• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

dr refusal and private ops?

Nilo

Minimins Addict
Well i've been to my drs who said he wouldn't refer me for wls funding as i don't meet the critia, depite having a bmi of 51.2, he offered medication but i've had that before and it was dreadfull.

So my question has anyone had a lapband done privately? who did it and if you don't mind saying how much did it cost?
I have no money but i'm hoping maybe i can get it done on finance or if i get desperate take my chances and go abroad. I'm so beyond desperate now.

nilo u do meet the criteria hun, see another gp sweetheart your entitled to a referal to a nhs surgeon its the surgeons decision if your suitable for wls not the gp, make an appointment with a diff gp, it took me a few attempts with the gp's to get my referal x

In Portsmouth you have to have a bmi of over 60 or 45 with a medical condition. Half tempted to relocate to an area with normal criteria, lol.

Hi

Im sorry you have been refused a referrel, its a bit of a postcode lottery Im afraid.

There are lots of people on here who have had a band fitted privately and there are lots of private companies out there.You can expect to pay between £5,000 and £8,000 depending on the company, location and aftercare package.

I had my band fitted with the WLS Group, they have clinics throughout the country but the operations are carried out in a variety of private hospitals.

Google the procedure and no doubt you will get lots of companies to look at.

Good luck x

good luck with what ever you decide nilo, the wls group is one of the better private wls providors x

I paid £6250 for mine. (This included a January discount of £700 - I should imagine with a bit of haggling you could try it on for this) with The Hospital Group.
The Hospital Group have mixed reviews for their after care which I did know before I had the lap-band op however - if I'b being really honest (eeeekkkkk) I just booked it because I was so desperate and the hubby said he would pay! I didn't want to have second thoughts so I booked my op within 5 days of my initial consultation.
I never considered going abroad so I can't really advise on that but I would have no hesitation in reccommending THG but I would just look at every provider and weigh up the pro's and con's.
If you do want further details on THG, I keep a diary on the WLS diary part of the forum and that has a bit more info on what to expect.

Good luck with whatever you choose
x

Just a thought but i was questioning pct criteria earlier for my OH who is not as fat as myself so i rang the hospital who are going to do my operation and asked them directly about criteria. Why not do that? At the same time get your GP to give you a full MOT and sleep apnoea test as well, you never know you may have something and not realise... Or alternatively move over to Wolverhampton with me, automatic funding if your bmi fits :)

Good luck and as Liz says try a different doctor. Just wondering if you were on good terms with the receptionist she might be able to point you in the right direction of a gp who is wls friendly... Or alternatively find a person on here who has had surgery and change to their gp :) :)

Good luck either way xx

you can come live with me have your bypass then go home xxx

Just a thought but i was questioning pct criteria earlier for my OH who is not as fat as myself so i rang the hospital who are going to do my operation and asked them directly about criteria. Why not do that?

Good idea Julie, the bospa website criteria may be out of date and if the gp is using that info! - deffo worth a try :D

Personally i'd go direct to the commissioning department of your PCT and ask them :D

A lot of doctors either don't know too much about wls and therefore are against it or have out of date information

Good luck with whichever way you go though :)

Thanks for all your lovely responses, how would i go about going to the commissioning dept?

Hi, I was told that I didn't meet the criteria for my PCT area too, so I ended up having it done privately. I had my band fitted at the Nuffield in Leeds, very good hospital and top surgeon, was very happy with my decision. It cost me £7450 with a two year aftercare package. I know some hospitals do finance deals too, so if you do decide to go private it's worth looking at what payment plans are offered with different providers.
But do as others have suggested too and follow this up with your PCT first.
X

hiya, As Julie (Phatmomma) says I'd ask for a sleep apnoea test as lots of people have it without being aware and it can be a co-morbidity. If you Google it you'll see some of the symptoms but I think you can't be sure you don't have it without the test. Also the MOT-make sure they use the large band for your blood pressure if you have big arms as the small one can give a false reading, and have all your bloods done as high cholesterol is a co-morbidity I think-and maybe fatty liver/Metabolic Syndrome.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Anyone know if pre diabetes counts as a comorbidity? I have high cholesterol but it is controlled with statins, but my last two blood tests said I was both borderline diabetic and borderline on a problem with my thyroid too.

Back