• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calling all people with type 2 diabetes

TiaLi

Right, so this might be a bit of a rambling and emotional post but that's a reflection of how I'm feeling at the moment. Would really appreciate people's thoughts:

When I was first referred to the bariatric team and had my initial bloods taken I was assured by the nurses
everything was fine, and that I was not diabetic since my glucose levels were within the normal range. My gp has always said the same. However, during my first meeting with Professor Patel a year later, he said that my HbA1c from a year ago (the one everyone kept telling me was fine) actually WAS within the diabetic range. He therefore ordered another test, since the diagnostic procedure requires the A1c to be elevated over two consecutive tests.

So - I gave them bloods. Never heard anything back, which I assumed meant that everything was fine. I mean, what is the point in testing for a serious disease if you're not going to actually look at the results, right? Fast forward 9 months to my surgery day. During my meeting in the morning with the anaesthetist and one of the other surgeons on Professor Patel's team they casually mention that oh yes, I have diabetes. I got really confused and asked why no one had contacted me. No one could tell me why.

I took these news back to my gp, who was very sceptical and said none of her blood tests had indicated this, nor had she received any information about this. When asking about it again during my 6 week checkup with the bariatric team (basically asking if they could forward the bloods from that second A1c check that Professor Patel ordered), they couldn't find it on my records.

When they took my bloods at 3 months post-surgery I therefore specifically demanded a copy of the results so I could track things myself. The A1c at this time was 4.7% - that is well within the normal range.

When I had my six month checkup with the dietitian recently I asked once again about this and demanded a clear answer: do I have diabetes or not? The A1c at my 3 month post-surgery bloods was 4.7% so how on earth is that diabetes? What am I supposed to do? No one seems to be able to give me a clear answer or what I am supposed to do next in terms of treatment. She promised to check with the endocrinologist.

...which brings us to today. When coming home today there was a letter waiting for me - a copy of the letter the dietitian has sent to my gp. In it she among other things addresses my questions on the diabetes front, and says that the endocrinologist attached to the bariatric team can confirm that the A1c they measured before surgery indeed did meet the criteria for diabetes (it was 7.3%). They further state that the diabetes however appears to be in remission since the A1c from my six month test is 5.3%.

I find myself reacting very strongly to these news. My mother got type 2 diabetes when she was about 60, and while she is now controlled on Metformin she has peripheral neuropathy and consequent trouble with her balance at times. She also has the beginning of some eye issues, though I'm not entirely clear on whether they definitely are associated with the diabetes. Remission or not - I don't WANT to have the diabetes label on me. My glucose may be fine now, but lots of studies show it is a progressive disease and that glucose control actually doesn't have a dramatic impact on long-term complications like renal issues. I feel like I've been handed something akin to a death sentence. What's even the point in weight loss, eating healthily etc if this is just going to get worse and worse anyway? I'm 40 now, which is quite early to get this disease. So if I compare myself to my mother I see myself being in a worse state than she is when I reach 60, because I will already have had 20 years of progression by that time.

Yes, I know this sounds dramatic and is a very emotional response. But everything just feels very dark. Are there any people on here with type 2 diabetes who can share some of their experiences and thoughts with me? At what age were you diagnosed? How long have you had it? Does it HAVE to progress or can you actually stay in remission? Doctors seem to have very different views on this.

Thanks for listening to me rambling...

Hi Tia, I hope this helps and reassures you, I was diagnosed in November 2014 with a HbA1C of 85 (I imagine that’s 85% but I’ve never been told my results in a percentage form) I was absolutely devastated by my diagnosis and hoped it would kick start me into losing weight as I knew it was weight related. I was immediately put onto 4 metformin a day but in April 2016 it was decided I should also add in lyxumia injections, the step before insulin, however my HbA1C has steadily dropped as I have lost weight, still pre weight loss surgery and I am now just 1 point away from the pre diabetes range, I will always be diabetic even when I reach that range but my diabetic nurse has told me I should be able to come of the injections soon and following surgery I should be able to come of metformin and be fully diet controlled. Xx

I was diagnosed in 2010 and two years later was put on Metformin and Sitagliptin. In the had Victosa in jections which I didn’t get on with. My readings were around 8-9 or 55 depending on what measurement scales was used.

Day 2 or LRD and I stopped my meds as my bloodscweee too low. Post surgery I take no meds and my readings are normal. It isn’t just the diet that causes this but the actual op aparently in a high number of cases. Technically I will still be classed as diabetic for some time so that I can be monitored annually.

Do you have a glucose monitor so you can do daily readings? That was you have an idea of what your bloods are doing and therefore feel an element of control over what is goin on

Thanks @Bling Babe and @SAM55 for taking the time to post, I really appreciate it! I've asked for a glucose monitor so I can check myself - since my A1c is normal I haven't been referred to a diabetic nurse or similar, my gp is just keeping an eye on it (or well, I'M keeping an eye on it...they're not very proactive, feels like I have to drive everything myself and I also demand copies of all tests given my previous experience).

I guess my concern is how much of a long-term solution the surgery really is, or if the disease always has a progressive development. Can I really stay in remission indefinitely? There doesn't really seem to be a consensus on that in the medical community and there are conflicting studies. Even diet advice are wildly different depending on who you ask - the NHS still have the old "high fibre, plenty of starchy carbs, low fat" view while Diabetes UK (and most recent studies) on the contrary actively discourages carbohydrate intake. The latter feels a million miles more logical when it comes to glucose control, but a bit concerning that the NHS (and the US equivalent) seem slow in adapting advice to the growing scientific evidence in support of a low-cab diet.

I can only tell you advice I’ve been given is that carbs are not great at all, as far as remission goes from what I have been told and read you most certainly can stay in remission life long with a healthy diet and weight loss. T may help you to call diabetes uk or similar I think they would really help answer your questions and hopefully put you mind at rest. Good luck Tia, keep us posted xx

Back