• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Having a band is the same as cosmetic surgery...apparently

Summerband

Hi peeps.

I had an interesting day at work today when my boss told me I was not entitled to sick pay for my post op recovery.

I have kept my band confidential at work but took 2 weeks off after my op. I had a GP's cert saying that I was recovering from surgery....completely true.

My boss has tried to claim on the insurance for my sick pay, and they wont pay out. As they have checked my GP records and told my boss that my condition does not qualify for sick pay. He knows I had something done which falls into the cosmetic surgery category as that is what the insurance told him.

My boss today put pressure on me to tell him what I had done.

I said that I had an elective procedure to improve my health and stop me getting more ill. I also said that I went private as I didn't meet the NHS criteria to have it done as it was not yet bad enough. All true. As I was at high risk of all the obesity complications such as diabetes and heart disease etc....plus my PCOS was bad due to my weight. All risks have now reduced and PCOS improved. So it worked.

He has asked me to get a letter from my doctor to say that my procedure was necessary. I am not planning on doing anything else.

I do feel bad, but I have a right to confidentiality. I even offered for him to reclaim my 2 weeks pay gradually if he needed to.

What do you guys think.?:confused:

los in it

you should not if you don't want to say anymore ,would telling all make the insurance company go" we understand ,lets sign it off" my guess is no! if they have checked your medical records wouldn't the type of operation you had be stated in there?

Summerband

Yes it is in the records, and I gave permission to check them to the insurance company but they have a confidentiality policy which it appears they are following...which I am glad about. I am generally a private person and don't want the 40-odd people I work with knowing my business.

There is a confidentiality issue in my workplace as it is, I know if I told anyone, it would become a public secret....not what I want.

RaeB

Check your company sickness policy and procedures. Check to see if/where it states that your bosses actions comply with policy.

Bluedawny

Cheek

I would kick off at the insurance company and tell them they have abused your confidentiality rights!! The only one that should have approached you was them!!!

RaeB

It should all be written into the policy or procedure. If not, then you can raise a grievance against your manager.

paddyp

Before your GP can release confidential information about your health records they have to have a signed statement from you agreeing to the release of specific information. Have you signed something in your contract agreeing to release this info - if not then your GP is totally at fault for releasing the details and the insurance company too. If this breach of the Data Protection Act has actually happenned then you have grounds to take further action through the Data Protection Commissioner.