• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Constipation - Help, please!!

Louanne79

I know this may be TMI, but I've been badly constipated for a couple of days now, and it's causing really uncomfortable pains in my right hand side.
I'm only 4 weeks post op, so have to be careful re. food and medication, but can anyone recommend anything to clear me out, so to speak? I can't bear the thought of prune juice, but really need to do something.
Sorry if I've ruined anyone's breakfast!!!
xXx

An adult Glycerin Suppository can be purchased without prescription and will bring pretty much instant relief. My Bariatric Nurse suggested these but obviously check in with your team first.

If you don't want prune juice what about stewed and then add low fat custard as should be soft enough by then or puree them. Benefibre or fybrogel as have been suggested to me may be worth a try.

Thank you!

I was told to take sennakot by my team and then my doc gave me some tabs . I'm 7 weeks now and still don't go everyday like I'm used to but it does get better than in the early days when I didn't go for over 2 weeks after surgery :mad:It was the thing I became most anxious about ! Hope u get some relief soon x

Be careful of lactulose (can make people dump) and senokot (can be a bit aggressive so soon after surgery). Glycerine is great if you are impacted, if you feel you need to go but can't. Otherwise movicol is a good gentle prescription laxative. Benefibre and fybrogel good for once youre back to normal to keep you that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

We should never self prescribe anything, Go see your GP and ask them for help. I was prescribed Movicol by my surgical team and my GP and it works brilliantly for me.

Make sure you're properly hydrated but ASAP get your arse to the GPs and they will help you with this xxx

Thank you all for your advice - I think I should find a solution from that!
Unfortunately the smell of coffee makes me heave, and I certainly couldn't drink it, so that's ruled out, but thanks to you lot I have lots of options :)
xXx

It's funny what different teams from different areas tell us !! I was told movical to harsh and senna the better option and my doctor prescribed a senna too . These worked were all else failed ! Prob best to see the doc they will prob give u something x

Karlos said:
We should never self prescribe anything, Go see your GP and ask them for help. I was prescribed Movicol by my surgical team and my GP and it works brilliantly for me.

Make sure you're properly hydrated but ASAP get your arse to the GPs and they will help you with this xxx

I actually went to my GP last week, but it was a locum. Her advice? Just let nature take it's course, and if you still haven't 'been' but start vomitting, call an ambulance or go straight to A&E!
You can see why I was more keen to take advice from those 'in the know' ;)
xx

I would definitely suggest the glycerin suppostitories. They work really quickly and don't give you lots of stomach pains that some others do. I couldn't stomach the movicol sachets = just made me want to vomit - yuck

Back