• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did anyone see the bbc news tonight about the gastric band ????

chezza1

Hiya all.
I didn't watch the BBC news tonight but my husband came running upstairs to tell me it was on the news about soemone dying with the gastric band and should never have had it offered with a bmi at 29 which mine was. He is tramatised and thinks i have gone too drastic. is my hubby over reacting with it as i didn't see it.??? :confused::eek:
He didn't want me to have the procedure in the first place saying i dont need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see the news, but I know the media sensationalise things, blowing them out of all proportion. Chances are the patient in question had several other problems (medically known as co-morbid factors) which will have contributed significantly to his or her death. The media often fail to mention this during their reports. I can't say for definite that this is the case with this news report, but it is generally true.(This is just my opinion - not a medical one).

I didn't see it but I'm :eek: that you were allowed it too... OMG. I don't wish to alarm you though.... what's done is done. The Dr hopefully knows what he's doing.

I would suggest going and getting a second opinion though from elsewhere and getting a different Dr to monitor your health going forward.

I can't see how it's going to be any worse for you than for somone with a BMI a lot higher as you'll end up weigh-wise in the same place I'd have thought?

Don't stress too much, just get another Dr and look after yourself.

yes surfhunny the media do take it by both hands so to speak. My point exactly to my husband about medical history etc. We had a big debate on here over the last few days about mortality rates and i was appauled.
S&C quite a few people were shocked that My doc did it but i know im in good hands had no problems up to press and i am feeling good but it does say on the BBc website that a man went undercover to a doc with a camera his bmi was 29 and shaw somers states the doc was unethical for offering the band with a bmi that low. mmmmmmmmm now im pondering but must admit i was feeling as if i was putting on too much weight. I have been going to a slimming club all my adult life and never got to my target. Feeling good for now but i haven't had a fill yet!

I think you'll be fine. Just make sure you stay under close medical supervision and get to the doc's at the first sign that something doesn't feel right. A lot of the mortality rates will be based on people with a lot higher bmi's and the probs that come along with that, anaesthetic and surgical, plus post-op wound care etc. I always say you've got to do whats right for you at the time xx

Hiya all.
I didn't watch the BBC news tonight but my husband came running upstairs to tell me it was on the news about soemone dying with the gastric band and should never have had it offered with a bmi at 29 which mine was. He is tramatised and thinks i have gone too drastic. is my hubby over reacting with it as i didn't see it.??? :confused::eek:
He didn't want me to have the procedure in the first place saying i dont need it.
Hi, yes I watched BBC News tonight, cant remember hearing anything about anyone dying, just alot of discussion about people who have BMI of under 30 not having the surgery but going abroad to have in instead and the risks. But there are risks with any operation. I am waiting to here back from my referral and no matter what I will not change my mind.

Hiya Janie,
I wouldn't have changed my mind for the world i feel really good and my weight is dropping off. I cannot understand anyone going abroad for surgery just because its a thousand or so cheaper. I know i have the best Doc and my care with the wls group is amazing i couldn't ask for better. I didn't just go into it at the flip of a coin it was a decision i took over time and research.
Ok people might not be that obese but decide to have the procedure for health reasons which was in my case. My Dad passed away last year with prostrate cancer. He had a stroke ay my age (41) and mum bless her has everything going she is diabetic athmatic has angina and athritis plus a few other niggles. so that was why i chose to have it done.
My mum goes in for a band on the 22nd of oct to better her life but is quite over weight too.
Good on you Janie for sticking to your guns it takes someone with the courage of a lion to go through with this type of surgery. Have you got your funding and which procedure are you going for?

i saw it and thought it was saying if you have a lower bmi they dont feel it appropriate to always agree banding in this country but the guy in belguim doesnt have a problem with it. i dont think people died but at a bmi of under 30 the binifits of a band arnt the same not sure why tho

I did not see it but I am a great believer in when your time is up your time is up. We dont know what else this person was suffering from and the news just pick out bits that gets viewers watching, and it although I am hoping for the bypass it wont put me off either....xx

Hiya Janie,
I wouldn't have changed my mind for the world i feel really good and my weight is dropping off. I cannot understand anyone going abroad for surgery just because its a thousand or so cheaper. I know i have the best Doc and my care with the wls group is amazing i couldn't ask for better. I didn't just go into it at the flip of a coin it was a decision i took over time and research.
Ok people might not be that obese but decide to have the procedure for health reasons which was in my case. My Dad passed away last year with prostrate cancer. He had a stroke ay my age (41) and mum bless her has everything going she is diabetic athmatic has angina and athritis plus a few other niggles. so that was why i chose to have it done.
My mum goes in for a band on the 22nd of oct to better her life but is quite over weight too.
Good on you Janie for sticking to your guns it takes someone with the courage of a lion to go through with this type of surgery. Have you got your funding and which procedure are you going for?
Hi Chezza, after being overweight since child hood I think this is my last resort and I wouldnt change my mind for no-one. I have three children all by c-section so could have died giving birth, I am lucky enough to still have both parents(sorry for your loss)both overweight, dad is diabetic, mum has angina, arthritis, high blood pressure has had a couple of heart attacks, and 20 years ago did actually die twice in childbirth but servived. I am at early stages, just been referred by GP so waiting for appointment from surgen, up to him and then find out about funding, fingers crossed. Good luck for your mum.

I found this article on the BBC website

BBC NEWS | Health | Gastric band patients 'at risk'

The article focuses on people who travel abroad for banding and the surgeons who offer banding to people with a 'low' BMI (low meaning lower than the UK recommended BMI for GB)

Interesting read spooky, I have to say if the PCT turn me down for funding I would pay the 3,400 euros to get the band without any hesitation because the benefits out weigh the risks for me. But lets hope I dont have to go down that route...xx

Hello hun, didnt catch that news thing but you know that the doc wouldnt have offered you the op if you hadnt had so many obesity related diseases in the family.
I know how worried you were that you weight was creeping on and you would end up with the problems that your mum had, and how miserable you were on the never ending diets. You did the right think for you chez and dont let anyone else tell you other wise. Even been a couple of stones overweight is a misery and everyone on here understands that, look forward to those skinny jeans!!

I saw it, and never heard anything about someone dying. If that was on there, then I must have missed it :(

They interviewed Shaw as he runs one of the leading centres of excellence for bariatric surgery in the UK and is also a member of the British Obesity Surgery Society - a survey by BBC News was sent to all members of BOSS.

x

Last edited:
Weightloss surgery is everywhere on the BBC at the mo!!!

Just watching The Weakest Link, and a woman on there was talking about her RNY bypass!!! LOL!!! :D

x

Weight loss surgery is becoming seemingly increasingly common. I have noticed since joining Minimins that this board has got busier.
I think the key is, like any diet, making an informed choice and knowing the pros and cons. Before I found CD I was considering WLS but there's no way I could have afforded it as I would not have met NHS criteria. Even if I had saved what I spent on CD I would not have come close. I wish anyone who opts for surgery luck in their weight loss journey. :)

I watched this piece of news and it didn't mention anyone dying from the surgery.

It did ask the question "should people with a relatively low BMI (less than 30) be considered suitable for banding surgery?"

Additionally, it talked about the particular problems faced by people who had this type of surgery overseas, specifically the lack of after-care if something should go wrong. Currently, the NHS picks up the pieces when surgery goes wrong.

It focused on this particular doctor because when he spoke with the undercover patient, he appeared to be unconcerned that his BMI was less than 30.

With all surgery, there are risks to health either through anaesthetic or other complications. There is always a risk of death to the patient. That is why these procedures are not considered unless absolutely necessary. I always thought that the BMI had to be over 40 for surgery to be considered, and if less than that then other ways must be tried first.

Surgery should always be a last resort, not a first one, for this reason.

AJ

In order to get approved for surgery you have to prove that you have made alternative attempts to lose weight and tried medication like reductil. More often over a period of two years. It's not a quick choice and I like others on here have taken on board all the advice offered and then made a decision. No one is forced into having surgery. BMI under 40 with co morbidities like high blood pressure or diabetes brings it into the guidelines, however, I have not seen any NICE guidelines for a BMI less than 35 with or without comorbities. Its good to know no one died but again I think its personal choice and should be no one elses decision but your own.

It focused on this particular doctor because when he spoke with the undercover patient, he appeared to be unconcerned that his BMI was less than 30.

Let's clarify that the surgeon concerned is Christiaan De Bruyne and NOT Shaw Somers, as the title of this thread could lead people to that wrong conclusion...

x

Last edited:
Let's clarify that the surgeon concerned is Christiaan De Bruyne and NOT Shaw Somers, as the title of this thread could lead people to that wrong conclusion...

x

Thanks for clarifying that, Olsbols. I must admit, I did not pay attention to the name of the doctor who was being investigated.

AJ

Back