• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dieting while waiting for referral?

Mrs Norris

Hello everybody,

I discovered this site a few days ago and have already received some great advice.
I am currently 'preparing' myself to see my GP to ask for a referral to L & D for WLS.
Knowing that there may be help available to me has given my moral/motivation a much needed boost. I want to use the momentum to re-join Slimming World, my BMI is 45, so I could lose 28lbs and still meet NICE criteria. I have lost weight before (lost the same 4 stones twice with SW and countless times lost up to 2 stones) so feel that I could start losing again.
How might weight-loss affect my chances of securing NHS funding? How might the surgeon view current weight loss? I am nervous that if I am seen dieting successfully, they will say carry on as you are! (Only to fail again)
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer.

I am waiting for my first appointment at the L&D and will start a diet once the hospital has my weight....
I would make sure you G.P has a record of you weight before dieting...
I am going to do weight watchers for a few weeks after my appointment(but my own diabetic version.)
I will eat breakfast and lunch as normal...but I think I will get some ready meals in and see how that goes(as i really struggle with portion sizes if left to my own devises :cool:....
I don't want to start playing around with insulin to much as its taken a while to get them stable...
Good luck with SW...if its worked before then it will again..onwards and downwards hun x x

I lost 55lbs before my surgery & was just under NICE guidelines but had got my funding whilst I was still within them.

If i was you i would not even attempt to lose weight until your initial consultation with a surgeon! At your consultation ask his opinion on you trying to lose weight in preperation for your surgery so as to reduce risks etc. Be sure to ask him to clarify exactly how much you weigh (on the day of consultation) in at, that way you'll know it's been documented. It's good if you can show a loss as it shows a committment to changing your future eating habits...

All the best my lovely, let us know how it goes x

Hi Mrs. Norris,

I wasn't asked to lose weight but had started prior to my first consultation... I have lost in total around 40lbs so far, but have discussed with the surgeon the fact that I cannot sustain the loss and my weight pattern is such that I regain what I have lost and more, that was accepted...

I am also diabetic so it's very difficult to lose weight with the particular types of insulin that I am taking, amongst other medications... needless to say, I have been very strict with myself since July to get to where I am, but as soon as I start to eat normally, I would literally balloon upwards again.

For the sake of assisting my mobility, for the benefit of helping myself prior to surgery and also because it is keeping my focus and getting me in training post surgery, I feel better for losing some weight, but agree with Julie that you need to be guided by your Consultant, I have co morbities so maybe I got off lightly... but it's so good that we can all discuss our individual situations to help others on their wls journey...

Sending love and hugs plus the very best of luck xxx

I agree with others,dont do anything till you see doctor.With cutbacks they may move the goalposts and you might not qualify for funding ie if your bmi is too low,no comorbidities.Some hospitals are stopping all ops and waiting a few months to catch up on the backlog of people that have been waiting months or even years.

Hello everybody,

I discovered this site a few days ago and have already received some great advice.
I am currently 'preparing' myself to see my GP to ask for a referral to L & D for WLS.
Knowing that there may be help available to me has given my moral/motivation a much needed boost. I want to use the momentum to re-join Slimming World, my BMI is 45, so I could lose 28lbs and still meet NICE criteria. I have lost weight before (lost the same 4 stones twice with SW and countless times lost up to 2 stones) so feel that I could start losing again.
How might weight-loss affect my chances of securing NHS funding? How might the surgeon view current weight loss? I am nervous that if I am seen dieting successfully, they will say carry on as you are! (Only to fail again)
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer.
I forget to add..the L&D will ask you to lose 5% of your body wait before being put forward to the surgeon ..which is why I am waiting to get weighed officially at hospital...:D

Back