• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone else have this issue?

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi Guys
Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with choosing new clothes with their dramatic weight loss. I can now shop in any high street shop at a size 14 but i come out 9 times out of 10 with nothing! There is too much choice and its so so alien to me i've never been much of a shopper! I don't know what style i want to take on bearing in mind i'm 48 and a granny lol. Has anyone else changed their style and if so does it get easier?
Allie xx
Ps This is not an ungrateful post i love being a size 14 but i'm struggling with how to go about the shopping xx

Hi Allie, yes I have the same problem. I'm a 14 as well, aged 46 and also a nan so am frightened of the "mutton dressed as lamb" tag. Its a bit of trial and error at the moment. Luckily I have an objective at the moment as I'm off on holiday in 2 weeks so I can narrow it down to holiday clothes, but it's a nightmare isn't it? I ask my daughter to make sure I don't pick things that are ridiculous and I'm trying to select classics that I can wear at work and at home but have yet to develop my style. I'm sure we will find it as time goes on

Same here guys!

I have been looking around at similarly aged women in the spotlight and looking at what they are wearing.

Such as Twiggy, Lulu, Jo Wood and others

Have changed my hairstyle already cos they all have fringes - thought I'd try it and I love it!!

Oh and don;t forget Cilla Black - she is MUCH older and looks fantastic :D

OMG I cant wait to have this problem.

Well done you guys.:)

I know what you mean Allie. I wish someone could tell me how to dress. I'm kind of sticking to the same stuff as what I wore when i was fat except in smaller sizes.

Hi Allie, I posted about this in my diary entry yesterday. Up until this week I was still dressing like I used to - too old for my age (32) and in clothes that simply fit and didn't necessarily look good.

At 6 1/2 stone down I too was scared stiff of buying new clothes, I had no idea where to start! :confused: But last week I took the plunge and spent three days out at the shops trying stuff on and I loved it! I suddenly discovered it wasn't that hard to find things that suited my shape and looked nice together.

My advice would be to just get out there and get experimenting, it's great fun and a new well fitting outfit can make you feel amazing! :D

Good luck,
Cuppa xx

Hi Guys
Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with choosing new clothes with their dramatic weight loss. I can now shop in any high street shop at a size 14 but i come out 9 times out of 10 with nothing! There is too much choice and its so so alien to me i've never been much of a shopper! I don't know what style i want to take on bearing in mind i'm 48 and a granny lol. Has anyone else changed their style and if so does it get easier?
Allie xx
Ps This is not an ungrateful post i love being a size 14 but i'm struggling with how to go about the shopping xx

Allie, you could always try a personal shopper - could be fun ;) although not sure how much they cost x

I am so glad you started this thread as i thought it was just me that could not make my mind up on what to buy, what styles, coulors ect.

This was something i was not expecting i thought it would be so much more easier the more shops i could go to. I love some of the styles they have now but at nearly 50 and a granmother what do you buy?

I just hope it gets easier as i go on. janey:confused:

Hi Allie, What a fantastic weight loss and size "14" Fab the last time I was this size I think I was 14 lol. Just been looking at cuppacocoa's photo's and she looks great all the clothes from Asda (big one at Toryglen) also you have quite a good TKmaxx at East Kilbride. Happy shopping, don't spend to much, also seen some lovely tops in Wallis.

Jeanx

I know how you feel, my most common question to my husband is "Am I too fat for this outfit?".

I love the shopping, but I TOTALLY agree about having too much choice, it's really hard and can be overwhelming.

I guess it's just something we will have to try and get used to. I am always looking out at what people are wearing, to get ideas. Looking at magazines/catalogues is fun too.

Rx

I am too scared to go shopping. I am afraid I will be too fat for the clothes even though I know logically it won't be the case. John Lewis has free personal shoppers and I plan on using them as I am clueless.

Perhaps someone should start a 'how to dress' thread on here for all to add to including fashion hints and tips for different shapes and sizes, where to buy, what's on offer and perhaps photos of things that look good...and not so good... :hmm:

Cuppa xx

great thread Allie, and I posted on a similar thread the other day about how hard I am finding it to shop.

Like you I am now in a size 14, and should be grateful, but am struggling to know what style of clothing to buy. Also, its difficult dressing to cover the lumps and bumps now.

At 36 I should be able to "get away" with wearing whatever I want, but like some of you have already posted, I dont want to draw attention to myself for wearing clothes that are too old or too young for me.

Also I'm struggling to get to grips with spending money on myself - particularly because I'm still shrinking, and dont want to waste money. It'll sound weird, but I pick something up in a shop and its say £30 for example, and I'll put it back thinking I can get a whole outfit for one of my kids for that!

Am loving the idea of a personal shopper though, and think thats something I might do once my weight has stabilised for a while.

Sounds like a good possibility Cuppa there are obviously a good few of us out there needing tips and advice. Funny Sam i'm the same now that i can buy cheaper i find myself putting things back too if i think they are too expensive whereas before having spent £100 and only come out of Evans with 1 bag was "normal" x

How weird you know thats just what i do Sam and gaelic girl where as before i would spend a fortune in evans on a top now i won't pay expensive for clothes i keep looking then seeing the price and putting them back and they are only half of the price than evans?????:confused:

YES YES YES! Allie all my adult life I have only ever shopped in Evans - occasionally New Looks larger range, but almost always Evans and I really struggle with what a 24 year old girl can wear. I comeout with things that would suit an older person, and sometimes kid looking clothes. I am also skint paying for this wedding and thats another factor to clothes buying. 9 times out of 10 I wear something someone has given me...my friends my family and stuff I take from Salford Hospital clothes rail....it is a pain, but I have no idea what suits me?! Grrr

hugs hun, im sure i will have probs too,

How about ebay? as us shrinking violets and dont want to pay alot for clothes. x

Back