• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric band

tinkywinky

SOOO HAPPY to be a loser!
Hello. I am new. Please help.

i want to get a gastric band but am confused as so many companies offer them. I was going for dolan park with Hospital group but then read negative feedback about aftercare. Other one considering is shire parkway, solihull. have any of you been to these places and how did you find them? Scared as costs lots of money not to get it right!!

Hiya Tinky where in Herts are you as IM in WGC.....i had my surgery in North London only 3 weeks ago and it was great. why have you been looking north?

Thanks for reply
When I looked on net and spoke to companies thats where the surgery is carried out. Who did you use,what cost and how was it and would you recommend them. I'm in ware by the way.

Blimey your close to me then :)

I researched for over a year and went with the Weigh Loss Surgery Group as they have such a fab reputation and the surgeon I wanted works for them and is top-notch.
I had my surgery done in North London at The Highgate Hospital and with the very important full 2 year aftercare package and no other fees it was £6995 but they do other packages. Some companies charge up-to £150 a fill or De-fill and this mounts up very quickly especially over a 2 year period....at WLSG with the full package you get unlimited fills and de-fill in those 2 years along with everything else they provide.

I have recommended them to everyone who asks as I had first class care they were and still are treating me so well. I have yet to find anyone with a bad word to say about them and plenty of people who have had surgery elsewhere now use the WLSG aftercare only package when they have had surgery elsewhere with out an aftercare package or felt really let down by the aftercare they have recieved.

Mazza had here surgery with them only a few days ago and is really pleased with how it went too.

I had mine done at Dolan Park and was really pleased with them, the basic package was £5,500 for a BMI under 45 it is 500 pounds cheaper. I get aftercare on NHS though - although not fills and these cost £125 a pop. It is easier for me to afford when they come up though. The doc who did the follow up xray and fill said I shouldn't need another fill for a few months - hope he's right as since I had the op. which cleared us out completely, our computer broke completely (after years of my son cannibalising other computers to fit in our 1996 (!) computer to upgrade it), my dog (Alsation) got a bone trapped over the roof of his mouth and had to have op to remove it. Then the washing machine broke last week! (moral to the story, keep a bit in reserve if poss!)

Good luck to you whatever you decide, as I said I was v. happy with Dolan Pk - nurses were lovely, Surgeon great, room had automatic bed.

I am with healthier weight. They are not the cheapest but they have excellent aftercare package for life. I go in today to Spire Parkway in Solihull. I will let you know how I get on. ALthough I have been there for other ops before and they are great as a hospital.

I had my surgery at Dolan Park on the cheap WGA package and then got a years aftercare package with WLS Group. Wasn't overly impressed by Dolan Park - felt like a conveyor belt! Love Love Love WLS Group and wish I'd found out about them pre-op. I also have unlimited fills in my package which is a good job cos so far since I joined them in September, i've had my band adjusted about 12 times!! If that had been on a pay as you go package, I would have paid out an extra £1500 by now!!

For me, apart from the obvious money saving, the main difference between dolan park and WLS Group is that I felt like a number at dolan park, and I feel like family at WLS Group.

Hope that helps xx

Mine is with Proff Ammouri at Spire Manchester next Saturday.
The advice I was given was to research your Surgeon and Anaethetist as they are the hands you are putting your life in not the companys.
I live in Liverpool and could have had my surgery done near my home but thought its worth the travel for a reputable surgeon.

Hi Tinkywinky!

As Wanda said I had my band fitted through the WLS Group as well. From first appointment through to op in around a month but could of been a lot sooner (I was away with work alot!).

The prices do vary through them depending where you have the surgery and which aftercare package you go for.

I went for the full package but because I live in the Midlands and they do not operate here I chose to travel to Preston. The hospital at Preston is lovely, open countryside all round, peacocks in the garden but very close to the M6. Also because it is such a small hospital the overheads are low, therefore the surgery there is cheaper £5950.

Me and my OH stayed in the Ibis, just over the roundabout which cost £70 for 2 nights (second night just for him!).

Since I have been home I have had a call from Coleen (nutrionist) to check how I am getting on. You are given mobiles free phone numbers etc and can phone them whenever you need to, there is also a 24 hour emergency number.

As Wanda said you get all of your fills de fills for 2 years in with the aftercare package.

Anything else you want to know, ask away!

Good luck

Maz x

I agree Baby Jayne...I researched my surgeons first and when I decided on Proffesor Hakim I was then very pleased when I researched the company he did private work for and went with them. As you say you put your life in there hands and I wanted an experienced surgeon who knew his way around what he was doing and that he was well respected in the medical community. He along with WLSG have been the best for me and with a jorney time to and from the hospital of only 1/2 an hour it was perfect.....also agree with what Alice said about fills...in my view (following my extensive research) its very worth while paying for the best aftercare package you can afford, as she said with the fills she has had so far to have had them done and payed for them individually would have cost her £1500+ and that bumps up the cost of the surgery a lot....not to mention to comfort of having a proffessional at the other end of the phone day and night when your home after surgery to advise you if your feeling lost or confused.

Its also worth factoring in travel and hotel costs when your looking at surgery as you are not allowed to drive for quite a few days after surgery and they wont discarge you on your own you need to have someone with you the first night at home/ in a hotel after discharge....the pain i was in there was no way I cold have faced the journey from Dolan Prk or Solihull the day after surgery believe me lol

Back