• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did any post oppers bite the airway tube?

Clare*

Hello lovely people ...

When i met the anaethetist he warned me that some people bite the airway tube when they are waking up , and i need to NOT do that as i have front crowns ... but ... it would be a natural reflex wouldn't it ? i was just wondering if any of you remember biting , or panicing when the tube came out ? (wondering if i need to save for some serious dental work :cry:)

Thank you from cloudy Eastbourne xxx

I've never heard of that and I have had quite a few operations in my time.
I would think that in the semi concious state you are in when you are coming round from anasthetic you wouldn't remember anybody telling you not to bite the tube anyway.
So no, I wasn't told not to bite the tube and never have been told not to.
Lynne x

They ask about your crowns,I have had lots of surgeries and no probs.You wouldnt be aware of biting anyway you are so out of it!

I've had several surgeries and never heard about this, but they do ask you - several times - about lose teeth, caps and crowns before they put you to sleep.
I always thought it was more to do with something coming loose and blocking your airway to be honest!
xXx

Hi,

yes i did - I also nearly bit me own tongue off! and have a lovely cut/bruised tongue! its okay and getting better. still well worth it! I also still have some baby teeth in my mouth (yes i know at 30!) they were undamaged. try not to worry too much about it

xxx

When I was "in the trade", we would always check because if a crown should break off, and, heaven forbid, get inhaled into a lung, it would cause obvious problems. These can include collapse of a lung, infection, inflamation and bleeding. All of which will slow your recovery.

When I was "in the trade", we would always check because if a crown should break off, and, heaven forbid, get inhaled into a lung, it would cause obvious problems. These can include collapse of a lung, infection, inflamation and bleeding. All of which will slow your recovery.

and spoil your day :D

I've had a few surgeries in my time and don't remember ever waking up with any tubes still inserted. I haven't been told about any of this so possibly it differs from Surgeon to surgeon (i hope) like a lot of other things.

Back