• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private or NHS? ie Finance or not???

I am currently pre op going through the NHS. My mum had the Gastric Bypass privately. I firstly went to see a surgeon privately but could not get the finance, so was initially gutted. I then started the NHS pathway and can not fault it. Yes it is a wait but I now no that I was nowhere near ready when I thought I was. The help and support your get on the NHS is amazing. My mum does say she is actually rather jealous of me for the help etc that I have received so far. I told myself that I have been overweight for over 8 years, what's another year & a half. There are pros and cons to either, I get very impatient! Good luck with your journey whichever you choose. x

I have some dates from the surgeon so I am trying to decide. I have now found out that the private package now matches the NHS - 2 year follow up exactly the same and it now also includes a psychologist which it didn't previously, so I would still have to be assessed again by them. This is all good news, I have been speaking to someone who went private and it was only 1 month between their first appointment and having the surgery! No psychological assessment or anything - that is a bit too quick!

Good luck with whatever you decide Hannah.

I wish private was an option for me, the only way I could it is by going abroad, which I'm not sure I want to do. NHS for me, hopefully anyway.

xxx

I was on the tier three program, refereed by my GP, on the nhs ,you have to go through a year of trying to loose weight yourself. I lost 24 lbs.this was run through the spire hospital group.
You have time at the gym every other week with a personal trainer , and see a nutritionist once a month , and once a month I h a therapist, session which I shared with another lady .
After the year was up you were discharged and the nutritionist wrote you GP a letter and decided you fate ! Surgery or not.
I made it clear I wanted it, from leaving the program I put on 10 lbs , my letter never arrived !!! Get lost.I followed it up and a copy letter arrived , surgery was denied.I was devastated,the weight was slowly creeping back,so I returned to my GP and broke down in tears , yet again.
She referred me back to spire, quite quickly my appointment arrived ,me thinking it was just a discussion app.
It turned out surgery had already been approved as my GP overruled the nutritionist so funding was approved on the Nhs.That very same day at spire I met my surgeon ,choose a mini by pass ( was offered a sleeve also, he doesn't like gastric bands). Picked my surgery date . Happened so quick, but my journey in all had been had been nearly 18 years of struggling to lose weight ,
So although I was Nhs. I've had the same care as private care,at spire hospital.my surgeon was fantastic, I wrote to him since surgery to thank him,didn't get a reply.I choose to have a 12 week gap from seeing my surgeon to surgery, as I needed to prepare mentally , which I know was the best choice for me.
Never regretted my mini bypass, a life saver , goes from a size 24 to a size 12,
A life saver

Hi Curls, thanks for posting your story, it all helps! So pleased that you managed to get surgery/turn around the decision. Were you offered the full bypass as well? Why the mini bypass? or was it just surgeons preference?

I have a date pencilled in, I just want to meet the surgeon with my OH to discuss a few things and then I think it will be finalised. So, it looks like I am going to go private, for a number of reasons, not just the speed of getting it done.

It is very real now! Still researching though and I keep asking more and more questions! I think I might be right up until I go to the hospital!

He recommended the mini bypass as it more successful, better results ,
I will say I don't get many side effects I'm very luckily , my only problem food is pasta and noodles I still eat them but only very small amounts , noodles tend to get stuck a little,.
I started eating bread after 8 months post op , it's not a problem at all now , I still eat chocolate as an occasional treat.
The early days were difficult as for the first three months I had acid but the was soon started with pills , just take vitamin pills now and Calcium With vitamin d , b12 injections every 3 months .
Have you been told you will need to take supplements for life ??

He recommended the mini bypass as it more successful, better results ,
I will say I don't get many side effects I'm very luckily , my only problem food is pasta and noodles I still eat them but only very small amounts , noodles tend to get stuck a little,.
I started eating bread after 8 months post op , it's not a problem at all now , I still eat chocolate as an occasional treat.
The early days were difficult as for the first three months I had acid but the was soon started with pills , just take vitamin pills now and Calcium With vitamin d , b12 injections every 3 months .
Have you been told you will need to take supplements for life ??
Hi Curls, yes I have been told that I will need to take supplements but that is just general information via the first group dietician (NHS stream), I have my first proper group NHS dietician appointment in a few weeks so I guess we will get more info then. However, I may have decided to book private by then and will cancel the NHS appointments so that someone else can take my place. Good news about the bread, not so good about the pasta! I will miss pasta if I cant eat it :(

Decision made........ Private it is! Booked for August!

We have moved our holiday to the beginning of August and then when I get back from holiday I will start the LRD.

Excited and scared at the same time!

Time will by that's for sure ! What did you decide to have done in the end ? And where ?
Mindy
Xxx

I decided on the By-pass Mindy.
I think in the long run it will be best for me - my weakness is sugar/sweet things so I think I will need that dumping fear!
I do worry about missing things in the long term, but hoping that being smaller/happier (hopefully) will compensate!

Decision made........ Private it is! Booked for August!

We have moved our holiday to the beginning of August and then when I get back from holiday I will start the LRD.

Excited and scared at the same time!

Hi Hannah. How exciting for you. I too, will be having gastric bypass surgery in August, (we can be buddies).

Unfortunately I've not been able to afford to go private. I really wish I could. I have been ready for this change for so long now, I can't stand it. Xxx

Hi Gemma, I will happily be your surgery buddy

I am not going to lie, it will be hard dealing with the loan, but this is something we, yes both me and my OH, want to do. I wouldn't be able to do it without her support.

If I stayed with the NHS it would probably be March next year for the op and the timing would be unpredictable, which is difficult with OHs job.

I am excited but also slightly scared to say that I am sure that August will be here before we know it! When in August are you planned for? Do you know?

I decided on the By-pass Mindy.
I think in the long run it will be best for me - my weakness is sugar/sweet things so I think I will need that dumping fear!
I do worry about missing things in the long term, but hoping that being smaller/happier (hopefully) will compensate!

Have to say that's one of the reasons why I opted for the bypass I wanted something that without doubt would keep me in check the dumping would do just that! So far I've only been sick 2x it's mostly the " Tom tits" tmi I know!

Hi Gemma, I will happily be your surgery buddy

I am not going to lie, it will be hard dealing with the loan, but this is something we, yes both me and my OH, want to do. I wouldn't be able to do it without her support.

If I stayed with the NHS it would probably be March next year for the op and the timing would be unpredictable, which is difficult with OHs job.

I am excited but also slightly scared to say that I am sure that August will be here before we know it! When in August are you planned for? Do you know?

I am August too :) It will come round so quick.

So my funding has been approved! Surgery likely to be Sept:Oct. oh gosh- oh good!

Congratulations! :)

Back