• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Coping with young toddlers after a FTT?

Trim T

I have an 18 month old daughter, and I'm wondering how long it will be before i'm able to lift her in and out of her cot/high-chair/car seat etc. following my op.

My husband is taking a week off work so I'll have at least 7 days of not having to worry too much about it, but after that, i may not have a choice.

Has anyone else got small children around this age and how did you cope post-op?

I first put my dd aged the same as yours in her cot at two weeks (was in hospital for 6 of them), to be honest the driving wasnt a problem because i was told by surgeon and also my insurance company i should drive for atleast 4 -6 weeks so i didnt .

If she wanted picking up i would sit on couch as not to strain myslef.

julesrush
cdc norwich

Hi TrimT I am 6 days post op today and although I don't have kids so am not sure how much an 18 mth old weighs I'm carrying boxes (xmas presents) upstairs fine today.

I'm also about to jump in the car for the first time so will see how that goes (legal you can't drive for 48 hrs after an op and must be able to do an emergency stop)

oh I should have said my recovery seems to have been easier than a lot of peoples so don't take this as gospel that you will be able to do these things it's just my experience - in my view you should listen to your body - it'll soon tell you if you are overdoing it

My surgeon advised me not to lift anything over 10lbs for 6wks but ive been lifting my youngest whos 2 1/2 and weighs a good 35lbs onto the toilet or a chair since about 10 days after my op
Not lifted her up full height yet (waist height etc) simply because ive not needed to and she walks everywhere
listen to your body but also take on board whatever your consultants advice is when you see him and you'll know how much you can and can't do as the days go by after your op

Thank you so much for your replies, she walks mostly it's just lifting her in and out of her cot that's worrying me the most. I'm sure i'll manage, i recovered really quickly after my c-sections so hopefully it will be pretty similar x

I'm 5 weeks post op and have had a good recovery. Have 3 young nephews (2, 3 and 4) and feel the strain lifting up the 2 year old. I can do it, but do feel a pull on the scar and find myself tiring very quickly. Your body will tell you, just don't be tempted to do more than you can early on. Good luck. Hils x

hey TrimT

Just back from christmas with the family - my sis has three kids 6, 4 and 18 months. went down to see them 11 days post op and happy to report had no problems popping the 18 mth year old into his cot, high chair etc and could carry him fairly comfortably on my hip. The 4 and 6 year old were a bit more difficult to lift when i first arrived but by the time i left 18 days post op i was lifting them fine.

Back