• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do any bandits out there regret having it done?

Beebs

Not to dwell on the negative... (though it's after 2.30am and I find myself often having negative thoughts about this at silly hours of the morning) but would really appreciate some honest opinions. Do any post-oppers regret having the surgery? Am wondering if there such a thing as doing too much reading into something... I have read so much about how the soreness from surgery gives you restriction, then your hunger returns & you need to be patient and keep having fills until you find the right level of restriction for you - I like to be prepared! But then I keep reading from those a few years down the line who are experiencing tightness of the band or having de-fills for various reasons, leading to weight gain. After all the experiences I've read, am now thinking I am going to voluntarily doom myself to a lifetime of discomfort / worry or uncertainty about the band remaining in place & intact / being unsure whether what I eat is going to stay down... especially in social situations. Will i lose all pleasure from going out to restaurants or dinner parties with friends? Sorry for the negative thoughts guys. Like I said it is the witching hour so my thoughts are all over the place, but my wobbles are becoming more frequent in the lead up to surgery (Jan 7th - if I go through with it!!)

Last edited:
What is wrong with me? I am getting freaked out at the thought of having this alien thing in my body... I really don't think I am getting my head around this at all. I think the fact I'm on my pre-op diet at the moment has made it all so real. Am wondering if it's too late to change my mind... I paid for the surgery last Weds 21st and was told I'd have a 7-day cooling off period but reckon I've gone just over that so it's too late now, but might phone THG anyway to discuss. Sorry again for all this but the thought of having a band is really messing with my emotions.

Hi hun sorry carnt really help as I'm pre op but I've read many post n wot ur goin threw seems the norm just before surgery then when it's all dun n ur healed n well peeps never look bk ;) x good luck Hun x

Try not to worry. I am sure many people who have weight loss surgery have similar concerns pre-op. I certainly did! But in all honesty I am over the moon with the fact that I had my band fitted and the effect it has had on me and my life. Surgery is not 100% guaranteed to be the answer and it does need you to work with it to get the best results ... but nothing in life, apart from death, is guaranteed anyway.

Personally, I cannot feel the band or the port - unless I really arch my back and I can feel the port way under my skin.

Six tiny little scars (I have an extra one as they repaired a hernia they found at the same time as fitting the banding) - 4 faded to almost nothing after 6 months and two faint lines for the other 1 inch long ones.

You may get trapped wind from the surgery (but I didnt) - take something similar to windeze tablets or peppermint cordial/tea. Otherwise I have no pain whatsoever.

It is right that for a few weeks the internal swelling from the surgery causes some restriction, but that is why the first fill is generally delayed for 6-8 weeks post surgery to give the swelling a chance to reduce. You will get hungrier as the fat around your stomach reduces and the band becomes less tight, so if you keep an eye on what you are consuming (calories/protein etc) the weight loss should continue despite the band not helping you as much as it could do.

Best to be prepared and patient - the fills do help (but maybe not to begin with) - and small fills will hopefully avoid you being over-restricted. You do need to eat more slowly and chew (but I am sure most of us should have been doing that even if we didnt have a band). The slower eating will allow your body to decide when it is full and the chewing should help ensure nothing gets stuck.

Eating out - the band doesnt stop me - I eat out generally 3-4 times per week (7 times out in Christmas week)! I still really love my food, but the pleasure is now in choosing smaller quantities of good quality food and really savouring the experience rather than thinking a good meal is one of vast quantity and coming away stuffed like a Christmas turkey! Since July when I had the op with THG - I have lost weigh every week apart from one when I stayed the same.

All providers are different when it comes to what they say you can consume post-op - however it is important to follow their guidelines closely to protect your body. What foods individuals can consume also varies - for me, my problem foods are bread, tuna fish and steak (where they do have a tendancy to stick) - but otherwise even pasta and rice in small quantities are fine.

There may be people who the band hasnt worked for. But for me, change was definitely a good thing. 6 months, 6 stones gone. Size 24/26 to size 16. Best of all though, feeling happier and healthier and looking forward to 2012.

Hope 2012 brings you what you are looking for. Keep us updated xxx

Hello Beebs. I am just over a year post op. Unlike you I did not have a choice about whether to have the band. A year down the line and I have no regrets. I will not sugar coat it. It is hard. Like any wls, it is a tool. You have to do all the work so that it works for you. That includes making some real life style changes - looking at what you eat, exercise etc. It can take a time to get the right restriction and there can be issues that lead to a defill but overall you can get good results if you put in the effort. Read some of the posts from successful banders like Mazza, Neen and Blue Diamond.

At the end of the day it is your choice and your money so make sure it is the right thing for you before you start spending your hard earned cash.

All the best

tranquil x

Well said ladies!! It's fab and I wouldn't rewind the clock! Early days for me but to still be losing weight every week is fab, but your head does need to be in the right place to make healthier choices though! I've put on 2lb over Xmas which proves you need to watch what you eat or in my case drink...oops but im back working to get that off before my weekly weigh in!! I had a wobble a week after having band fitted and wondered what the hell I had done but the weight loss soon spurred me on! You will be fine! Just think of the new you because for the first time ever I believe I will get down to a size 10/12!! X

Hi there.

My only regret was I didn't have it done sooner. Even with the first hiccup of the first 5 months ( my port had over turned so I couldn't have my first fill till Nov 2010 ( op was in July 2010) and had correction surgery ( port was re sighted) - all in all I went from a size 24/26 (17st 2lbs) to what I am now 10-12 (9st 10lbs) in less then one year ( I reached my goal In September 2010 total loss of 106lbs in 10 months - for me this was quite an achievement considering the rocky start I had and I am quite happily maintaining at the weight I am.

Even when I had my port over turned I never thought "oh I wished I hadn't had it done" I just thought "why me" but 10 months later its a whole new ball game.

I am not saying its easy food wise but its all about the choices you make, there are some foods that I cannot tolerate any more, rice, bread, pasta, eggs, some veggies etc, but everybody is different I can manage all meats ( accepted sliced ham ) and yet other people cannot, you have to find your own safe haven and work with your band and let the band work for you, always follow your providers rule and listen to your body.

Its natural to have worries about any pending surgery especially one that is going to change to way you eat for life, especially when you have eaten in a way for such a long time and it really does change over night - BUT for the better.

There are lots and lots of people on here that have gone through the same phases that your going through again its only natural coz it is a life changing decision. I often say to myself " gosh imagine how much bigger , unhealthier I would be now if I had not had have this surgery, I was asthmatic , fatty livers, borderline diabetic, high bp, high cholesterol, back / hip pain.

I am just very extremely grateful that the Nhs took a chance on me, good luck in what you decide - and remember there is a shoulder/listening ear on this site is never too far away - all the best - Me Julie xx ( sorry too waffle on x)

No not waffle , all really useful stuff so thank you everyone.. I was literally lying in bed crying about this and feeling doomed (unusual for me as I rarely cry!) but in the day time, things don't seem so bad. My persistent worry is the discomfort / vomiting / worries that come from having something foreign inside your body, i realise that might sound strange but reading stories about ports that go AWOL or having expensive issues a few year down the line (that the NHS won't necessarily be able to help with) really freak me out. I guess I am not a big risk taker and feel this might be too big a risk for me. To be honest I am torn but know only i can decide how best to proceed. I have spoken to THG about cancelling and they are going to call me back, my patient care co ordinator mentioned putting me in touch with someone who has had the surgery, which may not be a bad idea. I guess in some way i want someone to say 'don't worry it is all going to be alright' but am very aware there is no such guarantee available! #sigh# Thank you again for all your kind advice and input , it has been really appreciated x

Last edited:
Hope you pluck up the courage to go ahead it....I'm pretty certain you wouldnt regret it :) xx

Thanks to all for your kind responses. Unfortunately I was unable to come to terms with the thought of surgery and cancelled the op, with view to looking at the possibility further down the line. However, I've found your experiences very inspirational and definitely hope to be on the losers' bench in 2012, whether or not that involves WLS xxx

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your kind responses. Unfortunately I was unable to come to terms with the thought of surgery and cancelled the op, with view to looking at the possibility further down the line. However, I've found your experiences very inspirational and definitely hope to be on the losers' bench in 2012, whether or not that involves WLS xxx

Wishing you all the best in 2012 what ever you decide - Julie xx

Try not to worry. I am sure many people who have weight loss surgery have similar concerns pre-op. I certainly did! But in all honesty I am over the moon with the fact that I had my band fitted and the effect it has had on me and my life. Surgery is not 100% guaranteed to be the answer and it does need you to work with it to get the best results ... but nothing in life, apart from death, is guaranteed anyway.

Personally, I cannot feel the band or the port - unless I really arch my back and I can feel the port way under my skin.

Six tiny little scars (I have an extra one as they repaired a hernia they found at the same time as fitting the banding) - 4 faded to almost nothing after 6 months and two faint lines for the other 1 inch long ones.

You may get trapped wind from the surgery (but I didnt) - take something similar to windeze tablets or peppermint cordial/tea. Otherwise I have no pain whatsoever.

It is right that for a few weeks the internal swelling from the surgery causes some restriction, but that is why the first fill is generally delayed for 6-8 weeks post surgery to give the swelling a chance to reduce. You will get hungrier as the fat around your stomach reduces and the band becomes less tight, so if you keep an eye on what you are consuming (calories/protein etc) the weight loss should continue despite the band not helping you as much as it could do.

Best to be prepared and patient - the fills do help (but maybe not to begin with) - and small fills will hopefully avoid you being over-restricted. You do need to eat more slowly and chew (but I am sure most of us should have been doing that even if we didnt have a band). The slower eating will allow your body to decide when it is full and the chewing should help ensure nothing gets stuck.

Eating out - the band doesnt stop me - I eat out generally 3-4 times per week (7 times out in Christmas week)! I still really love my food, but the pleasure is now in choosing smaller quantities of good quality food and really savouring the experience rather than thinking a good meal is one of vast quantity and coming away stuffed like a Christmas turkey! Since July when I had the op with THG - I have lost weigh every week apart from one when I stayed the same.

All providers are different when it comes to what they say you can consume post-op - however it is important to follow their guidelines closely to protect your body. What foods individuals can consume also varies - for me, my problem foods are bread, tuna fish and steak (where they do have a tendancy to stick) - but otherwise even pasta and rice in small quantities are fine.

There may be people who the band hasnt worked for. But for me, change was definitely a good thing. 6 months, 6 stones gone. Size 24/26 to size 16. Best of all though, feeling happier and healthier and looking forward to 2012.

Hope 2012 brings you what you are looking for. Keep us updated xxx

you have done fantastic and this post is great for newbies like me. your starting BMI is similar to mine so i will take on what you have said and hopefully can do as well as you have :)

Thank you. I have gone from size 24/26 to 12 ... Just at end of my holidays and I reckon I have put on about five pounds making me look a lot healthier :) image.jpg

Omg you have done so well am coming close to my op and now and then start getting worried but read stories like this makes me realise I am doing the best thing for me thank you

I had all the same worries, and I did cancel once because it was all going too fast. I also had issues with the idea of it inside me. But I really thought about it and researched it and went ahead.

I can't wait for it to do its job!

Try not to worry. I am sure many people who have weight loss surgery have similar concerns pre-op. I certainly did! But in all honesty I am over the moon with the fact that I had my band fitted and the effect it has had on me and my life. Surgery is not 100% guaranteed to be the answer and it does need you to work with it to get the best results ... but nothing in life, apart from death, is guaranteed anyway. Personally, I cannot feel the band or the port - unless I really arch my back and I can feel the port way under my skin. Six tiny little scars (I have an extra one as they repaired a hernia they found at the same time as fitting the banding) - 4 faded to almost nothing after 6 months and two faint lines for the other 1 inch long ones. You may get trapped wind from the surgery (but I didnt) - take something similar to windeze tablets or peppermint cordial/tea. Otherwise I have no pain whatsoever. It is right that for a few weeks the internal swelling from the surgery causes some restriction, but that is why the first fill is generally delayed for 6-8 weeks post surgery to give the swelling a chance to reduce. You will get hungrier as the fat around your stomach reduces and the band becomes less tight, so if you keep an eye on what you are consuming (calories/protein etc) the weight loss should continue despite the band not helping you as much as it could do. Best to be prepared and patient - the fills do help (but maybe not to begin with) - and small fills will hopefully avoid you being over-restricted. You do need to eat more slowly and chew (but I am sure most of us should have been doing that even if we didnt have a band). The slower eating will allow your body to decide when it is full and the chewing should help ensure nothing gets stuck. Eating out - the band doesnt stop me - I eat out generally 3-4 times per week (7 times out in Christmas week)! I still really love my food, but the pleasure is now in choosing smaller quantities of good quality food and really savouring the experience rather than thinking a good meal is one of vast quantity and coming away stuffed like a Christmas turkey! Since July when I had the op with THG - I have lost weigh every week apart from one when I stayed the same. All providers are different when it comes to what they say you can consume post-op - however it is important to follow their guidelines closely to protect your body. What foods individuals can consume also varies - for me, my problem foods are bread, tuna fish and steak (where they do have a tendancy to stick) - but otherwise even pasta and rice in small quantities are fine. There may be people who the band hasnt worked for. But for me, change was definitely a good thing. 6 months, 6 stones gone. Size 24/26 to size 16. Best of all though, feeling happier and healthier and looking forward to 2012. Hope 2012 brings you what you are looking for. Keep us updated xxx

What a helpful and informative post. Thank you. X

great stories guys and now that i am banded even though its so early on i dont regret it for a second! x

Back