• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Despare! Why don't they do what they say they will?

Miss Tickle

I have reached the point of despair.
It's over a year now since I was referred to a plastic surgeon. I saw two of them.
The woman said I met all the criteria and they would do my arms ( I was overjoyed), my tummy ( totally ecstatic) and my boobs. I didn't want my boobs doing but she seemed to think they really needed attention.
The man ( boss) sees me for 30 seconds. Very humiliating having to stand in a blue paper gown and show it all to someone I had never seen before in my life , including my boobs, which, hitherto I had accepted as being small and low slung, but not freaky. He takes one look at me and says "there is nothing we can do for those breasts on the NHS". Ok. He went on to say, or rather bark, that my arms couldn't be done either but that I needed a Fleur dý Lys tummy tuck which he would do.
Back to the woman who said sorry, your breasts are obviously not deformed enough for NHS funding. Not deformed ENOUGH ! Great, so now I have a thing about my boobs too.
She explained they would write back to my GP for funding and would discharge me until he refers agin with funding. I said I didn't see the point of this as he had referred me in the first place, but hey ho, I'm a good girl and go home to wait.
By July I had waited enough so saw the GP. He said the letter from the surgeon had not explained what they could do for me and had written for details. Saw him for something else at the end of August and he said he hadn't heard so would write again. I have seen him lots of times about other stuff since then and each time he says he hasn't heard from the surgeon, despite his two letters and will follow it up.
I have rung for updates and am always told I will get a call back and never do.
Today I have managed to speak to his secretary ( miracle). She can't see any letters but one note from the GP asking for the surgeon to be chased. No chasing occurred.
In addition, my wls consultant told me , in January 2014, that he was appalled that I had been waiting so long, that I needed the skin removed. His last words to me were " I will write to your GP about your plastics right now". The secretary just read me his letter. It just talks about my blood tests. No mention of plastics. I should have known he would let me down, he let me down badly at the beginning of my journey too.
The GPs secretary said she doesn't understand what is going on and will speak to the GP and call me back. Maybe she will. I just need to know one way or another. Living in false hope is not a good thing. I feel despondant today. I realise that I have had this on my mind so long, just waiting for the blessed relief of getting rid of this mass of skin and the terrible back pain the physio says it will resolve.
Sorry for the long post. I just don't understand why they say they will do something and then don't. In my job I'd be sacked.
Xx

Last edited:
They have treated you atrociously !! As you say, if any of us performed like this in our jobs we'd get the sack !!

Is it worth contacting your local PALS and getting them to do a bit of chasing up for you?

I really hope you hear something positive soon xx

Thanks LL. I do feel badly treated. At leastif they just said get lost I could come to terms with it. I have thought about complaining but don't want to upset the GP practice. The whole family go there and i don't want to ruin the relationship. Having said that my son has had similar problems with the same GPnot referring him to orthopaedics when he said he had. Sorted now.
Do PALs do GP's too?
I wrote to PALS re the consultNT AT THE BEGINNING OF MY JOURNEY AND HE WAS ADVISED TO CHANGE HIS PRACTICE. cLEARLY HASN'T AS THAT WAS ABOUT HIM GIVING MISLEADING INFO AND NOT DOING WHAT HE SAID HE WOULD. IT DELAYED MY SURGERY BY MANY MONTHS !
XX

That is absolutely shocking to leave you for so long its as bad as some of our wls journeys. I hope they ring you back and something is sorted pronto. It also depends where you live I am aware of that I knew nothing of funding when o was referred for wls surgery. I also know some people who haven't got a great deal to have removed but still able to have it done because it has affected the psychologically. Which really is not fair when it comes to yourself. I also was told when I went into wls surgery op that by the time I was 2 yrs out it would not be available on the nhs yet people are having it done. Something has definitely changed but only for some of us typical xx

Amazingly i have had a call back from the surgery. She has spoken to the surgeons secretary. They didn't recieve a letter in July. What a surprise. The surgeons secretary said she will complete the funding paperwork but that it is highly unlikely that funding will be available as she hasn't known any of this type of funding been approved. I said I thought the GP funded it and the detail from the surgeon was what they had been waiting for. He clearly said in May that he would write to the GP for funding. The Gp's secretary said it'snot the GP who funds, it's the DCG?
I am confused and crushed.
A whole year of false promises and false hope. Completely crushed
Xx

Its the CCG. Its like the old PCTs, just organised on a more local level. But funding has been cut across the board.

I was told when I saw my GP it was unlikely that I would get funding and a week later I had a letter telling me it had been approved. That was in November and I saw the plastic surgeon at the royal free on 17th feb and he said the funding is the hard bit and now I am on the waiting list to go in for my fleur de Lis tummy tuck.

Be positive

Congratulations Steve xxx

Back