• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dilation of Stricture

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
Hi everyone,

I've had a bit of week of it and thought i'd share..:)

Ok, so went in for "day surgery" on Monday morning to have my stricture dilated. As some of you know i haven't been able to progress onto anything other than liquids or yoghurts since my bypass on 12th April.

Unfortunately the stricture was severe, there was a lot of scar tissue. I was given sedation but it did nothing at all for me and i spent most of the procedure retching with tears running down my face. I can honestly say it was awful.

Anyway when the camera was taken out i was in an awful lot of pain in my stomach and across my shoulders ( much more than my bypass ) and the surgeon thought it might have perforated - basically there may have been a small hole - so he decided to admit me. I went down for an xray and they could see an air line which indicated a hole.

I was nil by mouth from Monday to Thursday morning when i was allowed to sip water, i then was allowed free fluids today , coffee , tea , clear soup that sort of thing today and at 5pm they decided i could go home.

I wasnt really in any pain apart from some soreness after Tuesday but the problem with having a perforation is that it would cause a leak which can be lethal - the tighter the stricture the harder it is to stretch i guess.

I've also been told i have to go back in 2 - 3 weeks for another dilation which i'm dreading but will do as it's in my best interests. At first i kept asking to go home as i lose money every day i'm not at work as i'm a contractor but then the doctor told me a couple of people recently died from having this issue and it bought it home to me how serious it could be.

So if anyone is having problems progressing onto solids i would strongly suggest you speak to your team asap as the longer it's left the harder it will be to sort out... Saying that , i spoke to my team about it when i was 6 weeks post op and it's taken till i was 14 weeks post op for them to get it sorted out lol.

Hope you're all well. I've missed quite a bit over the last week or so - have a lot to catchy up on.

xxxx

Poor you, what a week you've had.
Hopefully this will be the end of your problems now.
Take care x

What a rough time youve had, you poor thing! I hope its all sorted for you now and you can eat a little more food than you have been doing. X

o goodness me! i hope your sorted soon hunni thats an awful long time to be on fluids..... all the best x

Thinking of you and hoping that you soon start to feel some relief and improvement... you have certainly been through the mill... lots of love and hugs xxx

Thanks everyone... I was feeling very sorry for myself at the beginning of the week and am dreading the next dilation - but health comes first x

Sounds like you've had a rough time of it recently. I can sympathise to some extent as I had to have 2 dialations but luckily they went well and I was fine afterwards. I presented to them with symptoms 6 weeks post op and they had me in within 3 days of me calling them.

Hope you're feeling better and able to progress soon xx

Must admit Jaxx , i so wasnt prepared for complications as i hadnt read about anyone who'd had a perforation...Thought i'd be in and out in a couple of hours - trust me to be the exception lol

i hope you get it all sorted out soon please keep us updated xxx

So sorry to hear you have been going through a bad time hun, really hope you are sorted out now, and best wishes for the next visit, sending hugs xxxx

just wanted to give a HUG and wish you all the best for a speedy recovery x

You poor thing, that sounds completely dreadful.
I hope it gets completely sorted out FAST.....

is there any chance you could have sedation/anaesthetic for the next dilation? I had a shocking time with my endoscopy so have total sympathy with you.

I know it has to be done,but it's a horrible experience.

sending hugs xxx

Sending a huge hug and blessings for your recovery, thinking of you and sending love xxx

Poor you... that sounds like an awful experience. Hope you're improving now and the next procedure isn't so bad. x

Back