• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Contraception question???

lotsabeefy

According to research the pill is not as affective post bypass and women are being encouraged to use double precautions for the first 18months.....I recently had the depot injection do you guys think that will be enough to stop me getting pregnant as the hormones are absorbed through muscle tissue? I'm worried I will get pregnant. What are you all using??

The pill is not effective due to the malabsorption that we have after the bypass, but any other means of contraception should work in exactly the same way as it does for non bypassed peeps.

I'm assuming that the pill is less effective as it's taken orally and there may be some absorption issues. Your injection, therefore, should be ok, but ring your health care expert to make sure!

Kate

im having a bypass on nov 5th ive stopped taking my pill and i now have a coil fitted x

mirena coil, no probs with it and no bleeding every month

god i crapped myself then! i thought that all contraceptives were compromised! i had a baby in Jan and got sterilised at the same time, hope this still works!!

god, i dont even know how i was sterilised! I think i had my tubes cut, but i dont know for sure!

I am screwed then..lol
I cant take hormones in any way shape or form..
I have been told my odd shaped womb means fitting a coil is impossible(had more hands up there than kermit)
If I want a coil they want to knock me out to do it...I am to scared of anaesthetic at this size..
i am currently using the famous "ERRR get off" method...lol

ive got the implant which is fab for me - and asked if will be any less effective and told by consultant it wont be so i am a happy chappy

I am screwed then..lol
I cant take hormones in any way shape or form..
I have been told my odd shaped womb means fitting a coil is impossible(had more hands up there than kermit)
If I want a coil they want to knock me out to do it...I am to scared of anaesthetic at this size..
i am currently using the famous "ERRR get off" method...lol

This made me chuckle, I was sterilised 18 yrs ago but the "ERRR get off" method works pretty well here too ;)

LOL me too!

the errrr get off was always my form of contraception or the fingers crossed method........but theres no way i'm taking any risks now x

lisa, have they made any suggestions as to what they can do about contraception for you, not being able to have any hormones makes it really difficult for you dosnt it. if they fitted a coil in, would it stay in if your uterus is a funny shape. hugs xx

I do use condoms every time and in 21 years only 2 have broken on us...
I have never done the fingers crossed bit.My diabetes is to out of control to take that chance..to many risks..so Mr X is always suited and booted..lol

dawny..the opening to my womb is tilted so the opening is at a extremely funny angle...i have been told it would stay in and would have longer threads to check its still there...but
I do question if it would be safe as a contraceptive...

I have made 4 gynaecologists and 8 sexual health nurses all at different times over the last 5 years attempt to put in a coil.None of them could get to the opening..lol..
The last gyny whilst wiping the sweat from his brow said I needed to to be put out under anaesthetic to get one in..
At 20 stone I am not going to risk anaesthetic....
I may try again one more time before op...hadn't really thought about it until this thread...
dawny...no other suggestions have been made...all hormonal contraceptives make me ill....last pills I had I was off this planet....Drs wont risk putting in implants or injections.

I would like another baby at some point in time but that depend on how I feel in two or more years time,and of course the finances and my OH may feel different then..we are not getting any younger (I am 36 now so 2/3 years after this op I will be near me 40s)...so who knows...sterilisation for either of us is not an option right now....we are both very undecided on the matter about another baby..

Last edited:
Just about to have my second implant - been using that for three years along with the 'I'll just finish this chapter' method. Seems to have worked so far up to now thank goodness. I've a terrible habit of forgetting to take pills so I've had a couple of panicky times in the past. Can't wait for the menopause! Either that or ask if I can have a hysterectomy at the same time as the bypass....

ah lisa, i think i know what youo mean now hun, my womb was tilted to the back, so that it 'rested' on my spine, and that made my cervix very hard to get to, but my hubby had had the snip years before, so it wasnt a problem, but i had to have a hysterectomy cos i developed fibroids and with the way it was lying, it aggravated my spinal probs, best thing i ever did. lol. it would be easier if you were asleep when they did it, cos they woud probably hurt you if they managed to do it without. i hope you manage to get sorted out. what about if they just sedatd you, would that work do you think. hugs xx

Back