• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Doctors approval??

Shabbs12

Hi everyone, haven't had my band yet, due to have it done on the 10th of October which i was VERY excited about until today...
Went to get doctors approval even though I'm going privately and he was kinda putting me off I am 10 stone overweight and have a bmi of 48.
He said you need a lot of motivation so really think about it...but I'm confused the whole reason I am resulting to surgery is because I physical need something to help me as I have no motivation, I do understand that I have to work with the band just feel really negative now and like I should try something else ;,( x

I had exactly the same. Very disheartened I went back to clear the air with my G.P a couple of days later and he saw (my) light. Post - op he was over the moon, as indeed I am. I had my surgery for me, not to please anyone else :D

Shabbs, some doctors dont agree with wls, however from what you have said below it appears he was just trying to make you really aware that with the band, to achieve the best results you do need to be motivated and focussed to lose weight by working with it. 30% of the success is the band and 70% comes from within! After your consultants appointment and discussing the pros and cons, did you believe it was the right procedure for you given your eating habits and behaviours? The band can be a really fantastic tool ... But it's also very easy to cheat, if you choose too :D

flutterby1966 said:
Shabbs, some doctors dont agree with wls, however from what you have said below it appears he was just trying to make you really aware that with the band, to achieve the best results you do need to be motivated and focussed to lose weight by working with it. 30% of the success is the band and 70% comes from within! After your consultants appointment and discussing the pros and cons, did you believe it was the right procedure for you given your eating habits and behaviours? The band can be a really fantastic tool ... But it's also very easy to cheat, if you choose too :D

Hi ;) the thing is I have no motivation ;( so I need something to help me so I feel like if I had a little tool then this motivate me, I don't want to be able to cheat on it? X

Hi ;) the thing is I have no motivation ;( so I need something to help me so I feel like if I had a little tool then this motivate me, I don't want to be able to cheat on it? X

Have you discussed other WLS options with your provider, to see if something else would be more suitable for you? Don't know what research you have done into alternatives, but this site is an excellent starting point.

emmten said:
Have you discussed other WLS options with your provider, to see if something else would be more suitable for you? Don't know what research you have done into alternatives, but this site is an excellent starting point.

Hi ;) everything else scares me lol X

Yes, they are all scary. Everyone has to come to their own conclusions about what is best for them given what they understand about themselves and the various treatment options. They also have to take into account the risks of doing nothing, ie. succumbing to obesity related illness. Equally scary!

emmten said:
Yes, they are all scary. Everyone has to come to their own conclusions about what is best for them given what they understand about themselves and the various treatment options. They also have to take into account the risks of doing nothing, ie. succumbing to obesity related illness. Equally scary!

Just don't know what to do anymore I feel so lost and alone in the way that I am feeling I just don't know ;(

I'm sure this forum will help you get where you need to go. There is a wealth of experience here and people are always happy to answer questions. There is a also lot of existing info here about the band and living with it, I hope you find what you're looking for.

Best of luck.

Awww shabbs please dont feel alone or disheartened. I actually think i can see where the dr is coming from let me explain it to you in my own way.

I was told band is good for not too much loss although there are some on here who have done fantastic with it.

The bypass route is more effective for those who need to loose lots and the dumping syndrome that comes with the bypass route is a great deterrent for stopping any cheating lol.

Members on here are really not trying to put you off in the least and will stand by you and support you which ever route you decide to take which in my eyes is a massive tool in supporting you for any of the procedures which the drs and professionals dont have the time to give you so please dont thing anyone is trying to put you off. Ok ramble over lol. Good luck whatever you decide. xxx

have you thought about the gastric sleeve hun? its a great midway op between band and bypass/i had mine done 5 mths ago and had little or no pain after op .for me its been plain sailing..good luck with whatever you choose.xx

I'd decided on a band when I first went down the route of weight loss surgery. Probably because it was the most publicized at the time. After finding out at a group seminar about all different options I realised that the reason that I have been fat and unhealthy for all of my adult life and yo yo dieted over the years is because I don't have any will power. Even the motivation of losing weight to have a much wanted baby failed me. I don't think for me that a band would have worked as I think you need will power in bucket loads. I went the bypass route and it has taken away all these problems because I can't eat the things that will pile the weight back on because if I do I feel sick for the rest of the day or dump. I do sneak in the odd bag of crisps and biscuits but I know that without my bypass I would be scoffing all the sweet, fatty things that I've always craved.

Different procedures suit different people and their particular eating habits. I was and still am a grazer which is better for a bypass than a band. Check out all the different sections on the forum and read up on all the different ops available and look at other peoples views and success rates for each. It might be worth it in the long run to save a bit longer for the op that will do you the most good than rushing in and choosing the wrong one.

The band is a brilliant tool for losing weight if it's the tool that suits you. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Hey ladies Thanks for replies.. I am feeling very positive now and can't wait for my Band, only a couple of weeks away ;D X

Shabbs, I know how you feel. I want to have it done, I am looking into it and I feel that it is the best way forward for me, but at the same time I feel sort of scared/apprehensive. It is weird, how can one look forward to something, be hopeful that something will happen (and that it will work) but at the same time feel so apprehensive? It is all so confusing.

Hanako said:
Shabbs, I know how you feel. I want to have it done, I am looking into it and I feel that it is the best way forward for me, but at the same time I feel sort of scared/apprehensive. It is weird, how can one look forward to something, be hopeful that something will happen (and that it will work) but at the same time feel so apprehensive? It is all so confusing.

Hi Hanako, it is a very hard/confusing situation to be in but trust me as you go to open evenings meet consultants and do lots if research it will become more clearly...i have seen a lot of negative comments relating to the band but what I realised is that it is a tool rather then another quick fix and I need this tool to help me in my journey!
Keep me posted on your decisions X

Back