• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What exactly is the Slimming World diet

Miss Tickle

Having put some weight on I'm about to do a couple of weeks of drastic dieting but want a long term programme to follow until nearer my op date (Octoberish.) I've read a few people have had success with the SW diet, that it's not too bad to stick to and talk about red and green days. Trouble is I hate group diet things and am far to broke to join an online club. I was wondering if anyone could just tell me the basics of it to see if it might be something I could try.
All advice gladly received :thankyou:

What a shame, i had a book with the plan in but threw it away last week!

Basically slimming world used to be red n green days. Red days are meat only (virtually), green are veg/pots/pasta (carbs really) days. They also like you to have 'healthy extras' which are milk/cheese etc....

I would recommend going now whilst it's probably 'free to join', face the embarassment of the weigh in (we've all been there) get the consultant to explain the plan fully, then never go back.... Sorted, you can then use the minimins section to ask questions if you get stuck :) xx

Honestly go along to a meeting,everyone is in the same boat.and you will get on better/get more tips/lose more weight if you go and stay to group.Dont just weigh and run!As soon as I have my first appointment Im going back myself.Maz x

Ooh yes ZNS ask your doctor to send you. I think you get something like 10/12 sessions for nothing xx

Thanks- I didn't know that ! He's never mentioned it. I've been looking at the Atkins Diet tonight and it sounds brill. I'm wondering if it's worth trying. I'm just abit suspicious about the cream and butter!
Anybody had any experience of it?

I did Atkins a couple of years ago. I did lose weight initially but it gave me terrible constipation, founds I was eating too much meat (especially fry ups) and I really missed fruit. Slimming World or Weight Watchers are healthier options and are sustainable long term.

Thanks Stella and B&B-great advice. I have fatty liver already so I can't afford to aggravate it. I just couldn't get into my head how you could eat so much fat-I've avoided it for 25 years!

SW is a great diet if you like to be able to fill up on things....they have a lot of things that are classed as Free Food.....veg, salads, fruit etc. that you can eat lots of and depending what day you are on you can eat as much as you like or meat or on a green day pasta, rice, potatos etc. I found it was one of the easiest to stick to :D Good Luck XX
p.s. I lost nearly 10stone on SW years ago.

That's good to know Jacqui. Hunger is my worst enemy right now. I know it won't be such an issue after surgery but at the moment I have a big appetite so filling up is good.

Right-I've decided. Slimming World it is. But not til after payday.
x

Hi

My OH has just started doing Slimming World and its changed slightly from the red and green days.

They now do something called extra easy, here it is in a nutshell:

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Anything that’s Free Food on Green OR Original – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish and all the Superfree food – is totally Free on Extra Easy! Yes, you can eat unlimited meat, potatoes and veg, fish, chips and mushy peas, and chicken curry and rice with no measuring, no weighing, no counting – no kidding!
And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Superfree Food!
2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread and cereal.
3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

And if the Syn values for Green and Original foods are different on the standard Syns lists, count the lower one!
------------------------------
If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check………
1.Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2.Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3.Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4.Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5.Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Superfree Foods to half of your plate

OR

B: switch to more Speed Foods

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Sounds too good to be true BUT people were losing 7lbs in their first week.

Good luck!

Yes, you can eat unlimited meat, potatoes and veg, fish, chips and mushy peas, and chicken curry and rice with no measuring, no weighing, no counting – no kidding!

LOL! This sounds like my normal diet!
Thanks very much for this. I think the way you fill the plate must help with portion control. How did your OH do, and what is his start weight.
It's really good of you to have put all this info on.
:thankyou:

Hi

No problem at all, thought I would share as Im the chief cook in the house I will be making sure he sticks to the plan lol.

Yes it definatly down to way the plate is filled. He was told to have 'at least' 1/4 of veg but a 1/3 is better.

He only started this week but its going well. I will let you know on Monday how he has faired lol x

I couldn't get to grips with the Easy Options - it was far too complicated for me... Red and Green are ok, but I found it didn't help with portion control, and I was eating the same foods over and over and got bored!

The plan says you could eat as much as you wanted, yet my consultant said portions should be 'within reason'. She said that we shouldn't go eating 'catering size tins of beans' - cheeky mare, as if I would!

Be careful if you use a fair bit of processed/ready made meals - sometimes the sin value of these change and you won't know unless you go to class.

Another way of getting info for nowt - do you have a friend, relative or work colleague who's doing or has done the SW diet? Pick their brains for sin values and any new to the market branded foods.

There's also the Slimming World magazine which is good as it has inspirational stories, recipes and includes a week's menu - all worked out for you. I think you can get this from good newsagents (but you used to get it a bit cheaper at class).

I'm having SW Tuna Fish Bake for tea tonight - tin of tuna (b), 1 table spoon of Phili light (sins), chopped onion, frozen chopped mixed veg, chives, parsley, salt, pepper - cook in pan. Put in ovenproof bowl, top with mashed potato or turnip and cook for 15-20 mins in oven til brown. Can sprinkle a bit of cheddar on too as an (a) option. Lovely. You can in theory eat it all.... but what would OH do!?

Also something I need to think about as I don't do complicated. Work is compl;icated-food has to be easy for me lol
Thanks xx

Back