• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

drinking with meals

ditsy_dame

I'm a little confused about this. I'm now 13 weeks post op and starting to eat regular food. The advice I got said not to have anything to drink with meals, even water, but to either have a drink 30 minutes before or 30 minutes after eating. What's confusing me is the reason. I think they said because fluids dilute the food wash it down and make you feel hungry sooner, but it's the opposite for me. If I forget and have some water soon after eating I feel really full. Not hungry. If anything, drinking shortly after meals would keep me full for longer. Anyone know?

If you drink prior to or after a meal it does fill you up but fluids move through the newly formed stomach/pouch quickly so that feeling of fullness doesn't last as long as it would if you were full on just food.

hi ditsy if you read the sticky pouch rules for dummies at the top of threads that will explain all take care x

You also risk not being able to eat as much as you should be doing as your pouch will be fuller sooner thus slowing your weight loss down.

Ditsy don't forget, it's different for you as a sleever. With your sleeve you still have the pylori sphincter which controls flow from the stomach to the intestines, which bypassers don't have. So like you said, if you drink soon after eating it will make you feel full and uncomfortable initially as your tummy will still be holding a lot of food. If you do this regularly it could cause stretching of your stomach and problems with the bottom of your oesophagus. It's similar with drinking before, as it won't pass straight through but could sit in your stomach for a while making it harder for you to eat.

Hope that helps,

Shel x

Back