• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol and bypass

alison1979

Hi can anyone advise me, i am wanting to know when havin a bypass are you able to drink alcohol at all??. i dont drink alot but do want to know if i can never drink again.

My team advise keeping away from it for 6 months, and then only the occasional one, I'm tiddly on one pub measure these days

Yes you can drink again but that would depend on what your team has told you. I've had pear cider with lots of ice to take away the fizz and also partial to a wee glass of wine or two. Beware though you do get drunk quicker so maybe try alcohol in the house first just in case.

Thats good to hear, i think about going to weddings and things and havin orange everytime. i will be prepeared for just having the odd half of larger lol

It varies from surgeon to surgeon. Mine advised to stay off for a year which I did.

I find I drink far too much now though :(

I haven't yet tried alcohol, I may do in the future as my son is 18 soon and so we will be celebrating, Will let u know how it goes xx

My team advice to wait four months. The week before my four months was up i had one vodka and was surprised by how tiddly i got. I decided to have a practice run at home before i went on a girls night out for the first time, so i could work out where my new limits are.
I find that i get drunk really easily, but i also seem to sober up easier too, so i'm a much more steady drinker than i used to be !

I never asked my surgeon about alcohol but after about two months I started drinking vodka and orange, I get drunk easier but I'm never sick now when I am drunk but before my op I would be

I'd thought I'd have to wait a while but after about 6 weeks I asked WLS and they said no problem - just take it easy and try it at home first. Well for some reason now I don't seem to like the taste of wine. However I've been drinking Bloody Marys and they go down really well - I just have one before dinner in the evening and that's fine for me. I'm wary of having fruit juice - don't want dumping!

All the above has helped thank you i will wait as long as it takes that does not bother me, i just wanted to know if i could ever drink again, which it seams like i can so thats fine.
thanks.

Hi, I spoke with my surgeon and dietician this morning . . . I am 2 weeks post op and pleased to say I am doing very well~ each individual surgeon seems to offer different advice – mine, for example, makes sure you are OK on pureed foods before you leave hospital and alcohol, is OK 3 weeks post op provided you follow the golden rules (not to drink on an empty stomach and to try things in the safety of your own home first) there was of course the usual caveat of “alcohol containing empty calories” but other than that no worries xx

That sound good kevin, i was told sometime ago that i would never be able to drink alcohol evere again, needed to know if this was true as i needed to know to come to terms with being T total the rest of my life lol.

That sound good kevin, i was told sometime ago that i would never be able to drink alcohol evere again, needed to know if this was true as i needed to know to come to terms with being T total the rest of my life lol.

Provided we stick to the rules and are careful not to replace one addiction with another (i.e. food / alcohol) then all will be well. I had some concerns about liquid diet -v- puréed diet after reading some posts on here hence contacting my team. I guess I am lucky leaving hospital on a puréed diet and being able to progress to ‘soft’ food within 3 weeks . . . I must confess I am looking forward to going out at the weekend for a 3 bean chilli and a glass of rosé (small steps) as I thought these days might have gone for good . . .

i drink still, not very often maybe every couple of weeks will have a night out with a few drinks.
I can't drink anywhere near what i used to....1 pint of cider and i am well on my way to being tipsy.....have yet to make it past 3 pints over a whole evening....takes me about an hour to drink a pint now...instead of 20 minutes :D haha

I had my first drink 2 and half months post op...it was my 30th birthday, i couldn't have a cake i was damn well having a couple of drinks lol :)
lesson learnt from that night out?.....stay away from the sweet summer fruit ciders, didn't agree by the end of the night.

I tend to stick to strongbow cider or white/rose wine....still haven't touched spirits...yet :D

Back