• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do all bypassers need vitamins

mad midwife

Hello all, I'm 6 months post bypass and am feeling very tired, I had my bypass privately and their aftercare has been awful, well non existent to be honest, I had one phone call from a dietician pre op, and one post op - never actually met one in the flesh! I had a diet sheet for pre and post op and that's all, I am getting so tired and see lots of people talking about all their vitamins and Vitamin b injections, I do take a multivitamin once a day but that's all, and haven't had any blood tests etc and no plans for any injections. I am reluctant to go to GP as I feel bad that I had my op privately and expect them to mop up the mess, and the op took all of our savings so no extra for blood tests etc. I am still loosing all be it slowly 5 stone 12 lbs down since October, I only really loose 1lb a week but don't think I eat enough, (600 - 700 cals a day) . So after all my waffling I guess what I'm trying to say is do all bypassers have vitamin injections tests? Or is it just if you have symptoms. Thankyou

I too had my op private but the surgeon wrote to my gp explaining what I need medical wise both vitamins and blood test to check levels of a whole host of things.

Dont feel bad about going to your gp. After all you've saved them £1000's! You need to see your gp. With such a low intake & feeling tired it sounds like you are in need of something

Yes. All bypassers need vitamins. Some choose to play russian roulette, and that's up to them, but you should be taking supplements

Yve I am not sure what I'm supposed to take as have had no guidance or follow up, I take a sanatogen complete A - Z is this enough?

I take a-z complete from asda twice a day
Calcium citrate and vit d3 twice a day
1 iron tablet everyday
And b12 injections every 2 to 3 months.

I also take 2 hair skin and nails vits but that's choice rather than necessity.

My provider just recommends, one complete vit and mineral and vit D3. Also not everyone needs b12 injections right away (and some are lucky enough never to need them), so far I haven't had to have them, and I'm well over 15 months out now.

This is my combo that I've pretty much come up with on my own. Since I've been on it, I have felt great.

Am: 1 x Pregnancy complete formula (asda) and 1 x sublingual Vit B12 (Just vitamins).
PM: 1 x Skin, Hair and Nails (asda), 1 x calcium & Vitamin D (asda) and 1 x Vitamin D3 (Vitabiotics).

Everything except the B12 I bought in asda on the 3 for £10 deal, the B12 I order online.

I have B12 injections every 3 months, vitamin D tablets, iron and also have to make sure I get enough calcium in my diet as they have had to tweak my meds so I can't take a calcium tablet.

YES

Hello all, I'm 6 months post bypass and am feeling very tired, I had my bypass privately and their aftercare has been awful, well non existent to be honest, I had one phone call from a dietician pre op, and one post op - never actually met one in the flesh! I had a diet sheet for pre and post op and that's all, I am getting so tired and see lots of people talking about all their vitamins and Vitamin b injections, I do take a multivitamin once a day but that's all, and haven't had any blood tests etc and no plans for any injections. I am reluctant to go to GP as I feel bad that I had my op privately and expect them to mop up the mess, and the op took all of our savings so no extra for blood tests etc. I am still loosing all be it slowly 5 stone 12 lbs down since October, I only really loose 1lb a week but don't think I eat enough, (600 - 700 cals a day) . So after all my waffling I guess what I'm trying to say is do all bypassers have vitamin injections tests? Or is it just if you have symptoms. Thankyou

Definitely yes.... Dr prescribes all mine, multi vitamin (forceval), calcium and b12 injections' I don't pay for the injections. Hope you've got sorted by now :)

Last edited:
I get all mine from GP - I have a pre-paid prescription thing, as I am on bp tablets as well, so I pay I think £11 a month, but then don't pay for each prescription I get.

Back