• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Another newbie with questions please.

Gill123

Hello,
I am in the UK and new to the forum. I have diabetes type 2 and last year had to start injecting insulin along with tablets and diet control. I have been diabetic for about 15 years now. I also have Fibromyalgia since 2002 and have to take med’s for that, in truth the Fibro has affected my life more than the Diabetes, due to sleep problems, pain and lack of energy & memory, to the extent I had to give up my full time job that I loved.
I have done many diets successfully, then always put the weight + some back on over the years, so am now considering a gastric bypass as not only will it help me lose and maintain, but it will also help my diabetes.
I said “considering” mainly because I have a huge fear of surgery as this surgery isn’t a small operation. I have done research and some people seem to sail through this operation and are very pleased with it, whilst others do not, they have problems with hernia’s, gall bladder, vomiting, severe constipation, adhesions etc.
Apart from the fear of surgery, the other thing that makes me worried is basically am I going to be swapping one bag of problems (diabetes and fibromyalgia) for another set of problems that could be even worse and require lots more surgery!
I’d really appreciate anyone’s experience on this if you have the time? I also have some questions (sorry!) and would appreciate anyone input, thank you.
I weigh 16.8 stone so although not drastically over weight, it’s having a bad effect on my diabetes and since entering the menopause (now 54 years old) weight has gained more. I eat quite sensibly, although portion control is not good.
1. How do you manage knowing you cannot eat your favourite foods anymore for life?
2. Have you found foods you cannot eat now, such as rice, pasta or bread?
3. I have to take iron tablets for anaemia, cause unknown after many tests, does anyone else and how has that affected you?
4. I already suffer constipation at times and heard this gets worse after surgery? How do you combat this? I cannot tolerate some of the med’s because they cause me stomach cramps due to IBS.
5. How did you cope immediately after surgery, did it take you long to get over and cope with eating again in a new way?
6. Lastly how do you cope and more importantly hide loss skin, sorry that’s rather personal question, but I do not want to spend the rest of my life in a suit of armour 

Thank you
Gill

Hi Gill

I can only answer from my experiences so hopefully others will answer too so you get a balanced view.

Regarding fibro - I have gone from being tablet controlled to getting away with soaking in warm water if I feel there is a risk of an attack happening.

1. How do you manage knowing you cannot eat your favourite foods anymore for life?
Post op I lost any interest in food. I had to remind myself to eat. I used that honeymoon period to get in the habit of eating healthily. To be honest though I can eat most things as long as I stick to moderation. For example tonight I am taking my son and two of his female friends to 'Sing-a-Long-A-Grease' in Skegness which isn't well known for it's healthy eating establishments. Plus they are teens. No doubt the evening will involve McD's somewhere. While they have their 'whatever' meal, I'll have a small fries and I think they now do a healthy-ish wrap. Even then I won't manage it all but will bring it home for a midnight snack. Last Monday we went out for a meal with my parents. I had a salad for my main course and then had some of a slice of cheesecake for pudding, again bringing the rest home. If I listen to my body I can tell when it is getting to the 'I'm going to react if you keep on' stage.

2. Have you found foods you cannot eat now, such as rice, pasta or bread?
pork is the only thing that I REALLY struggle with. Everything else I can eat in small amounts and with carbs I have to be EXTRA careful with chewing and speed etc
3. I have to take iron tablets for anaemia, cause unknown after many tests, does anyone else and how has that affected you?
I would guess, but don't know, that they will keep a close eye on your levels and adjust accordingly. If you take a lot of 'hard' tables it will probably be worth investing in a pill crusher that most chemists stock
4. I already suffer constipation at times and heard this gets worse after surgery? How do you combat this? I cannot tolerate some of the med’s because they cause me stomach cramps due to IBS.
I drink the recommended amount of water and have no problems
5. How did you cope immediately after surgery, did it take you long to get over and cope with eating again in a new way?
I hated the puree stage but the liquid and mash stages were fine. As I mentioned ^^^^ I lost any interest in food for a long time so it was a good time to reeducate my way of eating.
6. Lastly how do you cope and more importantly hide loss skin, sorry that’s rather personal question, but I do not want to spend the rest of my life in a suit of armour 
Again, I've been lucky. Yes I do have excess skin but not a huge amount. Unless I'm going out I just wear 'normal' underwear. I'll never wear sleeveless tops and yes, it is only me that sees me in the alltogether but I haven't found it a problem at all.

So, as you can see, I've been one of the lucky ones. No horror stories or anything. I found the post op period easy (just boring!!) and used that period of having to remind myself to eat as a chance to reeducate myself.

I live exactly the same life post op as pre-op but with healthy choices when out (and that decision comes naturally).

Good luck on your journey x

Hi! I am replying to this on my phone, so please forgive any errors!!

I had a sleeve in December 2011. My highest weight was 16 stone 3, my current weight is 9 stone 9 and I've been maintaining that for over a year. I have had type 1 diabetes for 33 years. (I am 44) so I thought I could give you my perspective.

I had no complications with the op, just normal recovery.

I never had constipation before, now regularly have to take senna to keep regular!!!

In terms of eating and drinking, I was majorly shocked the first few weeks after surgery at how I felt when eating or drinking - feeling so full after a few sips, feeling like food was stuck, feeling like you've eaten a 3 course meal after only 5 forkfuls all took a bit of getting used to, but that's why it has worked for me. I chose the sleeve as I felt at 16 stone I didn't need the bypass, but wanted a permanent solution. I can eat whatever I want, but in small quantities. I do try to make sensible choices, still prioritising protein. I go out to eat regularly. If I am with my husband, I share his starter and main course. If I am with friends I order a starter as a main course. I rarely have room or indeed want any pudding.

As I lost weight I did exercise, and I love that I am now more active.

I have had issues with skin and was lucky enough to get tummy tuck on nhs. (I paid privately for sleeve) and just last week paid privately to have a breast uplift and reduction. I just felt that having worked so hard, I want to look the best I can. Bikini holiday is booked for October!!!!

Re the diabetes, mine was never going to be cured as I have type 1, but my insulin dose had reduced from 140 units per day to 34!!! I feel so much better and am hoping I am now at much less risk of diabetic complications, which was my main concern.

I hope that helps a bit, feel free to ask away!!

Crackers x

I weigh 16.8 stone so although not drastically over weight, it’s having a bad effect on my diabetes and since entering the menopause (now 54 years old) weight has gained more. I eat quite sensibly, although portion control is not good.
1. How do you manage knowing you cannot eat your favourite foods anymore for life? I am 5 months post op (Bypass) and I am 6 and a half stone lighter, I now opt for the healthier choices, last night we went for a meal I had chicken breast with salad and didn't even fancy pinching one of my fellas chips
2. Have you found foods you cannot eat now, such as rice, pasta or bread? I don't like pasta but rice I can have but 2 teaspoons fill me up and bread used to be my crack cocaine I was a total addict but I really don't miss/crave it at all
5. How did you cope immediately after surgery, did it take you long to get over and cope with eating again in a new way? I was very lucky post op I had no pain and needed no pain killers, I was up and walking at 9am after having my op at 4pm the previous day with no issues at all, I was tired for a few days after but within a week I was out driving shopping etc
6. Lastly how do you cope and more importantly hide loss skin, sorry that’s rather personal question, but I do not want to spend the rest of my life in a suit of armour I would rather live my life in spanx than live my life in size 26 tents as I did before, ok I would prefer to have no loose skin but thats not going to happen, you maybe lucky and get a tummy tuck on the NHS or start saving

Hi just to answer some of your questions...

I LOVED food, really really loved it but I can say I'm really not missing anything. Your tastes change after bypass and things you loved you now no longer like. I too had no appetite after surgery. If I'm completely honest it's the portion size I miss more than the food. I miss being able to sit down and eat without having to concentrate and think after every mouthful if that's me satisfied or not but that's it and I feel that's gonna get better after time. I'm only 10 weeks out. Plus if that all I miss I think I can live with that! :) small price to pay for good health! :) I haven't yet found anything I can't eat within reason obv no high sugar things.

I had some complications after surgery and developed an abscess in my abdomen due to a bleed in my muscle so my recovery was a bit longer than others but please do not let this put you off as I was just unlucky and only 10 weeks out I would already say it's the best thing I've ever done and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Your iron tablets I imagine will be altered after surgery and they will keep an eye on your levels.

I had sleep apnea and fatty liver and only 10 weeks out I no longer use my sleep CPAP machine and my liver is now back to normal. I've never felt so good and my energy levels are thru the roof.

I'm sorry if I've missed any of your questions out. Good luck in whatever you decide xx

Hi,

Welcome to the forum..

I echo what crackers said really, if the bypass is too scary for you (as it was for me) why don't you look at a sleeve? It's less invasive, less possible complications and repercussions afterwards. I'm due to have my sleeve on the 6th, I can't wait x

hi and welcome i am too new post op really to answer your questions as yet but wanted to say hi anyway

Back