• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New here and so confused!

BebeSmalls

Hello! After over 5 years indecision, research, and changing my mind, I finally decided to go private (North East) last autumn.. Yes in the middle of a pandemic.. Its been really weird trying to get any support or guage whether this is a terrible idea.
So far I have had an initial Consultation with surgeon + appointment with dietitian, and a brief follow up with the surgeon again - all over zoom. I've been invited in for an endoscopy, but I'm quite scared. I need to get a taxi there and back, both for the appointment and for a covid swab 4 days prior - the journeys alone will cost over 100 quid in total and I've convinced myself I'll catch covid in the taxi... I can't get sedation because I'm going by myself and i don't have anyone to talk to about it all. They have said I can bring a family member, but I live far from them and I don't feel comfortable asking friends who are being strict with their bubbles etc. Sorry for the outpouring of worry, just feels a relief to get it out somewhere!
I was convinced I would like the sleeve, but the surgeon said he would rather do the bypass because he thinks I will come back in 10 years asking for it anyway.
I know I'm paying privately (on finance) so shouldn't expect kindness, patience and support, but I do feel really shocked there is no real advice other than "talk to a family member" I know I cannot be the first person who does not feel comfortable discussing weight or weight loss surgery with friends and family 😔 feel really alone with it all. I've been made to feel if I live alone and don't have a network I cannot go ahead with the endoscopy or the surgery itself.

Hello! After over 5 years indecision, research, and changing my mind, I finally decided to go private (North East) last autumn.. Yes in the middle of a pandemic.. Its been really weird trying to get any support or guage whether this is a terrible idea.
So far I have had an initial Consultation with surgeon + appointment with dietitian, and a brief follow up with the surgeon again - all over zoom. I've been invited in for an endoscopy, but I'm quite scared. I need to get a taxi there and back, both for the appointment and for a covid swab 4 days prior - the journeys alone will cost over 100 quid in total and I've convinced myself I'll catch covid in the taxi... I can't get sedation because I'm going by myself and i don't have anyone to talk to about it all. They have said I can bring a family member, but I live far from them and I don't feel comfortable asking friends who are being strict with their bubbles etc. Sorry for the outpouring of worry, just feels a relief to get it out somewhere!
I was convinced I would like the sleeve, but the surgeon said he would rather do the bypass because he thinks I will come back in 10 years asking for it anyway.
I know I'm paying privately (on finance) so shouldn't expect kindness, patience and support, but I do feel really shocked there is no real advice other than "talk to a family member" I know I cannot be the first person who does not feel comfortable discussing weight or weight loss surgery with friends and family 😔 feel really alone with it all. I've been made to feel if I live alone and don't have a network I cannot go ahead with the endoscopy or the surgery itself.
Hi and welcome, firstly payi Privately for surgery certainly does not mean you shouldn’t expect kindness, patience or support, there is so much inf on this forum, I found it invaluable when I begun my journey so have a look around, a lot of diaries including mine are in the bronze section so you have to post 100 posts to access them, it’s worth keep posting to gain access in my opinion although there is plenty of other diaries to read.
I understand your concerns and can only ask if you would consider waiting until the pandemic is under control before going any further forward in your journey.
as far as your surgery choice, it’s important to remember it’s your choice, your money, do your own researc, ask him why he thinks you would be back in 10 years and research his answer. I’m not saying don’t take any notice of your surgeon, definitely listen to him and his advice but do your own research.
good luck x

Thank you :) I'm so glad I found this forum, and maybe that funny feeling of not getting patience or support indicates its not the right provider - i do feel they are rushing me a bit and almost not acknowledging the pandemic is a weird and scary time!

Back