• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Dr Super or not so super ????

cam1983

Hi

Really scared and nervous but excited.
Scared because I have never had disapline with my eating and cheated myself with every diet !!!!
Nervous because of the unexpected ... How will I feel ? Will I have loads of excess skin ? How fast / much effort will it take to lose the weight.
Excited because it is a new chapter in my life and I want it so bad.

Has anyone had surgery done by Dr Super at Birmingham ??
Is he good at procedure and stitches ?
Does he put the band in empty or with some filling ?

Thanks in advance x

Cam, welcome to your weight loss journey!

If you've not had discipline for diets in the past, just give a bit more thought if a band is for you, it is exceptionally easy to cheat with it if you so desire.

It's normal to have nerves, second thoughts, sleepless nights, questions and doubts, welcome to the club :eek:

You will almost certainly get excess skin, how much depends on how much you have to lose, your body makeup, and luck. Better to have skin than fat, I think, I have quite a bit, but it could be worse ;)

Everyone seems to have differences with providers, some have fluid in at the time of operating (I didn't), some have good stitches, which depends on your healing and skin, not really the skill of the surgeon. Pre and post op diets vary with providers, it's not a rigid formula set in stone.

The band is the cheapest option and THG seem to be cheaper, but make sure that it matches your eating habits before you rush in and get one

Last edited:
Thank you,

I think I'm in the right frame of mind now after 18 years of being fat (since the age of 12) and feel like this is the last chance saloon !!!!

I'm approaching 30 with 2 children that need me and a husband who loves me ........ This needs to work and I can't afford to just waste £5000+ on it not working.

I keep thinking everyday, that this time next year I will be lighter and its encouraging but I am a person that has high expectations of myself and the first sign of failure knocks me back.

This is why I want to have every knowledge and be prepared x

Thank you

I feel like I'm ready because I'm in the right frame of mind, I'm just approaching 30, got 2 young kids that need me and a husband who loves me.
Every day, I think that this time next year I will be lighter and it excites me.
It's like my last chance saloon and I don't have £5000+ to just throw away !!!!

I'm just concerned because I've spent 18 years over weight and sometimes a mindless eater that doesn't hear what my body wants - I can't wait to be able to listen to what my body needs.

I'm scared cos its the unknown for me but eager to find out what it's like and feel the weight coming off me ( when I see how good I can start to look, then I'm sure I will be spurred on to lose more )

X

I was told I wouldn't have excess skin because of my age (I'm 35), but I have lost weight so rapidly that I do have a fair bit. I have been exercising. moisturising and drinking plenty of water.
A tummy-tuck is my only option to get rid of it.
I am yet to have kids and find the man I want to have kids with so I need to get rid of my flab to find that man! lol
I won't tell you about my experience with the band, but I will say if you are prone to cheating on diets, you may want to speak to a counsellor to understand why you cheat. The band is very easy to put weight on with if you are not in the correct frame of mind and it's too easy to get the bad stuff down your throat.
I'm sure you will do great though, if you are as determined as you come accross, it will be a success for you. Good luck :)

Your body will say eat me to chocolate, sweets, crisps etc afterwards. This doesn't fix your head, you have to get that sorted as well.

The band will say however, I've had enough now, so stop and if you ignore it (you learn the signal:cry:), then you just throw up. Odd but a really good part of having one.

You may have loads of things that you can't eat afterwards like pasta, bread, wheat products, grapes etc we are all slightly different and try everything to see what works for you and what doesn't.

As far as I am aware its's your genetics which decide the skin. Water, exercise, massage, moisturising don't make much of a difference. I am naively surprised about how much skin I have, mine isn't too bad, just more than I expected. Not bad enough to have skim removal as a must, but definitely planning a boob job, but a tummy tuck may be more than I am prepared to do.

I had no concept of losing this much weight, and I definitely have not been eating like a saint, many people have been good. But for me I've done that in the past and then failed so I've stuck to 95% good which is more me.

A year ago I was size 20. Had my band in July and am now a size 8. People don't recognise me, and that includes my husband as well !!!!

I had mr super but done via healthier weight and at spire in Birmingham. He uses glue and not stitches which means I could shower straight after. He is great and I had him as I searched for a surgeon that had a zero % mortality rate. As for a fill that depends on more which provider you're going with rather than the surgeon as it is their guidelines he will follow.

I've now had my band for 7 months. It's not easy, in fact it's damn hard work and if you don't have discipline then you may find the band an incredibly difficult option, it's very easy to cheat with. A band doesn't stop you eating, it doesn't fix the thoughts in your head, neither will it fix your weight, but is a tool which if you work with can work well.

I've lost just short of 8 stone in 7 months, and a way to go yet, lots and lots of excess skin and in places I didn't imagine, it's been a lot of hard work as it is only a few weeks since I've had any restriction, until that point I could eat anything, n any amount and in any way - willpower and self control however was the only thing that stopped me - you need lots with the band!

Hello ladies and thank you all ..........

I've got consultation on 14th with THG and hoping to get it done ASAP ( been thinking about it for months now and reading loads / watching loads on you tube)

But I do feel like this has to be done as my last chance because my weight gain cannot continue. My husband is very supportive but would love me to be happier with my appearance and my kids need a healthier mother.

Great news about dissolvable stitches. But not so great about the excess skin !!!!

How was the recovery time and did you get sick note for work ????
Very important because I can get time off but still have 2 little ones under 5 yrs to look after.

Was thinking of doing a week to trial myself on the pre-op food plan ?????
I'm assuming from all I've read it is mainly milk and yogurt ...... Anything else ???

Thanks x

My pre-op was just low-fat, high protein under 1000 cals per day, but that was for the sleeve. I didn't have a pre-op before I had my band. Every team is different with regards to pre-op diets. You just have to follow what they tell you. It will do you no harm trying the milk and yoghurt diet for a few days to see how you get on with reduced calorie intake. Good luck x

Hi Cam. i always thought i would have a gastric band it was the hospital that suggested the bypass to me said it suited my lifestyle n the way i ate best. Wait till after your consultancy, you may change your mind i still struggle with head hunger with bypass, but band you need much more will power and all too easy to cheat with bypass it can make you dump n thats not nice, restriction is good am 19 months out and from start have lost 10 1/2 stone. Have you got a lot to loose? x

I had mr super and he was super. Again, like topkat it was important for me to understand the mortality rate was zero, but apart from that I chose thg because they were closest to me apart from spire (but personally I couldn't justify paying more for the same surgeon just to be banded in a hospital 10 miles closer to home. But that's my personal choice. I have no complaints about the op or the aftercare I have received. Mr super made five incisions and glued them ... And they are barely noticeable now 20 months down the line. He didn't actually fill the band, but there was a teeny bit of fluid in there from when they flushed/checked it out at the time of the op. I saw him immediately after the op when he discharged me, but after that have had no contact. Not needed to have done. Follow up has all been on a regular basis via dietician/nurse face to face or on the phone as required.

My milk diet consisted of milk and yoghurts ... But I had the odd slice of cucumber as I struggled just having liquids. My teeth needed to nibble.

You do have to go in with the right frame of mind, as so many others have said, the band can be cheated. I can eat most things including bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/meat. My old demons such as bread, I really struggle with more than a slice and a half nowadays, whereas previously I could have eaten 4-6 slices :eek: I would say, hanging my head in shame, that I can still manage a family size bag of choccies :rolleyes: and I have had the odd day that I have eaten those ... But I always plan in what I eat, and MUST eat my protein (and lots of it) over and above everything else. So I have far more self control than I ever ever had.

I am in my mid 40s so my skin is not young ... i have lost almost 11 stones, but my stomach is almost washboard flat. Spare skin has created bingo wings and a bit of a saggy bum, but unless I am naked, no one can tell that I was ever porky :)

Good luck on the 14th, keep us updated :D

It is very interesting reading all your advice and tips, I am taking everything on board and very excited

Last edited:
Yay... My op is the second week in May as well.

I've just done 10 days of milk, back to food now :D love it.

Did it for stupid (and I mean stupid reasons), but I top up on it every 10 days or so but normally just for a couple of days, a bit like the fasting diet that seems to be in fashion at the moment.

Don't forget your vitamins, something salty like marmite and and iron will to you get the hang of it, Latte's count :D

Back