• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Did you go private? If so does your GP do your bloods and vits?

emmakc

Hi everyone,

I've had a bit of trouble with my GP over my having a gastric bypass privately. I don't qualify for it under the NHS and I figured rather than waiting until I get big enough I would borrow the cash and pay for it myself!

I just wondered does your GP let you have your blood tests done through them and do they prescribe your vitamins. This is a lifetime commitment so I wondered what the NHS will help with!

Hi everyone,

I've had a bit of trouble with my GP over my having a gastric bypass privately. I don't qualify for it under the NHS and I figured rather than waiting until I get big enough I would borrow the cash and pay for it myself!

I just wondered does your GP let you have your blood tests done through them and do they prescribe your vitamins. This is a lifetime commitment so I wondered what the NHS will help with!
hey Emma, my doc did mine for me, but they dont have to, and some people get charged, so its just up to your doctor really honey, hope he does it for you, good luck :) xxx

My doctor says he'll be happy to do it for me, but then he's very on board with the whole idea so that helps! Is there no-one else at the surgery you could see who might be more supportive?

I'm having the sleeve so not sure about bypass but, my Doctor still doesn't know and to be honest their attitude to overweight people sucks so I may not tell them until it's over.

I got a telephone appointment with a different GP at the surgery - strangely enough she called about two minutes after my post. She said they would do the blood tests and prescribe the vits (apart from sanatogen 1 a day), she also said if anything happened in the future I could be referred to NHS. I feel much better now, I'm borrowing the money to have the op and I don't have savings (who does these days)!

Glad to hear you have found a doctor that is happy to do the bloods and vitamins for you emma, hopefully that has helped put your mind at ease xx

Hi Amanda, it definitely has! I've decided to go for it, I've called the hospital but they are away until next week so she'll call me back with a date then. Thanks for your chat - definitely made me decide to go for it and shed the lardy! Emx

Good for you emma!! It's lovely hearing you sound so positive.. xxx

I had no problems with my GP over the bloods, and the district nurse too my stitches out... I stayed on omeprazole for a few months again prescribed by the GP. Ive never asked about the vitamins and just buy those myself cos they are cheap enough.

6 months post sleeve I could do with having my bloods done again, I'll check that out when I go to see him i a few weeks.

I think every GP is different, I am lucky that mine is very supportive x

My GP allows me have bloods done, and very kindly gives me my B12 injection every 3 months, but he refuses to give me my vitamins, I have to purchase them privatley !!!!

He says their much too expensive for him to provide, even though I have to have them for life !!!!!

After paying for my own op, my GP has prescribed Lanzoprazol, Forceval and Calcichew with no problems, I've stopped the iron tablets as I didn't need them (there is some iron in Forceval anyway).
I get B12 every 3 months and bloods every 6, although they will do them more regularly if required.
I bought my own soluble zinc, selenium and various other bits 'n' pieces to cope with the months leading up to, during and after the bypass, mostly to combat potential hair loss.....which didn't happen.

Now trying to get skin removal is a whole different story....no chance.

I went private and my gp is really supportive and pretty much provides anything I ask for. I pay for my prescriptions and buy my vitamins separately even though she did provide me forceval but I had an allergic reaction to it. She is looking into find me something else right now. I appreciate I'm lucky though as a previous GP wouldn't have done a thing as they didn't support it. I say to change if you doctor isn't supportive as you really need them to be as you can't always get to see your team for everything

How do you take your Forceval, I know it's a stupid question, but was never told at the hospital, so was just swollowing it whole, then I read somewhere that you're only supposed to take the liquid so I cut them open and squeeze it into something strong flavoured, cos it is disgusting.

You swallow whole. You can cut the tip off in the early days and squeeze it in a bit of yoghurt if you have trouble swallowing it as it is a big tablet but you won't get the full effect and it is foul! You are better off getting some chewy multivitamins for the early days if your not on them already and taking the whole forceval as soon as you can. Like I said I had a allergic reaction to it so now I take sanatogen a-z. These are acceptable but not as strong as forceval so if you can get it and can manage to swallow it (most people are fine from about 2-4 weeks post op but check with your team if you are worried), then it is the best option :) x

I swallowed forceval along with all my other meds whole from day one!!!! I am really beginning to worry that they either haven't done me a proper bypass, or if they have they have made my pouch too big or something, as even a big tablet like forceval went down and I didn't even feel it...:confused::confused:

Back