• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Ive got PCT approval, what now?

mandym1

Ive just been told I have had approval from my PCT. What happens now?
I have asked for a grastric band but see a lot of people on here say bypass is better. What is the recovery period after each procedure?
How long does it normally take to have surgery?
I'm very nervous but this is something I have to do as my health is suffering and diets just dont work.

Last edited:
Hi Mandy, welcome to Mini's, you are in the right place for help and advice - there are a lot of clever people that will know the answers to your questions.

I had to go private and I chose the band for a number of reasons and I'm really pleased with it so far.

Best of luck x

Thanks Jenni. I see you are doing well how did long did it take you to recover from the operation?

Last edited:
Hi Mandy, your eating habits will determine whats best for you. If you are a picker and like the sweet stuff and fatty stuff then the bypass would suit you better. Having a bypass will help you to stop eating the sweet/fatty stuff because if you eat this type then you will dump (be sick and feel rough). If like me you are a volume eater because you have really big portions, then a band will suit you better as the band restricts the amount you can eat so reduces portion size.The band also needs a lot of will power too as you can cheat the band with bad foods such as chocolate etc. Be honest with yourself and talk to the surgeon about your eating habits and he will advise you which he thinks would be the better option.good luck on you wls journey and let us know how you get on. xxxGaynorxxx

Thanks Jenni. I see you are doing well how did long did it take you to recover from the operation?

Well, I felt like I'd been runover by a heavy spiky think for about 3 days but gradually felt better. Worst thing was pain in my shoulder from trapped wind. Was up and running properly in about 10 days or so. X

I don't think it's as simple as picker/sweet & fat eater = bypass, volume = band, there is an awful lot more to it than that.

The best way to approach the decision is to research the 2 procedures extensively, looking for non-biased information, and then discuss your eating habits and willpower levels with the surgeon honestly who can then advise you on what is right for you.

I had a bypass and was back at work after 2 1/2 weeks.

Worst thing was pain in my shoulder from trapped wind.

I suffer from frozen shoulder so have pain daily in my shoulder, so the trapped wind will be a breeze (if you'll excuse the pun!!)

:welcome2:to minis Mandy - i have not had my op yet but hoping it will be soon. There are A LOT of very experienced bypassers and banders on this forum site and they are very knowledgeable about lots of different aspects of WLS.

My advice to you would be to read through some of the blogs from people who have already had this surgery - you will find this in the left hand margin under mood just click and your away. I did this and alot of my questions were answered and alot of my fears concerning the surgery and after the op were also sorted out. Read everything you can on WLS so you are truly prepared for what is a huge decision to make.

Looking forward to getting to know you better and seeing you succeed with your weight loss:party0011:

I too applied for a band. I got approval in january and had my first appointment with the hospital last week. they said i wa 6 months away from surgery so about 10 months in all i reckon, but i think it depends on the hospital. i was referred to luton.

when i was there they said they prefer to do the bypass than the band as it has a higher success rate and already mentioned people can cheat on the band. They told me that although the mortality rates a quite different, the surgeons say very little tends to go wrong with the bypass vs the band. i wanted a band for the same reasons i never got a tattoo, it's just sooo drastic and permenant. to me the band seems a little safer, although it seems the surgeons disagree.

personally i think by the time i have put myself through surgery, i couldn't bring myself to cheat. it's too serious!

well i think i've probably confused you enough. sorry!!

Good luck hun.

My best advice is to complete a food diary for a couple of weeks before your appointment - be totally honest. Discuss your eating habits with your surgeon. Many people fear the bypass and so push for the band but the reality with the band is that living with it is hard, lots of willpower is needed, band weight loss is slow and this can be disheartening. Some PCTs refuse to fund the band these days as its failure rate is so high and many people end up being converted to a bypass.

Check your surgeons experience and credentials, check the aftercare - these are just so important.

Its important to get it right first time round, I didn't, and I feel worse now about my weight than I ever did before I had my band. My (NHS) band was not fitted right, but the reality of living with it was so hard - it is very easy to cheat, and despite thinking you might have the willpower to see it through, it is just not that simple. Of course, for many people the band works - just make sure that you explore every avenue.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone, lots to think about.

I am in Merseyside does anyone knows anything about waiting times in my area?

Mandy I'm in Wirral, which PCT are you under?

Here, once you've got funding it's about 6 months under Spire Macclesfield. There are set timeframes for when you have to be seen by and when the surgery has to be done by as part of the contract with Spire.

Liverpool PCT. I think they lost my information as I was referred about 8 months ago.. my GP chased it up as she has had another patient approved within 2 months and couldnt believe I had heard nothing. I'm just pleased something is finally moving.

Do you know which hospital they use in Liverpool?

No I dont know any details yet, only that Ive been approved and my Doctor has written to the Surgeon. I have asked for a copy of the letter to be sent to me as I seem to be getting left out of the loop. I only found out I had been approved because I called and asked my Doctors receptionist to check if anything had come back. Hopefully the letter will arrive home today and I can get more information off that.

Very confused now!! As I cant get an appointement to see my Doctor for 2 weeks! I asked that they send me a copy of the letter they had sent to what I assumed to be the surgeon, is that the next step?

Anyway I have the letter and it has been sent to a Professer at an Endochrinology & Diabetes Department. (I have PCOS, but not diabetes). It says I meet with local and national guidelines for assessment for expert weight management and have been approved for extra contractual treatment for this problem.

Can anyone tell me could this be the surgeon or is there another step before seeing the surgeon...? its very frustrating that I cant see my Doctor until 26th and cant find anything out on the net.

This is normally another step before seeing the surgeon, and quite common. Don't worry, these things take time and unfortunately it's just a waiting game.

Good luck with the decision making Mandy it is hard but like shell says research research research and then make your decision
Others cant make decisions for us, they can give us great advice and thats what you will find on this site lots of informed, experience people, who with the research will be able to help you make an informed choice

Jay xx

I guess I'm just annoyed with myself for not chasing this up sooner.. oh well at least I'm fiinally heading in the right direction. I will just carry on with my research and wait wait wait!!

Thanks for all the advice.
xx

Back