• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

o/t - depo provera contraceptive injection

Caroline101061

This one is for the ladies! Ive been having a Depo injection for about 5 years now because of fibroids vs heavy periods. For years I havent had any form of bleed at all and now all of a sudden, Im spotting - only a little but nevertheless - spotting. Has anyone gone through this post surgery - Im 5 months now. Im mildly concerned and have made an appointment with my GP but I thought Id check here too!

I had the depo. It can go either way, no periods then spotting etc.
It may be that the op has altered you hormones slightly so triggered a bleed.

However, I came off the depo as i didn't like how it messed my body up. It is over 12 months since and things are still not right.

I came off it some time ago and I know what you mean - takes about 18 months to resettle your body. I was wondering if it was something to do with coming off my blood pressure pills!

Did consider but was told that as I have two rather large fibroids, it would fall out! Im actually willing the menopause on or considering a hysterectomy but do I really want more surgery!

Hi Caroline

It's a shame about your fibroids otherwise the mirena might have been perfect for you....this is what Women's Health says about it:

Fibroids and the Mirena Coil
Large fibroids are a common cause of heavy periods. If they are so large, or in such a position that they make the inside of the womb an abnormal shape, it is unlikely that the Mirena will remain in place, and would not be helpful as a treatment. With small to moderate size fibroids, it is quite reasonable to use the IUS and one study [5] has found that fibroids are less common in women who use the Mirena. A further paper has found that in the 5 women studied, a Mirena actually reduced the size of their fibroids [6]. This is only one report, of course, and the IUS cannot be recommended as a treatment for fibroids based on this alone, though it is very interesting.

I had mine fitted because although I was peri menopausal I still had heavy periods...it is a shame you are willing the menopause...without my hormone replacement and the mirena combined with a patch I think I would have gone nuts...lol

I hope you don't have to go down the route of a hysterectomy.

(((hugs)))

You are sweet - the Depo has been a lifesaver for me thus far but if its beginning to fail then I have to look at other options, hysterectomy being the obvious one - to be honest with you, Im not that fussed to lose it - it would be one thing less to worry about! My family has a history of fibroids and obesity and grumbling gall bladders and I got all three!

It's probably a result of your weight loss. Some hormones are stored in the fat stores, and are released as you lose weight. The more rapidly you lose, the more your hormone balance is affected. That's why women often have screwy periods during dieting and particularly post op. It should get better though :)

Having spotting or even a full period on the depo does not mean it is failing or failed. Some women still have regular periods on the depo but it still works as a contraceptive.

I have the mirena coil and hadn't had any periods for years, but I started spotting and passing a sort of brown stuff (sorry TMI) in the weeks following surgery.

Also happened when I lost weight on cambridge last year.

Must be something to do with the surgery.

Rx

Back