• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

young children and lifting post op!

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
So im 11 days in and been lucky with the holidays not had to deal wit lifitng my little 1 year old daughter as the hubster has helped out. but now its back to school and manic running around in the mornings and have to put her in and out the car seat/take her to drop the kids off when we get out the car... etc....so im finding i have to lift her.... im worried as i have been told no lifting heavy things, including her, for 6 weeks..but cant really see a way not to lift her into the cot, or into her high chair etc.

how did u guys manage?

Hi sweet I was told I couldn't pick my 8 month old up till 2 weeks & he's a right chunk lol. Have been doing limited lifting xx

Hiya Magic - Awful dilemma, sometimes you get no choice in these matters.

Listen to your body and don`t twist or turn it when lifting....do you remember doing any lifting and handling courses at work at one time?

If not the main thing to remember is: keep it simple, do`nt put any undue stress on your back (or your tummy, where you`ve had surgery).

Bend your knees where possible. And use your hands to grip and pull the child close to your body. When lifting him/her from your body into the car, if possible depending on their age use them to help you, by trying to do as much as they are able themselves....teach them to be a little bit independant.

I don`t know whether this will help as I`m not sure of your little ones age. With a baby you have to do more yourself, but then hopefully they are a lot lighter.

Whatever you do take care x

Love Kat x

thanks KK and mandy,

mandy thats good to know that 2 weeks down the line is also a safe time...

KK...ok thanks will do what u said...bend knees and i do try make her walk...she doesnt really take more then 2-3steps bless her so im trying to make her walk by holding her arm..but shes so stubborn and im kinda dragging her sometimes!

Hi MB, i thought i replied to this post but evidently not!

I was lucky enought that hubby was off work with me so i didnt lift my 2year old son at all.
BUT, when he went back to work i had to some times (when he fell asleep in the car etc...) I know it sounds daft but i just used the strength in my arms alone and tried not to use my tummy muscles.
After 14 days post op i resumed to normality.
It must be soooo hard for you when the baby is on the floor as bending down was the hardest bit of all for me.
Like all other mothers....you'll find a way!

its terrible..i find myself dragging her a lot.....as in her legs will be sorta on the floor an ill gently lift her under her arms and move her. she looks kinda baffled my the whole experience. did sit her in my lap yesterday and she decided she didnt want to so pushed against me....right on my wound!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOUCCCCCCCCCCCCH!

have lifted her a bit today actually as i found when u are running around like a loon trying to make it to the school run u just want the job done quickly!!

thanks xx

Back