• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Consultation today

ickle pickle

Hi Everyone,

This morning i've been for a consultation with Mr Khan through Surgicare. I wanted a band however he believes this will be a waste of money and advises i have a bypass instead. I almost fell off my chair when I was told the price. Can anyone who has gone private tell me the rough prices they have paid?

Thanks
Paula

I've just paid £10500 for my bypass. :eek:

Thanks for replying, Surgicare's price is £9,995. I was also shocked when the surgeon said 1 in every 100 patients won't make it home :eek:

I paid £11,800 for the bypass, but I paid a premium of an extra thousand to get the surgeon that I wanted.

Good luck it will be money well spent, I have never regretted it. xx

It's good the surgeon gave you the risk stats on the op. Don't forget that some people having the bypass will have very high BMI's and this increases the risks so the average is 1:100. far better to know and take the step in full knowledge. I have had two quotes for bypass both £10950.

It's good the surgeon gave you the risk stats on the op. Don't forget that some people having the bypass will have very high BMI's and this increases the risks so the average is 1:100. far better to know and take the step in full knowledge. I have had two quotes for bypass both £10950.

Totally agree we all need to know the risks, was shocked the death rate was so high. I do have a really high BMI of 63 and am now thinking I want to try and loose some before I have surgery so its not so risky.

If you loose some weight it lessens the risks so it's a good idea, also shows that you are taking it seriously and you were listening...that's no bad thing. From what you've said seems like you are still hoping to go on?
Did the surgeon mention any other alternatives or why band wouldn't be good for you? I had a discussion about it before i decided what i thought was best and the band is out for me because i am a chocolate snacker and this sometimes means people "cheat" the band!

If you loose some weight it lessens the risks so it's a good idea, also shows that you are taking it seriously and you were listening...that's no bad thing. From what you've said seems like you are still hoping to go on?
Did the surgeon mention any other alternatives or why band wouldn't be good for you? I had a discussion about it before i decided what i thought was best and the band is out for me because i am a chocolate snacker and this sometimes means people "cheat" the band!

Yeah I am still very much considering the surgery, but i need to make sure its right for me, its definately not a quick fix a lot of people think it is. I originally wanted the band because I wasn't keen on having something that was irreversible. However he basically said that I would be wasting my money as i wouldn't get the results i wanted with having so much weight to loose. Plus like you I have a sweet tooth and like you said there are ways of cheating the band and with the bypass the body won't tolerate the sugar so if I do eat it, i'll only do it the once due to the adverse reaction. I was pleased he was so honest with me. I really felt like him and the team there really want to help people, it wasn't like a sales pitch. Also the patient co-ordinator had the bypass herself and showed me her before pics.

Hi Everyone,

This morning i've been for a consultation with Mr Khan through Surgicare. I wanted a band however he believes this will be a waste of money and advises i have a bypass instead. I almost fell off my chair when I was told the price. Can anyone who has gone private tell me the rough prices they have paid?

Thanks
Paula
Hi Paula,
I live in Milton Keynes and had my bypass done last week with Mr Ammori at the Spire in Manchester if you book it through his secretary the cost is £9,650 that also covers you for 2 years aftercare. Like you i have a very sweet tooth so the band was never an option for me.
Hope this is of help
Charmaine

Hi, I had my bypass with Mr Khan last year, but I was lucky enough to get mine on the NHS.

I trust his judgement totally, and with a high BMI it would be difficult, but not impossible to lose the weight with the band.

I do know someone who had a band with Mr khan through surgicare and she rates the support she has received very highly.

A lady on here called Janeywanttolosealot had her bypass with Mr khan and she has reduced her BMI from 70+ to about 27 now.

Whatever decision you come to about which op to have, I can assure you that you are in safe hands with Amir x

I wonder if with a high BMI you have considered a sleeve or a full DS.

Most people don't dump with this (though I have) and eventually one is supposed to be able to eat more "normal" meals.

It can be more expensive though I think especially for a DS and you can be quoted a higher death rate - I was told 1 in 200 for bypass and 1 in 100 for DS

As I had a high BMI - at least 60 was 63 on the records at one stage - I was going to die anyway so it was worth that risk for ME.

Definitely not an easy option but I wouldn't go back to super morbidly obese again

I too wanted a band originally cos it was reversible - but reading of the problems people have had and having to wait for NHS fills I'm glad I didn't

Good luck

xxxx

Hi Paula,
I live in Milton Keynes and had my bypass done last week with Mr Ammori at the Spire in Manchester if you book it through his secretary the cost is £9,650 that also covers you for 2 years aftercare. Like you i have a very sweet tooth so the band was never an option for me.
Hope this is of help
Charmaine

Hi Charmaine,
Thanks for the reply, i was shocked at the price, nearly 4k more than a band. How are you getting on after surgery?

Paula x

I wonder if with a high BMI you have considered a sleeve or a full DS.

Most people don't dump with this (though I have) and eventually one is supposed to be able to eat more "normal" meals.

It can be more expensive though I think especially for a DS and you can be quoted a higher death rate - I was told 1 in 200 for bypass and 1 in 100 for DS

As I had a high BMI - at least 60 was 63 on the records at one stage - I was going to die anyway so it was worth that risk for ME.

Definitely not an easy option but I wouldn't go back to super morbidly obese again

I too wanted a band originally cos it was reversible - but reading of the problems people have had and having to wait for NHS fills I'm glad I didn't

Good luck

xxxx

Hi Angela,

What's a full DS? I've been quoted for a sleeve by cosmetic bliss £6,400 and have spoken to a few people that have had it done through them.
This is such a hard decision make but like you say its weighing up the risks of being morbidly obese and staying that way or the risk of surgery.

Paula x

Hi Charmaine,
Thanks for the reply, i was shocked at the price, nearly 4k more than a band. How are you getting on after surgery?

Paula x
Im fine lost 10lbs this week but am only allowed liquids. I knew if i had the band i would have cheated with the bypass i cant so to me it is money well spent

Back