• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking with food

clar01

I'm struggling to eat at the min, a couple of fork fulls and I'm full, last couple of days only managed 400 cals. It almost feels as if I need to wash the food down, I am so thirsty every time I eat but am religiously waiting the 30 mind before I drink, I'm drinking lots is squash at other times so I shouldn't be thirsty.

Can someone explain to me what will happen if u drink and eat, as I really think I will be able to eat slightly more if I have just a couple of sips throughout my meal!

Any thoughts, I plan to all my surgeon tomorrow.

X

If you haven't chewed properly, or given things time to digest. You can flush chunks of food through too quickly and cause blockages, or over stretch your pouch.

Thanks Paula

I wish I could drink protein shakes! At least then that could be a meal and quench my thirst at the same time.

Just been googling it, and the science behind it is very scary, so I will resist temptation and not drink.

Try a fruit smoothie. I make my own, it's easy. I buy frozen mixed berries from Asda. Pop a handful in a jug with half a banana, some vanilla soya milk and a little dash of milk just to thin it. Blitz it with the blender and drink. It's lush, I tell you :)

I have a really bad habit of eating and drinking together. I can't seem to stop doing it. I am really worried about stretching my stomach! Yikes! Must stop it now! xx

It's not just the stretching but the food is flushed down too quick before it is absorbed at all. You want it to be absorbed as much as possible, plus fat is washed down and without being absorbed it can't be used in more useful ways the body needs and so it it is just get stored in the way we don't want it too. So really, really important rule but I understand sometimes it is hard - hot weather it's really hard so make the most of the cold weather :) x

I also find that smoothies are my answer and can't believe how easy they are to make- embarrassed that I ever bought them!! I was having the same problem as you- managed 2 spoons then felt bit full and thirsty at same time. We are so used to eating and drinking together that it will take ages to get used to I imagine!! Good luck!!

It ha staken me a long time to get used to not drinking and eating, still do it occasionally but try not to most of the time, my worst time is if I am having toast, or I prefer my granola with a cup rather than have it with milk like a cereal but suppose that is just the same, some things are just to dry to have without a drink. x

Back