• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

day of op what to expect ??

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
hi
I just wondered what to expect, I have to be at salford royal at 7am, my hubby is taking me and my mum is looking after the 3 kids taking 2 to school etc...
will my hubby stay with me or leave, what other than essentials did you take with you, they dont mention pj's or nightie, I must need to take though mustnt I ?
getting closeish now so starting to pannic a bit

Hiya

I was private so it may be slightly different. I had to be at the hospital for 8.00am and I was 1st on this list, so all done and dusted and back in my room my 11 ish. I knew that I would be staying in overnight so took pj's and essentials only. I was so tired in the afternoon so just drifted in and out of sleep - so neednt of bothered with all the mags I got!

My OH stayed in the room while I was having the op and until around 7pm when I could see he was flagging. He was staying in a very near by hotel over night.

I was discharged first thing the next morning and homeward bound by 9.00am.

Good luck and dont worry - you will be fine!

thanks x

Hi.
I dont think your hubby will stay long. I went in at 7am alone but the other patients partners just stayed a short while then left. If he is visiting later he will be able to bring your nightie etc back. They advise not to have any valuables with you I did and had to list everything and count cash!! You will be given a gown and disposable knickers. I would take your slippers and a book or something to keep you occupied. Depending on where you are on the list will determine how long you wait. I was 2nd and waited to around dinnertime but I had to wait for a bed on HDU. Michelle who was 1st went down about 8.30. The nurses are really nice and you won't have anything to worry about. You see the aneathasist, surgeon and they explain things and if there are any last minute questions you need to ask. I walked to theatre and the last thing I remember was a nice gentleman attaching pads to my chest. Then I woke up in recovery. I remember seeing a clock at 4pm. Then you just drift in and out of sleep.

You will be fine like I said before the staff at Salford are really nice and there isn't anything to worry about.

Best of luck.

I went private too but I was there for 7am and my Mom came with me but by 7.20 I was told I was 2nd on the list and they then come and get you undressed and the anethatist visits you to introduce themselves and they have a look at your veins etc then the surgeon normally pops in and explains what is happening and checks he has you down for the right proceedure and you sign some consent forms and he asks if you have any questions. Then I had to have some bloods taken and was just about to go on the loo when they said they were ready for me so had a quick one and then had to walk down to the operating theatre. Actually walked myself into the theatre and go myself on the table and then saw the anethatist again and he asked me if I wanted gin or vodka tonic and i was just about to say neither as dont like them but I was out and next thing in recovery all done. Good luck and slippes and dressing gown are first essentials and your visitors can bring the rest.

Hiya hun

I was a Salford opper. I too was in at 7. Your hubby literally drops you off and is asked to leave. When its getting near your turn they will ask you to dress in your paper gown and knickers, dressing gown and the sexy stockings they provide lol. You then get on the bed and chill out for a bit. You are then met by the surgeon, the anaesthetist and a nurse and when they are ready for you, you walk to see the anaesthetist again and you wake up bypassed a couple of hours later :D

Hope that helps xx

Thanks all makes sence, stupid I know but when i was pregnant none of the shop bought paper knickers woudl fit, will these fit, also when you are being operated on are you naked, ley on teh table with no clothes at all on or are you covered ? stupid I know I am asleep but I really dont want to be a show for nurses.
thanks
xx

They will have to remove your gown so they can get to your body but they cover you with sterile stuff so they only see the bits they are working on - you must have watched Holby City or Casualty - no different! I didnt wear knickers as they put a catheter in whilst I was asleep. You will be fine and remember, they've seen it all before and if youve given birth then they've deffo seen everything!

I'm sure the gown is not removed. It fastens at the front so I presume they just open it and don't worry about the knickers and gown they're huge. I still had both of them on when I woke up.

I was also at salford my op as cancelled on the monday and rescheduled for the Tuesday at 7am. Because i was so nerous due to the cancellation my mum was allowed to stay with me but usually relatives are asked to leave as the waiting area is very small.

I was first on the list so was taken to the curtained area where i then saw Mr Aktar (the surgeon), then the anaesthetist and then I chnaged into the gown and I kept my knickers on as they are comfy had to throw them after as they had iodine on them but wasnt bothered. Then all i remember is lying on table whilst they got me ready then I was out for the count and woke up a bypasser.

I wouldnt worry about what to take with you if your husband is going up for visiting hours as he can bring your stuff then.

hi
I just wondered what to expect, I have to be at salford royal at 7am, my hubby is taking me and my mum is looking after the 3 kids taking 2 to school etc...
will my hubby stay with me or leave, what other than essentials did you take with you, they dont mention pj's or nightie, I must need to take though mustnt I ?
getting closeish now so starting to pannic a bit
Hello

Didnt wanna read and run , hope all goes well and try not to worry (easier sed then done I know)

All the best - MeJulie xx

I was on the same day as Kayb.
I was there for 7am, was told i was 1st down!
I went on my own as O/H was in work and my Dad was sorting kids out for us!
As you have already been told, you are seen by the nurses who weigh you, tag you, sexy sock thingie's on and takes blood.
Then the anesthatist comes and has a chat with you, then the surgeon.
Each practically goes over the same things, what will happen, asks what meds your on etc...
Gown opens at the front, like a dressing gown. Paper kex incl, which i mistook at 1st for a hat!!
Both MASSIVE!!!
Walked round to the waiting bay outside theatre's,
sat on a bed/trolley. Hopped off after a bit and walked round into theatre's. 3/4 ppl in there, sticking the monitor stickers on you, inserting canular, generally chatting to you - then before you know it your out!!

Back