• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetes after surgery

beccles

I've been diabetic for 20 years so resigned myself to the fact that even post op I would never be in the 90 % of people whose diabetes goes into remission and that I would be able to stop injecting insulin - immediately post op my insulin doses reduced quite dramatically but now 4 weeks later my blood glucose has gone haywire and considering I am not eating a lot my BG readings are ridiculously high! (even with insulin)........
IS THERE ANYONE ELSE WHOSE DIABETES HAS DECIDED TO MALFUNCTION (couldn't think of any otter word than malfunction lol!)

Sorry didn't want to read and run, I think there are some who have had problems and hopefully they will be along shortly. NB malfunction is indeed a good word for your predicament! Have you had a word with your team or your Doc? What have they said? Just interested (or nosy) Trisha

penguina said:
Sorry didn't want to read and run, I think there are some who have had problems and hopefully they will be along shortly. NB malfunction is indeed a good word for your predicament! Have you had a word with your team or your Doc? What have they said? Just interested (or nosy) Trisha

Thanks Penguina, I've got an appointment with my Diabetes team next Monday (earliest I could get) and then I'm also seeing my consultant on the Thursday for my 1st post op follow up so hopefully between they will help........just getting so frustrated with it right now! :(

Hope you get some help for your diabetes.....Ive been really lucky as after surgery my diabetes went into remission. Ive not had meds since then. XX

Yeah hopefully they will sort you, as long as you are not too poorly in the mean time. I am only at the beginning of a diabetic road, so hopefully should get 'fixed' with the op. I have read some great stories on here though, where seriously insulin diabetics have fab results, so like you say you are maybe in that minority. But I am sure they can 'fix' you. All the best Trisha

Awww Bec Angel, what are your readings on?

I'm not on any insulin post op, can we help you with this?

Are you able to post your daily menu with me... on the daily record thread precious?

Here for you xxx

Operations can play havoc with blood sugar, it may be your body just having a blip.

A friend of mine has had 2 ops in the past 3 months and both times a few weeks after her blood sugars went wobbly.

She was told it's something to do with the anaesthetic taking up to six weeks to fully leave your body.

I am diabetic and on tablets but since my op my sugar levels have dropped from 10.7 when I came out if theatre to 4.9 this morning and u haven't had any meds for it yet!

well done debbie - how it is it going? still OK? you sound chipper - Trisha

Hello

I was a type 2 diabetic for about 12 years before my surgery - and twice with my daughters!!

My diabetes took 11 months to go into remission - and when I had my left knee replaced 8 months post WLS they shot up for a couple of weeks - but after the right one they spiked the first day then went back to normal.

I was on insulin - cut down to 4 units a day at the end until it disappeared - it can be related to how long you have been on insulin. I was offered tablets at one stage but politely refused!! ( I had had problems when on them before the insulin).

I didnt think mine was going to resolve but it did eventually my HbA1c runs about 5 now

Hope it sorts itself out for you

xxx

Hi Trisha

I am doing ok thanks, I have been told to half my meformin and test my sugars regularly because when I start with the fortisip protein drinks they can make the sugars go up again, so its trial and error.

Hi
Didnt want to read and run. Sounds like your not having much fun! My first thought is are you unwell in some way. For example are the wounds healed, urine infection etc. Next are you a bit more stressed than usual? This can influence blood sugar levels - although prehaps not as much as you describe. Finally I would urge you to contact both your diabetic and bariatric teams asap. You really need advice here. Good luck
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Back