• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The very poor gastric band portrayal on BBC Holby City

Yes it was with the hospital group. As I said above I did not find it did what was promised. Filled it gave me nothing but physical pain and discomfort. I could not even eat a boiled egg without feeling like I was having a heart attack and all the while even though being able to eat very little stopped loosing weight. I am left with horrific scars because I was given international stitches, which you could see huge gaps between stitches and in general just feel it is huge.y over rated and not a aid to my weight loss at all.
I honestly do not know what it's function is because it does nothing for me s claimed.

What surgeon did you use?

We both used MR SUPER, I was originally booked in for a different consultant but after researching the internet, I changed my mind due to the large amount of bad press he had received. So glad I now close Mr Super:) x

I really liked mr super his first question to me was so how long have you been fat for!! I straight away thought yep he's the one. On the day of my surgery he sat talking through the paperwork and then said I would be better to be talking to him wouldn't i (my hubby was sat in the room too) your not really listening are you haha I was far too stressed x

Men are not interested are they lol! Hows your husband been since the surgery and weight loss? Mine has been vile, if I don't eat he goes mad and then today when I was having some soup, he said "are you eating again?" then he wonders why I get upset and don't want to eat. I Liked Mr Super too, straight to the point xx

To be fair he's been amazing only thing is he's eating what I can't so I think he's putting weight on.
Why is your husband even thinking about what your eating? You know what your doing he doesn't need to get involved. I think maybe he's a little insecure do you think? Mine didn't say much about the loss to start with. Then he saw me in my undies and was very shocked. I think he's relieved in a way. I don't know that might be just in my head. His ex is very tall and very slim where as I'm short and fat. His mother said a while back a comment about it. My hubby didn't defend me even after he saw that I had heard. It made me feel horrible and I thought maybe he was embarrassed. My problem is that we eat well ate huge volumes of food and went out a lot so the last 3 stone I kinda blame on him anyway lol.
No wonder your feeling upset if he's being un supportive but something makes me think hes nervous for the future xx

You hit it on the head there!, he is very insecure about it, he does not like the comments I am getting from people. He is 8 years younger than me and very handsome, he always got the attention and now I am, he's had his nose push out and does not like it! A few weeks ago he wanted me to have it removed, I am doing this for me, not him! I don't think it helps that the consultant told him that 80% of people who have weight loss surgery get a divorce! I just need to reassure him that I have no intention in leaving.

I had the same as you with the mother in law, she lives in Italy and the first time I met her was the day before my wedding, she walked through the airport, took one look at me, patted my belly and said "Oh bambino", I just looked at her and said, no I am not pregnant I am just fat, my husband could not stop laughing, I took an instant dislike to her!!. Men x

We both used MR SUPER, I was originally booked in for a different consultant but after researching the internet, I changed my mind due to the large amount of bad press he had received. So glad I now close Mr Super:) x

Donna who was the original consultant you chose out of interest?

Donna who was the original consultant you chose out of interest?

Was original booked in with Mr Audun Sigurdsson, if you google him you will notice that there was a few deaths from surgery's that he had performed on patients with gastric bands, even though they went to court, it was concluded that these people died through complications from health issues after surgery, but it was enough for me to cancel, did not want to take the risk. After research Mr Super, only good things came up and he is know in the medical field as having the least complication post op.

Was original booked in with Mr Audun Sigurdsson, if you google him you will notice that there was a few deaths from surgery's that he had performed on patients with gastric bands, even though they went to court, it was concluded that these people died through complications from health issues after surgery, but it was enough for me to cancel, did not want to take the risk. After research Mr Super, only good things came up and he is know in the medical field as having the least complication post op.

Thank god it's not the surgeon I have, I was worried there for a mo, it's such a worry without knowing that I would have done the same as you and cancelled him.

Thank god it's not the surgeon I have, I was worried there for a mo, it's such a worry without knowing that I would have done the same as you and cancelled him.

I've not seen any bad press on your surgeon, are you having it done at THG?

Mr Richardson is very good he often put 3 ml in during in surgery. Least you start with some restriction mr super only put 1ml in mine x

I've not seen any bad press on your surgeon, are you having it done at THG?
Hi Donna yes THG, I fly down to Birmingham on Thursday, they pick me up from the airport and take me to Dolan park, I then get the op the next day and check out on Saturday lol sounds like I'm of to a hotel for a couple of days, so far I've been very pleased with them and cannot fault them. Gosh it's only 6 days now.

Mr Richardson is very good he often put 3 ml in during in surgery. Least you start with some restriction mr super only put 1ml in mine x
Thanks bichonbabie, that's good to know, I am really hoping to get a wee kick start so a little in my band would be fab, I wonder why some people get some put in and some people don't.

I asked and the said it depends on the surgeon. I always wonder why some get a 10ml and some 14. If it was due to stomach size I would have thought I would have a large one due to my huge appetite thought would gave a massive stomach. Yet I've got a 10ml band. I was very happy with the way Dolan park looked after me. They took very good care of me. To be fair I only had1ml in on op day, but on my first fill a few weeks later they put 3ml in so didn't have to wait too long xx

There will never be a dramatic storyline made about someone who eats sensibly and exercises, losing 1 to 2 lbs per week. People want to believe that bariatric surgery is an easy option, that afterwards you can eat whatever food you want in whatever quantity you want yet magically lose a stone while you sleep each night. Because there has to be some pain to balance the magic (or why wouldn't EVERYONE have a band) the other thing people want to see is that patients who "cheat" the system run the risk of dire complications which will ruin their life.

It portrays all fat people and bariatric patients in a bad light, but nobody wants to see the undramatic truth of slow and steady weight loss requiring a lot of effort.

I asked and the said it depends on the surgeon. I always wonder why some get a 10ml and some 14. If it was due to stomach size I would have thought I would have a large one due to my huge appetite thought would gave a massive stomach. Yet I've got a 10ml band. I was very happy with the way Dolan park looked after me. They took very good care of me. To be fair I only had1ml in on op day, but on my first fill a few weeks later they put 3ml in so didn't have to wait too long xx

I think it is Mr Super who uses a 10ml band and the other all use a 14ml, when I asked why he said that you get more restriction straight away with a 10ml as it is snug and it prevents you having too may infills, where a 14 ml will be lose and need infills more regularly xx

Oh I had Mr Sigurdsson and cannot fault him.
yes read the death as well but it is within the risk of one-to-two percent that we all have to take on.
I had three months and one year checks too and find them helpful with the surgeon.

if I had ANY issues, I would consider asking him about anything.

Hi Donna yes THG, I fly down to Birmingham on Thursday, they pick me up from the airport and take me to Dolan park, I then get the op the next day and check out on Saturday lol sounds like I'm of to a hotel for a couple of days, so far I've been very pleased with them and cannot fault them. Gosh it's only 6 days now.

Not long now, are you getting excited? x:)

Not long now, are you getting excited? x:)

Hi Donna, I've been quite emotional today, my sister visited for the weekend and going shopping and going out for food and drinks, I stayed at home it's been really tough yesterday and today, I even shed a few tears, it's just the pre op diet Ive struggled with but I suppose back to work tomorrow so things will be easier. Yes only a few days to go, can't wait now, thank you for asking x

Hi Donna, I've been quite emotional today, my sister visited for the weekend and going shopping and going out for food and drinks, I stayed at home it's been really tough yesterday and today, I even shed a few tears, it's just the pre op diet Ive struggled with but I suppose back to work tomorrow so things will be easier. Yes only a few days to go, can't wait now, thank you for asking x

I found the pre op diet so hard and very emotional too, I would cry for no reason, but really the reason was lack of food, one thing I can tell you is that as soon as you have your op, you will not be hungry for a long time, its amazing one day makes. Sending you a big hug x

I agree the pre op was hard. At least once your op is done its easier to not think about food because you worry about the damage caused.
You will do great wont be long and it will all be over. Stay positive xx

Back