• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you think I'm too old to do this at 54?

I have several medical complaints due to my weight and I have 7 young grandchildren that are very hard work as I just find it so hard when any of them get dropped off to be babysat. I wish I could do more and enjoy them more which is why I want to do this. I really want to see them all grow up! I'm still waiting to attend my first appointment or seminar which they said should be January ( mid yorks trust) I currently weigh 21st 9 down From 22st 7 mid Sept when GP offered me WLS.
I am 55 now I go to have my operation of gastic bypass next wen 30th give your self a new life, good luck in what you choose.
BBB

Definitely definitely definitely NOT too old :)

I was 52 and so was my BMI! I'm now 54 and the BMI is down to 35. all I need to do now is find a way to reverse the ageing process :)
You go for it and don't let age get in the way of ANYTHING!!!

My dad was 68 when he had his, he's now 70 and doing things he hasn't done for years and enjoying his life to the full. I'm following in his footsteps and having my bypass on 31/10 so you only live once and it's never too late to make a change xx

You're getting very near your date now. All the very best if luck to you. X

I'm 53 in December and I'm hoping to have mine done by then. A gift to myself! I honestly believe that if I do not have the procedure that I will not be around to make old bones! Age is a state of mind I think. Good luck sweetie. X

Thank you all for your lovely messages, this site is fab. Chappers, I feel I won't get old without it too. MazRob, you must be so excited right now! Good luck to you and everyone xxx

Hi Leda, I had bypass surgery 5 wks ago...lm 60... now going on 35!! I now walk 3 miles a day and love my job working full time doing on average 12 hrs a day 5 days a wk. I went back to work after 2 wks because l wanted to..l felt so well. Ive now lost 2 st. Its now a pleasure to get out of bed in the morning!

Oh well done! That's what I'm looking forward to most, to have energy and enjoy the rest of my life. I can't wait to be able to walk more than just round the supermarket! Lol . All the best to you on your new life! :D

elo leda.im just going for my second clinic appointment mid November.i am 56.this I a great site and good advice.you take care

I hope not I'm 55 and a few health problems but praying that I get my bypass on 26 TH Nov , just keep chipping away at the system x

Thanks a lot everyone. Well 26 nov is my first appointment with a consultant at weight loss management. I'll see what she has to say. All the best for your op! Xx

My mum had her sleeve done privately and the date came to do it 2 weeks before her 60th. Shes a year and a bit out now over 10 stone down and running around like a nutter :) i had mine a year later and the only difference is being 20 years younger i seemd to recover a tad quicker. within 6 weeks she was flying :)

Well I'm coming up to 55 and will probably be nearer 56 when it's done but I can't wait to be 10 stone down cos if that happens I will def be running round like a nutter too! Haha

hi I am 56 and have many health issues which included joint problems I used two sticks and lots of medication......forward five months and I am able to walk approx. 4 miles a day I have no sticks !! but still some joint supports, I look 10 years younger and have a new zest for life I dress totally differently at the moment I am a size 16 down from size 22.
Go for it ....I would never change a thing x

I work in a local nhs hospital that does the bariatric surgery and have seen patients come through for the operation in there let 60's. So i would definately say go for it

Oh wrighty that's brilliant! I've built up walking for 5 mins to 30 in the last 6 months but 4 miles? Well done :) x

There is no way you are too old at 54! I am almost 51 and I'll be having a gastric band fitted on the 25th of April, my only regret at the moment is that I never had the courage to do it 10 year ago, as my last ten years have been spent fighting a losing battle to the point my health, like yours, is being affected. My G.P is supporting me, however I'm funding the op myself, she knows the struggle I've had and all the many, and varied 'diets' I've been on, not to mention the money I've spent! So worry not Leda, have the op, enjoy your grandkids and the rest of your life. x

Back