• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stricture and Dumping

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
I've been diagnosed with having a stricture which will be dilated in 3 weeks. I can manage liquids, purees and crackers and thats about it..

Just wondering if anyone else who's had a stricture has found they don't dump? The only things i've tried is ice-cream ( mr whippy ) which was lovely and a couple of ginger biscuits - i don't feel at all guilty as i can't have much else at the moment ....just wondered if the reason i didnt dump might be because it takes so long to get through? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks xx

I've not had a strictre Kat, but not everyone will dump.

Bad news for some, but that doesn't mean that if you don't dump now, you might on the same thing next month.

I've only ever dumped when I put 2 scoops of protein powder in a drink, but I haven't gone mad on trying to push my sugar intake either, but I have had the odd chochy bar and been fine.

Some dump on sugar or fat or even carbs.

I dont have a stricture and unfortunately i am one of the people who dont dump at all on anything x

I did have a stricture, twice, but I kept to a low sugar diet anyway while I was waiting for a stretch. I couldn't even have a slim fast without feeling incredibly nauseous so I wouldn't know if your dumping sensitivity is reduced because of it.

Actually i can't have slimfast either, gives me palpitations and makes me feel sick, but there's at least 26g of sugar in those and i'm guessing not all of that is milk lol... just curious to know whether the slower release of purees or thicker liquid means it goes into my intestines slower so therefore doesnt make me dump....I guess i'll find out after my stretch.

I mainly eat yoghurts, protein shakes and soup so not much sugar in those.

I have no idea, just wanted to wish you well with your stretch xxx

Thanks Julie... I'm absolutely dreading it and am more scared than i was before i had the bypass - has to be done though x

Hope it all goes well.
Can I be nosey and ask how you found out you had a stricture?
Cos I am nearly 7 weeks out and some days have trouble with almost anything yet other days don't have so many problems.
Don't think I have a stricture, think I just have a temperamental pouch...xx

Katasrophe I was the same, more scared about the stretch than the actual surgery. All I can say is ask for sedation immediately and also have the throat spray even though it makes you gag. I've had two and I won't lie, they were incredibly unpleasant but they're over within half an hour (at least mine were) and the sedation makes it easier to bare.

Scooby, I realised I had a stricture when I couldn't consistantly get anything down food wise, even sloppies. It got to the point where I was struggling to get liquids down. It just sounds like you've got a temperamental pouch, but if you're worried, talk to your team.

Hope it all goes well.
Can I be nosey and ask how you found out you had a stricture?
Cos I am nearly 7 weeks out and some days have trouble with almost anything yet other days don't have so many problems.
Don't think I have a stricture, think I just have a temperamental pouch...xx

Hi Scooby, basically if i have anthing that doesnt slide it blocks the exit from my pouch until it gets full , then it gets painful and then i'm sick as it has nowhere else to go. I had a barium meal swallow a couple of weeks ago and it was discovered then. If you're worried i would ask your team for the xray , at least then your mind will be at rest x

Katasrophe I was the same, more scared about the stretch than the actual surgery. All I can say is ask for sedation immediately and also have the throat spray even though it makes you gag. I've had two and I won't lie, they were incredibly unpleasant but they're over within half an hour (at least mine were) and the sedation makes it easier to bare.

Scooby, I realised I had a stricture when I couldn't consistantly get anything down food wise, even sloppies. It got to the point where I was struggling to get liquids down. It just sounds like you've got a temperamental pouch, but if you're worried, talk to your team.

Jaxx, i'm definately going for full sedation and anything else i can get my hands on. Pain doesnt bother me so much , i just have this fear of choking. x

Oh thats got me a bit worried cos thats kind of how I am. Ok with stuff that slips down but meat, eggs etc seem to get stuck then it hurts like hell then I puke! Mind you, some days I can manage to eat but not others. I have an appointment on monday so will tell them about it then x

I think basically because the exit is so small it takes a hell of a long time to go through - there have been days where i can eat a very small amount of fish as long as i don't have anything else for about 6 hours after - i would definately get it checked out as it does sound similar. Could be that its just a bit narrow though and will right itself :)

I had an egg this morning and although this is the first time I ate egg without being sick, I felt very uncomfortable for hours and couldn't face eating anything else until half five. I had the egg at 9am! Yep will definitely be discussing it on monday although I don't like the sound of the stretching....thanks for your advice x

You're welcome.

Hope it sorts itself out one way or another, i got to a point where i gave in a stopped trying to force solid food down - as long as you have your protein / yoghurts etc you should be ok :) x

Back