the NHS?

I've already started losing weight, but I still think I need a tool like the sleeve to aid me.

Anyhoo, I'm sorry for the essay, I just thought I'd introduce myself and actually physically put down what's in my head!

Hi There

I can only talk from my experience, I did not opt for sleeve as it is not reversible, so went for the bypass instead, worst choice i ever made,
I am only 5 weeks from having bypass and lost 4 and half stone which is too much too soon, it has changed my personality to the point i have become mr angry,
but glad i had bypass and regardless of what others will tell you is fully
reversible, i am soon to be reversed because of extreme loss too soon and anger issues, my surgeon has agreed,
like anything else in life its im afraid your choice alone if you are paying for it
to be done as self payers do not come up against nhs funded problems where
criteria etc are different,
i can only wish you good luck in your long term goal

Hey Summer,
Good luck with your decision. Operations in the UK range between 8k to 10k. A lot of people go to Belgium for the operation, cheaper

I had the operation about 2 months ago and lost 2 stones so far. My stomach has shrunk low-carb diet was useful for that. I have another two stones to reach my ideal weight. If you follow the advise given by your team ( it's available from other sources too) and eat sensibly, you will do fine.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for responding and for sharing your stories :)

At the moment I'm researching the price but struggling to find a good hospital that I'm certain I can trust. I'm still not sure if I can finance it so I'm going to try and see my GP in the UK, I'm just not sure what to say or how to bring it up.

At the moment I'm trying to lose weight on my own to prepare.

Hi there! I'm a long time lurker on this forum and I thought that I'd finally sign up. I'm considering getting the sleeve, so reading the posts on this forum have been beyond inspiring and helpful. I'm only in my 20s and yet I've had a long unhealthy relationship with food, and after trying everything else under the sun, I feel like this is my only option left. I feel like my life should be beginning and I'm tired of feeling trapped by food and my weight. I'm from London originally but I'm based in Paris at the moment, so I'm not sure where to get my surgery done. I'm not even sure about whether I'd be able to pay for it, and I don't want to wait for years on the NHS. Has anyone paid for it, and if so did they do it on a monthly basis? How long have people waited on the NHS? I've already started losing weight, but I still think I need a tool like the sleeve to aid me. Anyhoo, I'm sorry for the essay, I just thought I'd introduce myself and actually physically put down what's in my head!

Hi there, I am self funding and had a sleeve just over 10 months ago and now am less than a 1lb away from my target weight having lost 6 and a half stone. Have to say it's the best decision I have ever made. Being self funding the process was really quick - had my first appointment in mid May and surgery was at the end of June. I would definitely recommend doing your research into private providers as experiences are mixed. My surgeon was great however my hospital and aftercare have been bad. However I think with a sleeve a lot is common sense - so it's about eating healthy foods and not too much! Xx

Hi HRR32!

Thanks loads for your input. :) how are you finding your sleeve? Can I ask where you got it done and how much it cost? I'm really sorry to hear about your aftercare. I hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect on you.

I'm coming home for a few days so hopefully I'll book to see my GP and start the process. I'm just scared about what to say to him.

I'm still trying to eat better to prepare and lose a bit of weight but I'm struggling.

Hi HRR32! Thanks loads for your input. :) how are you finding your sleeve? Can I ask where you got it done and how much it cost? I'm really sorry to hear about your aftercare. I hope it doesn't have a detrimental effect on you. I'm coming home for a few days so hopefully I'll book to see my GP and start the process. I'm just scared about what to say to him. I'm still trying to eat better to prepare and lose a bit of weight but I'm struggling.

I am so pleased that I had my sleeve and to be honest I haven't had many problems since having it. The weight is now coming off really slowly but for the first time since being a kid I have a healthy BMI. It is life changing as I now look different I can do more things and have more energy. My surgery costed just over £9000. Whilst I would say my care wasn't great it, the difference far out weighs the problems. If you were looking to go privately for surgery I would get the provider to outline how many appointments and with whom are provided within the price. Xxx

Hey Summer, Good luck with your decision. Operations in the UK range between 8k to 10k. A lot of people go to Belgium for the operation, cheaper I had the operation about 2 months ago and lost 2 stones so far. My stomach has shrunk low-carb diet was useful for that. I have another two stones to reach my ideal weight. If you follow the advise given by your team ( it's available from other sources too) and eat sensibly, you will do fine. Good luck.

What operation did u have plz ?

I saw my GP about WLS and a skin condition. I brought up the skin condition first and that was fixed. I then brought up wanting the gastric sleeve and how I've done my research and I've been fobbed off before.

So he said we need to have a long discussion first, and before he can refer me he needs I need to do an eating plan or perhaps go on medication. He suggested that I made another appointment, so I'm seeing him next week.

Has anyone gone through a healthy eating plan and medication? How many times did you see the GP before being referred?

The more I do my research and read this forum, the more I want a gastric sleeve, but it just seems so far away.

Back