• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Knock on Effect

Alia

Has any one found that their surgery has had a knock effect with their other half or other members of the family.

I was an ice lolly fanatic before my surgery. My hubby and I would go through a couple of boxes a night just sitting in bed and watching tv but since my op I've not had any nor craved any. I think my op is a good thing for my hubby too cause he could do with losing about 20 kilos and he's not been having them. Also we used to eat a couple of the big bags of cheese balls at night too and despite having some in the cupboard I have n't been tempted and I think hubby has only had 2 packets since I had my surgery which is a major change. Seems the surgery can have a knock on effect.

Coke and any fizzy drinks were another one of my bad habbits and it had to be the red coke and same with my hubby, he would drink alot more than me and cause I have n't had any and we have n't been buying them, he's been happy with water with his meals.

I often wonder how this surgery works on the mind aswell as the stomach. My attitude towards food has changed so much that I'm never hungry and I have to remind myself to eat.. never thought that would be possible for me as a long term sugar addict but not one bad thing has passed my lips since my surgery.. no comments pls lool

Even when my baby had peanut butter and jam sandwiches for lunch and I got the jam on my fingers I did n't lick it off, just wiped it off on a towel.. Fantastic!!

That is fantastic news that you are doing so well and that your husband is also benefiting from the change in diet. He is to be commended for supporting you.

I wonder in your case has it to do with the small amounts of food now that you eat that you are actually in ketosis and have the ketosis high that seems to act as a protective against cravings?

As this is how ketosis effects me on a vlcd.

Love Mini xxx

It is possible I am in Ketosis but the change in my mental attitude seems to go deeper than that. When I did Lighter Life I got into ketosis but I still craved food and was n't able to keep it up for a long period of time. Its only been 23 days since I've been like this so it may not last but the positive attitude I have now is telling me this is a life long change and I'll never crave the things that got me in this mess in the first place.

Oh yes definatley,
I am only 6 days post Op. but before I was a Coffee addict, I havent had no coffee at all, still yet to try it, also, I have given up smoking and as I was saying in another post I have smoked for 23 years, and about 30 a day, But I think because I paid for my Op which was a lot of money, I just don't want to ruin anything and that means smoking, because for the first time in my life I feel so positive and I Know I will do it this time, No more ciggies for me, Ever!!
Also, My Hubby has been eating really healthy too, and because I want to get fit, he also wants to get fit, and I think we will both do it this time!

Me and hubby were big take away eaters. Pizza's, macdonalds, burger king, chips, indian, chinese. We also drank a lot of coke zero which i love.
While i have been tempted and could really go a big mac meal or pizza, i haven't, and my husband has not been tempted at all. He's started losing weight which is good, as he too needs to lose a couple of stone.

Me and hubby were big take away eaters. Pizza's, macdonalds, burger king, chips, indian, chinese. We also drank a lot of coke zero which i love.
While i have been tempted and could really go a big mac meal or pizza, i haven't, and my husband has not been tempted at all. He's started losing weight which is good, as he too needs to lose a couple of stone.

A Big Mac is out of the question for me at the moment as i simply cannot eat that much, but i can however manage a fillet o'fish, which goes down quite well washed down with a diet coke. I tried burger king and didn't do so well with it, haven't tried pizza yet but i'd image as its fairly stodgy it wouldn't go don very well.

I tried one piece of pizza, and ate it very slowly and actually managed it well.
I'm not game to try a burger. I bought a chicken salad deli sandwich thing but didn't eat it slowly enough, had two mouthfuls, got a blockage, and threw up. Have to be soooooo careful with bread.

You guys are all so brave, I have not tried anything solid yet but I'm only 3 weeks and 2 days post surgery. I'm sticking to my slimfast shakes, cup a soups and yoghurts and some pureed vegatables. I'll stay like this for a couple of weeks till I go back to see my surgeon on the 22nd of December and then go from there.

Tonight I was so proud of myself, I went to Costco with my hubby and he bought two huge pizzas for him and the kids and then stopped at Mcdonalds to get some chips for the kids and he had a fish meal and I did n't even do so much as nibble a chip.. I'm so focused right now I'm scared lol

Alia that is fab. Good for you, staying strong.:D:D:D:D

As to the 'Knock on effect', Mr. PG has lost about 15-20lbs since my surgery. We had take-aways alot pre-surgery plus I was a snacker so on his days off he would snack with me. Now he eats a piece of fruit. He also is using low-sugar/low-fat everything because we only buy one kind. He eats less volume, too, I guess by example of my tiny portions. It has been great for him. He used to bring me home sweets all the time and end up eating his fair share. Now, he never eats sweets at home so that has to help. It is wonderful that my health quest has helped him.;)

You guys are all so brave, I have not tried anything solid yet but I'm only 3 weeks and 2 days post surgery. I'm sticking to my slimfast shakes, cup a soups and yoghurts and some pureed vegatables. I'll stay like this for a couple of weeks till I go back to see my surgeon on the 22nd of December and then go from there.

Tonight I was so proud of myself, I went to Costco with my hubby and he bought two huge pizzas for him and the kids and then stopped at Mcdonalds to get some chips for the kids and he had a fish meal and I did n't even do so much as nibble a chip.. I'm so focused right now I'm scared lol

Alia - your still early days and you will get back to some sort of normality eventually, for now you need to follow the diet advice from your consultant / dietician and let your insides heal up properly. at three weeks post op i really didn't want to eat anything really either and found it really easy to resist, certainly a burger was well out of the question at that stage.
My biggest problem is with bread, it swells up inside me and after a mouthfull i cant eat for hours, thats if i'm not sick, so i tend to avoid pizza, and any other type of bread, but i've found that the soft bun that Mc Donalds use for the fillet o fish goes down ok if i eat it very slowly.
This means i can go out with my son and into these places and i can at least eat something and dont feel like some sort of diet leapper, denial long term is difficult, besides as i only can eat such a small amount now i wont deny myself the foods that make life worth living !

Keep it up though because your doing great !

Thanks Silver, with all the support I'm getting at home and on this forum and from my closest friend getting to a healthy weight, for the first time in my life seems to be achievable

Alia, are you seeing Mr Pollard on the 22nd? I see him then too, what time is your appointment? Mine is at 10 or 10:30..can't remember.

Well done on not being tempted. Those costco pizzas are yummy too lol. You're doing so well on the mushy diet. I couldn't stand it, and was eating mashed potato after week 1, and pasta after week 3. You're doing it the right way, and you'll see the rewards.

Let me know when your appointment is.

Alia, are you seeing Mr Pollard on the 22nd? I see him then too, what time is your appointment? Mine is at 10 or 10:30..can't remember.

Well done on not being tempted. Those costco pizzas are yummy too lol. You're doing so well on the mushy diet. I couldn't stand it, and was eating mashed potato after week 1, and pasta after week 3. You're doing it the right way, and you'll see the rewards.

Let me know when your appointment is.

Hey Erin

My appointment with Mr Pollard is at 9.30 so fingers crossed we'll meet up there and all being well could go for a coffee or something. I'm working on a reply to your email so it should be with you soon

Alia xxx

Back