• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Vitamins - NHS Prescription

pumpkin28

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone gets their Vitamins on NHS? If yes, do you still have to pay the prescription charge as 1) they are vitamins and not as such medication and 2) according to my aftercare company, vitamins must be taken forever basically. So I am wondering if there is any chance of not paying for the prescription? (apart from unemployed, pregnant women, etc)

Thanks and hope everyone is doing A OK!:8855:

xxx

I have to pay for my post op meds too, although my multi vits are not prescribed, I take Sanatogen Complete. My surgeon said to ask the gp for 6 monthly prescriptions so I only have to pay for it twice a year.

Cuppa xx

I get working tax credits so don't currently pay for prescriptions, however as a diabetic i am going to fill in the form which gets me free prescriptions for life... Not because i anticipate being diabetic post op but because when my OH gets a job i'll have to pay for them... But i must admit i brought multi vitamins ready, i figured if the nhs could spend that amount on my operation i could stretch to a 2 for 1 on my vits in superdrug lol x

I think normally you would need to pay for the multi-vits on the NHS. However, I am excluded from having to pay as I have a 'Medical Exemption Certificate'. This is because I have an Underactive Thyroid which I have to take medication for, for the rest of my life. I have checked and the conditions are listed below if you qualify for a Medical Exemption Certificate:

Medical Exemption
People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if:
they have one of the conditions listed below; and
they hold a valid Medical Exemption Certificate.
Medical Exemption Certificates are issued on application to people who have:

A permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance

A form of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential

Diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism

Diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone

Hypoparathyroidism

Myasthenia gravis

Myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)

Epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy

A continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months

Or are undergoing treatment for cancer:
including the effects of cancer; or
the effects of current or previous cancer treatment

I hope this helps!

Steph x

I buy my own Centrum Advance A-Z and Berocca.... stock up when Boots do 3for2 offers or similar. I get Calcichew-D3 Forte tablets on prescription, which I don't pay for as exempt due to diabetes.

Won't be allowed to take Berocca post-op though so will need to find a different source of Vit C :(

Hi, i get free prescriptions due to diabetes, i am now off all my meds for this and am wondering if i am still entitled to free prescriptions ???

Hi, i get free prescriptions due to diabetes, i am now off all my meds for this and am wondering if i am still entitled to free prescriptions ???

This is something which also crosses my mind but there are some schools of thought that say diabetes is never cured by gastric surgery, it just puts it into remission. I think your GP would be the bet one to advise on this but I would be tempted to continue with free prescriptions unless told otherwise ;)

My Medical Exemption Card runs for 5 years (due to expire in a few months); so until you need to renew it I would consider yourself covered. I would mention it to your doctor if your concerned about it though.

Steph x

I get Centrum on prescription. Sanatogen is not allowed to be prescribed - Forceval is also available on precription

I don't pay for my prescriptions because I have an underactive thyroid after partial removal.

I'm also diabetic which may have resolved - but I was told that they don't know if WLS is a "cure" for diabetes as it's such a relatively new procedure!!

So I would think a presription exemption may still cover you

Angela

I got prescribed forceval on leaving hospital, and have been taking them (24 Vitamins and supliments in each capsule), but I have bought some Centrum, as they are on offer in tesco, and you get 27 Vitamins and supliments in those.

Hi apart from the sanotagean i buy from Tescos or where ever i can get it from:) I get all the rest on my presrciptions cause i also have a underactive thyroid so get free prescriptions. Good luck tho:)

Sharon xx

Back