• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dark Place

Alia xxxxx (hug hug hug)
i really hope that you are feeling better about yourself today.
I am pre-op so am no where near where you are at.
You have done the hard part you have put yourself through the agony (second time round) of wls, its a steep learning curve. A jacket spud, come on you didnt eat the whole birthday cake LOL !!!
You are doing brilliant look at your weight loss, you are bound to have off days as well as top days. I do and so does everyone, its not how hard you get hit its how you get up from those hits (thaks rocky excellent words of wisdom !!!)
So come on back on your feet think of all the things you can do now that you couldnt do before. Think of all the things you will soon be able to do that you couldnt, think of the food you can eat no the food you cant.
YOU are doing great just remember that, you have 6 kids which is an achievement in itself now you can enjoy every day with them becoming the person you want to. Your WLS will not fail, you are just on a bit of a bumpy road at the moment but the motorway is just around the corner. xxxx
Helen
xxx

I've had a much better day today. I spent the day with my dear friend (nina on here) who nursed me through my recovery period after my op. I've worked out that my main problem is I lack imagination with food and can't come up with good things to eat so I tend to take easier options. Last night after every one had had their dinner I needed to eat after not eating all day. I wandered round the kitchen looking in the cupboards and was at a total loss as to what to eat... guess what I ate!! Here goes, 3 tea spoons of baked beans, cold out the tin... how shameful is that lol

So between us we've come up with a plan how to stop this and she's going to write a full menu for me with different options for each meal and lots of different snack options too so hopefully I'll take inspiration from that. It was lovely when she was looking after me cause she was making all kinds of weird and wonderful liquids and purees for me but I felt lost after she had gone. So I'm hoping this will be the answer for me or at least give me some guidlines which I can then continue myself.

Alia xxx

Alia, the menu sounds like an excellent idea and will stop you wondering about the kitchen trying to find something 'good' to eat. I really need to do the same, but as you know yourself, having a baby and husband, and not a lot of time or motivation doens't help. So a menu will be great for you. I'm going to start a thread about what i can eat now, and hopefully others will add to eat, and maybe you can get some ideas off other peoples menus.

sounds like a great ides - and cold beans rock! They are even nicer cold and MASHED!! My friend eats then on a butty and has to stand over the sink to eat it as it is so messy!!

Today I had - cookies and cream protein shake smoothie made with a banana, oat milk and a teaspoon of peanut butter. For lunch I had cottage cheese with grated carrot added and for tea I had a WW fish pie meal. For snacks I had natural yogurt and stewed apples, and finished with a latte protein shake with almond essence befoe bed.

Cold beans... MMMmmmmm! Protein & fibre in them - the downside is sugar, but hey - a girl has to have a vice 'else life would be sooooo dull!

You have a good friend in Nina huns, the menu sounds just the ticket.

Keep going, you are doing brilliantly! :hug99:

Hi Alia,

One thing I find works well for me is to plan meals for my family that I can eat too. Aside from saving having to cook 2 different meals, it means that my family are eating healthier too.

For me that means things like -

Spaghetti Bolognaise
Lasagne
Curry
Casseroles/Stews
Basic meals (meat and 2 veg style, or fish and veg)
Sunday roast (lean meat, slow cooked so soft and moist)
Stir fry

I cook practically everything from scratch so I know it's all low fat/sugar, and it works well for me. Sometimes I'll adapt some things so that the boys get a little extra like potatoes or cheese but mine is still protein rich and healthy.

Hi Ali

I totally understand where you are coming from, I still have bad days where my demons come in and attack me...... but I agree with everything everyone has said on here........

I do suffer with the mental side of things from the bypass.... but we get lots of support on here....

Like shel says try and cook meals you can all have... that is one thing I do tend to do now, I never cooked before I was queen ping and queen takeaway.... now I love cooking from scrath for all the family... have to say they love it too.....

See i never relised it but I too am quite a fussy eater, never really relised I was till had the bypass, but again it stems to mental thinking for me.....

Im here anytime you wanna chat you can message me anytime.

Big hugs.... your doing great

So chin up girl. we are here for you........

Hi Alia. Dark days happen for a reason, so you can really appreciate the light ones! It would be lovely if you could add your menus to the Gastric Bypass Daily Menu's thread I started in the recipe forum, then everyone could benefit from your experiences and the advice of your lovely friend.

http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes-forum/74487-gastric-bypass-daily-menus.html

Keep up the good work hun!

Nic;)

sounds like a great ides - and cold beans rock! They are even nicer cold and MASHED!! My friend eats then on a butty and has to stand over the sink to eat it as it is so messy!!

Today I had - cookies and cream protein shake smoothie made with a banana, oat milk and a teaspoon of peanut butter. For lunch I had cottage cheese with grated carrot added and for tea I had a WW fish pie meal. For snacks I had natural yogurt and stewed apples, and finished with a latte protein shake with almond essence befoe bed.

Your cookies and Cream smoothie sounds really nice, but what is oat milk and how much would you use. I'm assuming this is a great source of protein and I could make one of these instead of having my slimfast shake? Any idea of the calorific value of this?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just rubbish at all things relating to food and its values etc.

Hi Alia,

One thing I find works well for me is to plan meals for my family that I can eat too. Aside from saving having to cook 2 different meals, it means that my family are eating healthier too.

For me that means things like -

Spaghetti Bolognaise
Lasagne
Curry
Casseroles/Stews
Basic meals (meat and 2 veg style, or fish and veg)
Sunday roast (lean meat, slow cooked so soft and moist)
Stir fry

I cook practically everything from scratch so I know it's all low fat/sugar, and it works well for me. Sometimes I'll adapt some things so that the boys get a little extra like potatoes or cheese but mine is still protein rich and healthy.

I'm going to make Spaghetti Bolagnese for tea tonight and sit down with the family and have a tiny amount of it and see how I do. This is something that would have made me very ill before my recent surgery so it will be a big job for me to actually have a few mouthfuls and keep them down...

Your cookies and Cream smoothie sounds really nice, but what is oat milk and how much would you use. I'm assuming this is a great source of protein and I could make one of these instead of having my slimfast shake? Any idea of the calorific value of this?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just rubbish at all things relating to food and its values etc.

Hey don't worry! I buy the protein shake powder on line and this one was recommended in a US WLS cookery book I have. It is very high in protein, low in fat and sugar and can be made just with water but I like to add a bit of milk too. Oat milk is from Tesco/Asda etc and is called Totally Oatly or something. It's low fat and I love the taste as a change from ordinary milk. I liquidise it all together with a whole banana and ice cubes (or frozen banana) and I love it. I struggle to get my liquids down me so find this helps and also gives me a hefty dose of protein so I don't need to fret about that. I find it tastes much better than slimfast and don't quote me but am sure my shake is much higher in protein than slimfast. Hope this helps!vxx

Alia the key with spag bol post op is to concentrate on the bol, and only a tiny bit of spag.

I agree with Shel, and try not to over cook the pasta, as if it is too soft and squishy, it tends to get stuck...for me anyway.

Those shakes sound great!!

Hiya

Dont beat ya self up over it all , Ive done the same and many times.
Its all in the learning curve i still eat some sweets and i eat some choc sometimes even though i dump .
making your pouch is just part of the bypass its to help you retrain which doesnt happen over night . sometime you will get cravings , but as you have learnt some things cant be done .

Its not just the pouch that makes you lose weight its the bits they took away so you only take in part of the cals from the food.

I was eating soft foods after 2 weeks even though i was told i couldnt , not all people are the same.

And as for studs i eat them often and i learnt to slow down a little after getting the pain.

So in all your not abnormal and you will get a little stressed as have i.

it will soon pass and you will start eating real nice stuff ( top quality ) but just a little less and you will enjoy it.

keep ya chin up we are all here for you and you will be fine

All my best

Mark

Back