• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you wear a Medi Alert Bracelet?

i was told i didn't need a braclet but was given a medi alert card. it's about the same size as a credit card and just has my details on it with date of op and surgeons contact details on it. not sure in an emergency that it would be picked up on though!!

Thanks liz! this old brain of mine does function at times lol.
I was also given a medi alert card like tammy to carry around with me, but I feel that the medi alert braclet would be easier to have on you at all times.

i agree as the braclet can be seen sooner in an emergency, paramedics are not mind readers and dont know instantly when time is the thing to save lives at least a medi bracelet is instantly visual to them a medi card isnt.

Hi,

I wear a bracelet which says my name, RNY Gastric Bypass, No NSAID's, No Blind NG tube and no sugar.

Having worked in A&E depts before these things are looked for by the paramedics and nursing staff/docs...far easier to see than looking through someones purse to contact someone after initial treatment is given, and then finding a card with the same details on! Well thats the way I see it anyway. And what if u dont have your belongings with you at the time of an emergency?....

I think they are a great idea, incase of an emergency, it may just stop some doc popping my stomach with an NG tube, and decrease my risk of ulcers from the Nsaids! The no sugar bit coz of dumping! I need a new 1 which says lactose intolerant now....lol

They are a personal choice, I just choose to wear 1 as I think they are a better idea than just a card in my purse.

Kel xx

I think they are a brilliant idea & as long as the info is correct, can't do any harm can they? (& hey any excuse for a bit of jewellery is good enough for me!! rofl)
xxxxxxxxxxx

I got a nice medi alert bracelet from "IceGems". They had some nice stuff and I'm pleased with the quality of the engraving as well. You can google them if you are interested - found them reasonable on price.:)

Hi
I want to get one due to my severe reaction to beta blockers as I found out at my op. Also I like silver shoes wording.

There are some lovely ones esp on ice gems but do the medical staff notice and check ALL bracelets even if they dont look like a traditional type medi bracelet ??

xx

I wear dog tag's, I have done for years. Of course they dont say "sleap apnia" and "Diabetic" anymore :) Just has my details on and gastric bypass with hospital number and surgeons name. Hey you never know, I'm traveling to America in October I would rather have them just in case........

sorry to ask What are No NSAID's, No Blind NG tube . Are these just personal to silver shoes or all bypassers Just looking at getting a braclet

Thanx

NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories i.e. eg aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, indometacin, diclofenac and ketoprofen.

A blind tube is endoscopy (a tube) into the stomach without a camera. If the doctor is unaare of a bypass, a blind tube could cause extensive damage.

I have a medic-alert bracelet: http://www.medicalert.org/Home/homegradient.aspx.

I wear it always. It has the toll free number of medic-alert and my ID# (they assign you one) on it. So, if a situation arises where I can't talk, it talks for me. I’ve been to the ER twice and both times the nurses told me they do not go through people’s wallets/purses to find cards (even so, I carry one) -- they don’t have the time during an emergency situation and the jewelry is the best way to go.

The ER doctors warned me that if I ever need emergency surgery in my abdomen and they weren’t able to know I had a DS it could be a lot more confusing for then.

With medic-alert, you fill out all the things you want in your file (either by phone with a medic-alert operator or online) & the ER will call the medic-alert operator & get all your information. In my file is:

· my PCP's name & number
· surgeon's name & number
· family contacts, etc.
· list of vits/minerals/meds I take
· medical conditions
· blood type, etc.
· date the DS was performed

Finally, on the bracelet itself you can have something engraved. Since I take so many vits/minerals it was impossible to list them all. So it just says, "Medications taken." However, I also had engraved, "Duodenal Switch performed 4/11/05" as I wanted that to be very prominent if I was unconscious.

NSAIDs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatories i.e. eg aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, indometacin, diclofenac and ketoprofen.

A blind tube is endoscopy (a tube) into the stomach without a camera. If the doctor is unaare of a bypass, a blind tube could cause extensive damage.

Thats great thanx very much Ang

Back