• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Drinking with meals

Phee

Hello,
I had a sleeve 4 weeks ago and was told not to drink for 30mins before/after eating. However I find it so much more comfortable to take small sips of cold tea with my meals - and especially straight after eating. It stops me feeling sick.

I'm addicted to cold tea at the moment - it's the only drink that I can comfortably get down, and the only thing that seems to ease my heartburn.

Why is drinking and eating at the same time bad? Is it just about capacity or is there another reason?

Thanks.

The reason the no drinking rule is in place as it pushes the fluids through your pouch quicker and therefore making u feel hungrier quicker and in turn u eat more. xxx

It turns your food liquid and pushes it through too quick,its all about giving the food time to have the vitamins absorbed by our now very small stomach.Its one of the things you have to get used to or you will be malnourished and ill.Like eating protein first, eating slowly and chewing well these are our Golden rules for healthy bodies.You dont want to ruin everything now.Have your cold tea just 30 mins before food!

It's the intestines that absorb the nutrients and some vitamins from the food that we eat not the stomach, but not only does drinking while eating empty your pouch quicker thus allowing you to eat more or making you feel hungry sooner, it also pushes the food through your greatly shortened pipework quicker thus increasing the malabsorption of the nutrients we need. It can also cause late-onset dumping syndrome as the food hits your intestines too quickly

If you want to maximise your chances of lifelong success you need to find a way to follow this important rule honey x

Hi Phee

Im not a sleever but as you will have seen from the replies above from other non sleevers the 'rule' applies to all.

Its not nice to feel sick but as Karlos says it really is a habbit you need to knock on the head. You also get back in touch with your team if you physically cant eat without drinking x

it was the hardest part to give up i thought because all my life i drank at the same time as eating but now i don't , but on the flip side i definitely do not drink enough fluids at all :( i now take 18 tablets a day for various things but is really hard to get them in and not drink 30 mins each way of food when some are supposed to be with food :)

I have found this aspect of the sleeve the hardest. I live in an extremely hot country (47 degrees today) and waiting 30 mins to quench my thirst after a meal sometimes seems like torture. I have not yet conquered it but have been told if I dont stick to it my pouch will stretch so I have been strict for the last month. It has made hanging out with my friends and eating out difficult as I have to explain to waitress why I dont want a drink with my meal and tell my friends I have to wait 30 mins before a drink. I also get uncomfortable sometimes and feel a sip would help something stuck in my throat but try your best to resist. I hate to think that by drinking just after I've eaten will affect my tool and weight loss on a whole. I have to admit that I struggle with this daily but have been getting better week by week.
Good luck.
Hello,
I had a sleeve 4 weeks ago and was told not to drink for 30mins before/after eating. However I find it so much more comfortable to take small sips of cold tea with my meals - and especially straight after eating. It stops me feeling sick.

I'm addicted to cold tea at the moment - it's the only drink that I can comfortably get down, and the only thing that seems to ease my heartburn.

Why is drinking and eating at the same time bad? Is it just about capacity or is there another reason?

Thanks.

I agree, I love my sleeve (and most of the time it loves me back!) but I find the hardest thing is waiting 30 minutes afterwards for a drink :(

Phee - Like you this was one of the hardest things for me to achieve post op as I am a big water drinker and always used to have a good 2 glasses with a meal.

Someone posted a clip of a chap on You-tube that explained why it's so important, he used apple sauce and a funnel to show you...I am going to see if I can find it...sorry can't find it, hopefully someone on here may be able to link it for you - as it was very interesting to actually watch the process.

Good luck
x

Back