• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Depo Contraceptive Injections

Alia

I first started taking this form of contraceptive when my baby was around 4 months old, I think I have had 3 injections so far, maybe 4. The nurse told me at the start that one of the side effects could be weight gain but I did n't think anything of it at the time. It stops my periods completely although I do get some cramping and back pain around that time of the month.

Last night I was thinking about my surgery and my weight loss etc and it suddenly occured to me that maybe this might affect my weight loss.

I was wondering if any one else used this form of contraceptive and if they had problems with weight loss.

I'm seriously considering changing to something else when my last injection runs out, think sometime in January but need something that really works as I can't afford to get pregnant now so soon after surgery.

What does every one else use and would you recommend it?

Alia xxx

I am on that and it always made me gain weight. Since my op I lost 20lbs in two weeks and i have plateaux since then. My 1st fill is mid jan so hoping that will help. It does not stop you loosing weight post op though. Hope this helps. Regards R x

Alia, I have an implant in my arm (same meds as depo) also had the injection. Depo and implant have both made me gain weight, but I have had no probs losing any since the op (bypass)
Never had any periods on either until I started to loose the weight but now I have up to three a month :( I have been told that when my weight loss stops they should become less erratic.
I had to weigh up between weight loss and getting pregnant, no choice really :8855::8855:

Depo is evil horrible stuff. I posted on another thread recently and said it is my biggest regret in life ever having it. Personally, I believe there is a strong link between depo and infertility in women.

I would never ever use it again.

Depo is evil horrible stuff. I posted on another thread recently and said it is my biggest regret in life ever having it. Personally, I believe there is a strong link between depo and infertility in women.

What was your problem with it. I have to say I've never had any problems with it and used it in the past after my first daughter was born and when I decided I wanted to get pregnant again I stopped it and 4 weeks after it had run out I was pregnant.

I think different people have different experiences with it, I just wanted to know if it might affect my weightloss

I am on that and it always made me gain weight. Since my op I lost 20lbs in two weeks and i have plateaux since then. My 1st fill is mid jan so hoping that will help. It does not stop you loosing weight post op though. Hope this helps. Regards R x

thanks for that, very helpful information

Alia xxx

Alia, I have an implant in my arm (same meds as depo) also had the injection. Depo and implant have both made me gain weight, but I have had no probs losing any since the op (bypass)
Never had any periods on either until I started to loose the weight but now I have up to three a month :( I have been told that when my weight loss stops they should become less erratic.
I had to weigh up between weight loss and getting pregnant, no choice really :8855::8855:

It stops my periods completely although I do get some cramping and back pain, but as you say, weighing it up, the choice of that or pregnancy leaves little question of taking it, I'm exactly the same cause I really can't afford to get pregnant now.

i feel it also has a link to pcos as most women i have spoken to who have it have at some point in their life had the depo injection, but as there is no medical evidence nothing is being done about it.

hi

im with shell here its bad stuff and left me with unexplained infertility for over 2 years before i finally got pg from coming off it for about a year i suffered with terrible boils down there and on my legs, weight gain, pain in my legs, not to mention i found how much it numbed me down there which i hadnt noticed whilst on it. id get of it asap and get a copper coil fitted no hormones and the sucess rate is almost as high. when you look into the effects of depo when women are ttc youd never touch it again

i feel it also has a link to pcos as most women i have spoken to who have it have at some point in their life had the depo injection, but as there is no medical evidence nothing is being done about it.

I tried it and it was not for me. It mucks about with your insulin which is why women gain weight while on it (I gained almost 40lbs over 2 months). Here is a study done on teens but can also apply to adults:
Obese Girls Using Depo Provera More Likely To Gain Weight, Study Says

Obese women usually have high hormone levels (fat cells produce hormones which stimulate insulin production), for some women the increased hormones + synthetic hormones (depo or norplant) = extreme weight gain and mood instability. I was one of those women, I thought I was going mad! Also, as Terri said I did not have PCOS before depo but developed it within 2 years after stopping it. Researchers think that PCOS is also linked to insulin & hormones so there really could be a link between the two. As Caroline mentioned, excessive uterine bleeding is a common side effect for larger women and was actually why I was taken off depo. I bled for 45 days without stop.

You seem to be lucky with your use and it probably won't cause you problems but many women, especially obese women are not able to use depo.

Just thought I would add my experiences. Yours has obviously been different.

Nic;)

My experiences are too personal for me to post publicly. I would just strongly advise anyone who is considering using it to research thoroughly beforehand.

PCOS sorry but what is that?

Like Phat girl I did pile on loads of weight with the depo and the implant, but I can only use these as a sure fire method of preventing an unwanted pregnancy. Personaly I got pregnant three weeks after an injection wore out so I didnt have the problems mentioned on here, but I have come across other ladies that have had fertility issues after taking it.
I will only be using it until Im 35 and then I will be able to be sterilised, doc will not consider it before then :mad: Have to say the only plus side of them is the lack of periods.

poly cystic ovarian syndrome means your ovarys are covered in little cysts you dont ovulate regularly you have hight testosterone levels can cause infertility weightgain faciel hair acne and it seems alot of people with find it very hard to loose weight

i also have pcos, i had to have treatment to concieve my son 9 years ago, the tablets didnt work, so i had serano injections which over stimulate the overies so thers a chance of a multiple birth with this treatment, on scan there was 2 eggs, 1 took and i got a ryan at the end of it, so there is hope for pcos suffers that want children.

liz x

Really? That is very worrying news as I have not decided if my family is complete yet. My partner has decided he doesnt want anymore, but with me just being 30 I think I might get the feeling I want another one in a couple of years!

What makes you say it causes infertility? I think Im going to have to research it a bit now you said that! Ive been on the depo a year now.

Regards R x

Back