• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

First trip to docs about wls

gillianr2

Well i've been to my docs today and for the first time i've mentioned wls to him. He was very supportive of it and me. He said the main problem is in my area (South Lanarkshire, Scotland) there hasn't been much call for it or people asking to be referred so there really aren't any guidelines for the area ect that he can look at and give me an idea of. Basically the more people that ask to be referred the better chances of them having to do something about it. I don't know if that's hopeful or not to be honest.

He said that normally if anyone comes in with a weight problem then they would refer them to their clinical nurse who would go through diet and excersise with them but he has known me long enough that I have been on tons of diets and i'm still the same size as I was. He said that if i've reached the point of being happy to do smething surgical about it then he's more than happy to refer me to our local hospital to see if the surgeons there will be able to do anything for me or at least have a chat with me about possible options.

I don't know how to feel about it to be honest. On one han i'm really happy and excited that he was happy to refer me and help but on the other hand I feel a little down that there doesn't seem to be any clear guidelines or funding for it in my area which makes me think i've no chance of getting anything done.

Well at least it was a step in the right direction deary! I was recenltly referred to consider wls and had my initial meeting with the weightloss managment people. This is a framwork that has been set up but there is a multitude of things you have to try before you will even be considered for wl surgery. So maybe thats something you will miss out on - (which would be a good thing) as i will have to try the different diets and advice they give me to see if my weight will shift. Im happy to do this but extremely dubious about it!! Do you have any diabeties or anything because sometimes you are eligible if you have that and your BMI is a certain level. I dunno - anyway - shall be a long journey for us both but i wish you all the best! :) xx

Jem, a lot of GP's like to know you've tried the pills and the diets, some hospitals insist on them having been tried.

There are certain illnesses that are classed as comorbidities that support weight loss surgery. I am diabetic so am lucky in one way, my husband has sleep apnoea so that would/will qualify him for wls if he takes that route.

I know it's hard in Scotland, we do have a couple of scottish members and am sure one of them will come by soon to see if they can help...

Good luck and don't get too despondent xx

Hi Jem,

No I don't have diabetes, just raised a thread abouth that actually a couple of days ago!

I have a heart condition called SVT but don't think that will come under health problems caused by obesity, it may do though.

It's just all a bit dunious with no framework in my area there mustn't be a budget for i either which doesn't seem too hopefull. If I had the money I would go and do it pprivately in a heartbeat but I have no way of paying for it privately.

Good luck to you, hopefully you wont have to wait too long!!

I think my doctor would have suggested the diets ect too if he didn't already know about them all, I have also been on xenical before a couple of times too. I wish it was all a bit more clear cut in Scotland at least then I would know where I stand.

Back